Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo RS & Turbo Timer Help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo RS & Turbo Timer Help

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the Evo, but not new to cars. I have my RS on pre-order, and I was hoping you guys could give me a hand figuring out which turbo timer to get.

I already searched, and it's been very confusing to figure out which is which. So please don't say go search

Anyway, since I won't have power door locks or any fancy security/entry options, that won't be an issue. I'm looking for something that will:

* work
* easy to install
* cheap to buy and keep

If someone has any information to help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ken
Old Apr 9, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

i know you can get the greddy and HKS turbo timer's with harnesses which make them very simple to install. basically just plug them into your ignition harness.

from my experience of having both, the greddy is more user friendly and you can't beat the price.

hope that helps
Old Apr 9, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

So you're saying this particular model:
http://www.greddy.com/products/produ...0Turbo%20Timer

Where may I buy the harness for it? Greddy's site doesn't list a harness application for the Evo.

Thanks for all of your help,
Ken
Old Apr 9, 2004, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

the Blitz has a great small 'remote' wired module. easy to mount and works great. 2 versions. 1 has a boost gauge (digital display but mechanical connection). the other is just a turbo timer. machevo.com has it as well as others.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 03:09 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the g6civcx unit. It's the best one. In other words, the last 2 or 3 miles before your destination drive lightly and you'll be fine. You'll also have money to use on other mods that would have gone into the timer. You'll also know absolutely, positively that it worked as it should. You'll also save some expensive fuel every time you shut your car off and you'll do that much more to protect the environment. Turbo timers are for if you are too lazy or too lacking in self control to do it yourself.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by g6civcx

Where may I buy the harness for it? Greddy's site doesn't list a harness application for the Evo.

Ken
You should use the 2nd gen DSM harness (95-99 Eclipse).
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice, everybody.

I think this one looks good for my needs:
http://machevo.com/bututi.html

And LDB, you have a perfectly legitimate point. But I need something for when I run errands on time constraints. So for my application, a turbo timer is totally appropriate.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 05:22 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And LDB, you have a perfectly legitimate point. But I need something for when I run errands on time constraints. So for my application, a turbo timer is totally appropriate.
So you're saying you are on such amazing time constraints that the extra 47 seconds to drive moderately the last couple of miles is going to make a difference? Sorry, but I won't buy it.

The only time you should possibly have an issue is if you are rushing someone to the emergency room and that one time of not letting off the last couple miles won't mean anything in the grand scheme of the universe.

TT's are all about making money off guys who won't use a modicum of self control. I'm not knocking you and this isn't meant as a flame, just a statement of fact.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

LDB, he didn't ask whether a TT was a good idea or not. He asked what kind of TT that we thought would be the best for his needs. Anyways, I have the HKS type 1 and the HKS harness. It works very well. It has a bunch of other functions, but I never use them. Good luck.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by LDB

So you're saying you are on such amazing time constraints that the extra 47 seconds to drive moderately the last couple of miles is going to make a difference? Sorry, but I won't buy it.

The only time you should possibly have an issue is if you are rushing someone to the emergency room and that one time of not letting off the last couple miles won't mean anything in the grand scheme of the universe.

TT's are all about making money off guys who won't use a modicum of self control. I'm not knocking you and this isn't meant as a flame, just a statement of fact.
Thank you. I'm perfectly aware of the issues you raise. Again, for my application, the turbo timer is totally appropriate. Not that I need to justify myself, but for what I use the car for, a turbo timer is not only appropriate, but necessary.

Thanks again for your input.

And for everybody else, thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Ken
This is the one I have and got it a Lancershop with the harness. It only took me 30 min. to install.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

stop trolling LBD, answer the question or don't post.

I have the Blitz DTT DCII and i love it. buy the harness, it's worth it
Old Jun 6, 2004, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

how does the harness look like and where does it locate to?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

The Greddy TT is the way to go. I have it with no complaints and good price. As well as knowing many other owners who have it,,,
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

a turbo timer is a turbo timer, just get the cheapest one you can find. i had the blitz fatt on my first evo. 80 bux or something.

Quick Reply: Evo RS & Turbo Timer Help