Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Painting exhaust black

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting exhaust black

Guys,

I need some advice on how to prep and paint my RMR exhaust (well, just the muffler) flat black in my attempt to avoid the *****, uh, law "enforcement" here in VA. I know I need high-temp paint, but I am not sure if I need to score the polished stainless, add primer, etc. Also, if anyone has a suggestion about a good paint, feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance!

Chris
Old Apr 9, 2004, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Just read this and hopes it helps
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8133
Also check your local vehicle code just to make sure.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

As far as VA law goes, my exhaust is illegal because it's slightly louder than stock. However, I got my ticket because she saw the flash of the muffler rather than the sound. That's why I want to flat-black it. If I lived in Cali still, I'll be fine - my car is 88 dBa @ WOT.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

wow i thought cali was strict!! i think polishing the exhaust first to take off all the dirt stuck on it then use a low gloss enamel for engine blocks.since they can take a beating for high temps and the low gloss would make it less blingy. i have the RMR turboback and so far no hassle from the cops yet*knocks on wood*
Old Apr 10, 2004, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Painting exhaust black

Originally posted by Chris in HB
I need some advice on how to prep and paint my RMR exhaust (well, just the muffler) flat black in my attempt to avoid the *****, uh, law "enforcement" here in VA.
You'll need to do some prep work if you want the paint to stick well. Start by cleaning the part with dishsoap or a solvent like brake cleaner to get any the grease and oil off of it. Then scuff it up with some Scotchbrite pads. Don't use steel-wool because it's messy and leaves too much dust behind. Then clean the thing again to remove all the dust.

Now hit it with some high-temp primer. You can find this at any Home Depot type place. It's used for painting barbecues and stuff. Let the primer dry for a few hours. The follow with whatever high-temp paint you want. I've used hugh-temp barbecue paint on an old muffler for one of my BMWs. It leaves a nice, thick, matte black finish that looks very good and is very strong.

Emre
Old Apr 10, 2004, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Kayaalp -

That is precisely what I wanted to know - thank you very much!

Chris
Old Apr 10, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man,

Sorry to hear you got a ticket for exhaust. I got one here in MA with a Buschur Axle-back, which I specifically chose thinking I wouldn't be hassled. Did you contest the ticket? I beat mine at a hearing, so I didn't have to pay the fine or anything, but I have the flexibility to go into work late for a morning magistrate hearing.

MA has MGL chapter 90 section 89, which states that the exhaust system can't be modified to increase the sound. The magistrate threw mine out since there was no decibel meter or anything to substantiate the claim. Check out the National Motorists Organization (www.motorists.org) for tips on beating tickets and whatnot. They advocate for driver's rights and have a lot of resources mostly for speeding tickets. There is a MA specific section that really helped me. I'm pretty sure there is a VA specific area with members that you can email. There is a fee to become a member and check out certain sections of the site, but other stuff is free.

Good luck,

FB

Originally posted by Chris in HB
As far as VA law goes, my exhaust is illegal because it's slightly louder than stock. However, I got my ticket because she saw the flash of the muffler rather than the sound.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

are you ****ing kidding me Chris...?

those redneck cops in VA are something else... he "saw the flash" of your exhaust...?"
Old Apr 10, 2004, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Diesel
are you ****ing kidding me Chris...?

those redneck cops in VA are something else... he "saw the flash" of your exhaust...?"
Umm, yeah, and it was "she", not "he"... Figures...

Easier to write an exhaust ticket than to arrest somebody.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 06:24 AM
choad

Even though it looks like you will beat out those tickets based on the inability to substantiate the decibals in a court of law..

It ain't worth the hassle. (getting stopped all the time)

Good luck on the new paint job!
Hope it helps to make your **** more "low key.."
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Painting exhaust black

Originally posted by Kayaalp

You'll need to do some prep work if you want the paint to stick well. Start by cleaning the part with dishsoap or a solvent like brake cleaner to get any the grease and oil off of it. Then scuff it up with some Scotchbrite pads. Don't use steel-wool because it's messy and leaves too much dust behind. Then clean the thing again to remove all the dust.

Now hit it with some high-temp primer. You can find this at any Home Depot type place. It's used for painting barbecues and stuff. Let the primer dry for a few hours. The follow with whatever high-temp paint you want. I've used hugh-temp barbecue paint on an old muffler for one of my BMWs. It leaves a nice, thick, matte black finish that looks very good and is very strong.

Emre
I back up all that Kayaalp is saying except for one thing. You cannot use the BBQ paint found at Home Depot. That paint is only good for temps up to 500 degrees F. Your exhaust can get MUCH hotter than that. Also, that paint doesn't hold up well against the weather. I have my Mini's exhaust painted with the BBQ paint....it wore off/ flaked off after a few months.

You need the special Krylon high temp paint. That stuff is good for temps up to 1200 degrees. You will need to clean the surface of the metal very well to get rid of any oil. After you paint the surfaces, you will need to wait until the paint has completely cured (4-6hrs) before starting up the car and driving it. High temp paints don't hold up to their rated temps until the paint is completely cured.

I have this paint on the hats of my oem rotors. It has been holding up wonderfully so far.

You are only going to paint the axle back portion of the exhaust, right?

I was pulled over 4x over the one year I lived in VA for stupid things like this. I hated the subjective way the police enforced laws there.

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Apr 12, 2004 at 10:12 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

SC - Thanks for the tip. Any suggestion on where I can find the high-temp paint and primer??

As for the exhaust, I'm only painting the muffler (since it's the only polished part). I got pulled over again yesterday (yeah, Happy Easter) for a) dark tint, b) no front plate and c) no county sticker. Fortunately the guy was a former Marine, too, so I got a warning...
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

huhu. They are after you. That sucks!

I found my paint at the Super Autobacs. But I am sure it is available elsewhere. Pep Boys may carry it. Home Depot might even carry it now.

Here is the paint. Krylon High Heat and Radiator paint. It needs no primer coat. You just have to make sure the surface is free from debris and oils before spraying.

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

product locator page...

http://www.krylon.com/main/locator.cfm
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

WTF?? don't the polic up there have anything better to do than to crawl up honest folks' ani?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
VHT header paint is rated up to 1500 F.

However, I dont have any previous experience with this paint. This is what I plan on using when I get my exhaust.

Quick Reply: Painting exhaust black