Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Old timer, thinking of getting another but torn!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old timer, thinking of getting another but torn!

Some of you might remember me from years ago, had an '03 Evo till about '07 which for a while was the fastest stock ecu and stock bottom end Evo in the country. Ran a 10.6 with a 35r with stock block, tranny, tires, ecu and full interior. Sold it when we had our 3rd kid and purchased a Pontiac G8 GT a few years later. Fast forward 10+ years and I can't even believe I'm debating this but the last couple weeks I've seriously been thinking of selling my G8 which I swore I would never do and coming back to a Evo. Original reason for selling my Evo was it was impossible to fit all 3 kids in the back with car seats. Plus I was at the point where I was needing to build the motor/transmission to make much more power.
Well we now have 4 kids so they don't fit in the G8 either I know they are completely different cars but I've loved both of them. Evo was stupid fast for little money and handled like a go-kart. Running 10's when I sold it for just a little over $10k in mods and still full street trim. 0-60 in under 3 seconds just isn't in the G8's future! Plus I really miss the turbo and manual aspect. G8 is just so much nicer, roomier and can't beat the sound of the V8.

Been looking at Evo's again for a couple weeks and I can't believe the prices they are going for! I want something with lower miles and am set on Blue, White or Silver in that order. I think I've narrowed it down to an '05 or '06. Is there really much difference other then the front fascia and Mivec? Evo 9's seem to be a few thousand more for similar miles so wondering if it is worth it?

Any help or advice for getting an alumni back into the game would be appreciated! I know that the mods/options and long term reliability of the cars and mods have changed a lot since I got into the scene fairly early. How are things holding up and what should I consider when getting back into one?

Here are a couple pics of my current ride as well:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...476f56ad95.jpg
Old Aug 1, 2018, 05:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey, great to see you post back up & thinking of getting an EvO again (that says alot about the platform)

Heres a good thread to re-familiarize yourself w/the models differences
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...odel-year.html

BTW, your G8 looks cool

Yeah, you are correct about the market price. We are seeing some level of appreciation

Old Aug 1, 2018, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 195 Likes on 183 Posts
From what I've seen, the MIVEC helps with spool, but (for some reason) the non-MIVEC motors make more power in the big power setups. Maybe someone can chime in on why or if MIVEC should make more up top.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 06:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
From what I've seen, the MIVEC helps with spool, but (for some reason) the non-MIVEC motors make more power in the big power setups. Maybe someone can chime in on why or if MIVEC should make more up top.
Hi Don

Heres a commercialized view of MIVEC. Its only 2 min long but explains the bennies

Old Aug 1, 2018, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I agree that with MIVEC, we can get broader power.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Kinda sounds like once you start really modding that the MIVEC looses some of it's advantages though.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NIevo
Kinda sounds like once you start really modding that the MIVEC looses some of it's advantages though.
I think there's a trade off of peak top end for low end/less lag. I think MIVEC will be more fun to drive on street.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
As far as full bolt ons and stock turbo the MiVec will make power easier than a car without MiVec but with similar mods. However, IMO it seems like once you add cams into the equation the MiVec loses it luster. Hope to see you come back. We need more Evo owners in Idaho!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Its never as much fun the second time around. Still, the Evo is the embodiment of what a driver's car should be. Maybe go a different route this time exploring suspension and brakes.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Its never as much fun the second time around. Still, the Evo is the embodiment of what a driver's car should be. Maybe go a different route this time exploring suspension and brakes.
I know, but I really miss the manual and turbo. I can do both to the G8 but a Manual swap runs about $3k and the Turbo's with fuel will be in the $9k range.