Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice for new Alternator

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need advice for new Alternator

Hello All,

Looks like my Alternator is going, Battery and brake lights are on.
What do you guys recommend, OEM alternator or just get a replacement one? If replacement, please let me know what's the best one out there.

thank you!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:14 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
OEM because it's not fun to swap, though I got the process down to 45mins. It sucks. I think I read a gen III eclipse alternator works.
The following users liked this post:
SwabeLife (Aug 14, 2018)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Replaced my alternator with an OEM about a year and a half ago, it went bad recently. Put in a Napa Rayloc Alternator. Cost like 100 bucks and comes with a lifetime warranty and supposedly it's supposed to be a good brand so I'm giving it a try. So far so good, but I did have to grind the circle metal piece that is pushed into the alternator bracket for it to fit on the bracket on the motor.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 01:02 PM
kaj

If you killed another alternator, you may have a problem causing them to die? I'd at least look into it. Also, life-time warranties are great. I used to have them for my Honda axles and other parts. Unfortunately, I used the warranties on a monthly basis, it seemed. :lol; Life-time warranty = replacing on a regular basis LOL. For me: paying more for OEM and replacing once > paying for cheaper parts and replacing multiple times. Unless I had something killing off the parts, of course.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I mean I wouldn't say I'm killing them. My first one lasted over 100k miles and the one that went bad just over a year.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Get oem. I recently changed my alternator with new oem from MAPerformance.com . As already stated in earlier post by KAJ it’s not fun replacing the alternator.

To Kaj:

Did you replace the alternator pulling it from the top method or bottom after removing the axle ? I did the top method and it took me many hours to complete. Off course my engine bay is spotless show quality and I was extra careful not to scratch anything .
Old Aug 14, 2018, 06:37 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Get oem. I recently changed my alternator with new oem from MAPerformance.com . As already stated in earlier post by KAJ it’s not fun replacing the alternator.

To Kaj:

Did you replace the alternator pulling it from the top method or bottom after removing the axle ? I did the top method and it took me many hours to complete. Off course my engine bay is spotless show quality and I was extra careful not to scratch anything .
Pulled from the top. Took 45 mins. LOL
Three years and still working awesome.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
I have a post asking about a problem i had recently where i made the mistake of putting poistive to positive and negative to negative and it seemed to have blown a fuse in my Evo X fusible link, i have a replacement on order but my car died on the way home one morning and the battery is dead, anyone think i need to replace the alternator, i believe the fuse that was blown was to the alternator and i was running purely on battery and thats why my car died. Anyone think otherwise, my new Evo x Fusible link is coming in Wednesday and i also got myself a 250 AMP to put in between my battery and my trunk.

Any thoughts would be helpful as i don't want to be down for too much longer, once i get my Fusible link is there anything i should look out for ?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 08:17 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
You can test to see if the alternator is shorted with a multimeter. The way i think it should go, with the car off, is put the meter in Ohm and/or continuity mode then put the positive of the meter to the lug on the alternator or the alternator side of the blown fuse and the negative to the alternator case, or chassis ground and you should get a large number or no beep. I'll check what kind of reading i get off a good disconnected alternator next time I am in the garage.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 08:19 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I mean I wouldn't say I'm killing them. My first one lasted over 100k miles and the one that went bad just over a year.
My first alternator lasted 9yrs/130k miles and my current one has been on for three years, though I've only put about 3-5k miles on it. It should last longer than a year, especially OEM. I'd expect an AutoZone alternator to only last a year (if we're lucky LOL).

Originally Posted by huzzle101
I have a post asking about a problem i had recently where i made the mistake of putting poistive to positive and negative to negative and it seemed to have blown a fuse in my Evo X fusible link, i have a replacement on order but my car died on the way home one morning and the battery is dead, anyone think i need to replace the alternator, i believe the fuse that was blown was to the alternator and i was running purely on battery and thats why my car died. Anyone think otherwise, my new Evo x Fusible link is coming in Wednesday and i also got myself a 250 AMP to put in between my battery and my trunk.

Any thoughts would be helpful as i don't want to be down for too much longer, once i get my Fusible link is there anything i should look out for ?
I'd have it tested. It depends on how long the alternator was trying to charge a dead battery, the age/quality of the alternator, and a few other things. It's kinda hard to say. It was just on the way home, you are 99% most likely good to go. Usually, it's running off alternator only, with a dead battery that will wear an alternator. It may actually be a good thing the fuse was out
Old Aug 15, 2018, 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
OEM because it's not fun to swap, though I got the process down to 45mins. It sucks. I think I read a gen III eclipse alternator works.
It doesnt the 3g eclipse has a 2 belt setup with a 4 rib belt
Old Aug 23, 2018, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gturbo
It doesnt the 3g eclipse has a 2 belt setup with a 4 rib belt
Swap the pullies.

It works fine.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
alternators arent prone to failing, try getting one on a partout on the classifieds section here on evoM. will save u lots of bucks.