Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rust Issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
^ +1 on rust work while doing the rear diff. My 9 also has the same amount of rust, especially in the rear. While I was doing the rear diff plate re-stack, I was able to work on the rust on the sway bars, mustache bar, drive shaft, diff housing/supports, and of course the frame since the subframe was lowered to maneuver parts around. Scraped as much crud as I could, sprayed rust converter, then fluid film. A year later, it still looks ok!

I bought the car in 2014 and initially tried silver POR15 in the same areas. Most were ok, but the areas where the subframe bolted re-rusted, even with my scraping before applying POR15. So yea, it seems unless you get every last speck of dust out, fluid film works better for damage control
Old Mar 4, 2020, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use a wire wheel and try to get as much of the rust out to see the real damaged. Once you get all the rust out see what you can do to patch or weld another piece of metal in that area until you can afford another shell.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 09:29 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitEvoIX
My car (as well as probably every other Evo driven in the rust belt) exhibits similar characteristics. Ironically, my body is rust-free. Unfortunately I don't think any amount of grinding and painting (with the rear suspension still in the car) is going to do much good ... unless you can coat the subframe inside and out, you are only buying some time.

I had my front subframe replaced as part of the recall ... I wonder if the rear subframe rust has the potential to be a recall as well ... there is potential for the whole rear suspension to come out if that attachment point fails ... that could be a safety issue.

I think Kevin is right in his thinking ... perhaps if enough of us go on the NHTSA website with our VIN #'s along with descriptive photos, maybe they will do an investigation. It can't hurt. Again, they recalled the front crossmember:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Got rust? File a complaint.