Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

lean in boost and no power

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
lean in boost and no power

Hey guys, as the title states, my car is leaning out in boost and feels like its making no power at all. This started happening after sitting for one week of not driving the car. One weekend it drove fine, it sat for M-F then the next weekend it started running like crap. At idle and cruising it drives fine, but once i get into boost the car falls on its face making no power, doesnt build the 35lbs of boost its supposed to, and goes lean into the 13/14's for AFR's. I've done quite a bit of searching and haven't found any posts with the same symptoms, and so far I have tested, swapped, or replaced pretty much everything in the fuel system and then some. So far I have done, new spark plugs gapped to 0.018, new Weldon fuel filter, new relays for each pump, new hobbs switch, swapped both fuel pumps with new units, sent out injectors for testing and all were fine, new fuel lines -8 feed, stock feed/-6 return, swapped MAP sensor, swapped exhaust cam sensor, tested boost control solenoid, bypassed boost control solenoid with no change, removed/inspected/cleaned wastegate, and I put a new diaphragm and o-rings in fuel pressure regulator. Nothing has changed the issue yet that I've noticed so I'm hoping someone here has some insight on what to look at next. The turbo doesnt seem to have any abnormal shaft play, seems comparable to when I first got it. It doesn't seem to be misfiring, it drives smooth just goes lean and doesnt build boost properly or make the power it should. The car is on E85, with a MAP 2.3, FP zero, double pumper, 2150cc injectors, its on SD, GSC S2 cams amongst other things, and it was tuned by Raif at RRT Motorsports last summer and made 600/500 at 35lbs on his mustang dyno if thats useful for anything. I've spent all summer trying to diagnose this and hoped to maybe stumble across something as I was swapping stuff, but havent found anything promising and don't really know where to look next so any insight would be appreciated immensely. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Turndown
Hey guys, as the title states, my car is leaning out in boost and feels like its making no power at all. This started happening after sitting for one week of not driving the car. One weekend it drove fine, it sat for M-F then the next weekend it started running like crap. At idle and cruising it drives fine, but once i get into boost the car falls on its face making no power, doesnt build the 35lbs of boost its supposed to, and goes lean into the 13/14's for AFR's. I've done quite a bit of searching and haven't found any posts with the same symptoms, and so far I have tested, swapped, or replaced pretty much everything in the fuel system and then some. So far I have done, new spark plugs gapped to 0.018, new Weldon fuel filter, new relays for each pump, new hobbs switch, swapped both fuel pumps with new units, sent out injectors for testing and all were fine, new fuel lines -8 feed, stock feed/-6 return, swapped MAP sensor, swapped exhaust cam sensor, tested boost control solenoid, bypassed boost control solenoid with no change, removed/inspected/cleaned wastegate, and I put a new diaphragm and o-rings in fuel pressure regulator. Nothing has changed the issue yet that I've noticed so I'm hoping someone here has some insight on what to look at next. The turbo doesnt seem to have any abnormal shaft play, seems comparable to when I first got it. It doesn't seem to be misfiring, it drives smooth just goes lean and doesnt build boost properly or make the power it should. The car is on E85, with a MAP 2.3, FP zero, double pumper, 2150cc injectors, its on SD, GSC S2 cams amongst other things, and it was tuned by Raif at RRT Motorsports last summer and made 600/500 at 35lbs on his mustang dyno if thats useful for anything. I've spent all summer trying to diagnose this and hoped to maybe stumble across something as I was swapping stuff, but havent found anything promising and don't really know where to look next so any insight would be appreciated immensely. Thanks in advance!
I use Raif to tune my car also, why don’t you contact him maybe he can help you in diagnosing your issue with what he may think it is. I’m sure he would give you some ideas . Good luck man!!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 07:26 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
is the boost reference line for the Fuel pressure regulator in good shape?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
is the boost reference line for the Fuel pressure regulator in good shape?
Yes its in good shape, and on tight.

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
I use Raif to tune my car also, why don’t you contact him maybe he can help you in diagnosing your issue with what he may think it is. I’m sure he would give you some ideas . Good luck man!!
I've contacted him already and done what he suugested. He said it might be worth throwing it on the dyno to try to find the issue, but I don't want to show up and hold up the dyno all day as well as having to pay for diag and labor etc. Was kind of hoping I could get pointed in another direction before finally doing that but we'll see.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 07:47 AM

Have you done a boost leak test?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Have you done a boost leak test?
Yes I did, and I found a small leak at the J pipe to turbo gasket that's been proving to be a bit of a pain to seal up. It's gotten better, but I'm still seeing some small bubbles. I'm gonna grab another new gasket and might put a tiny bit of rtv on it to try to help form a good seal. Would a boost leak make it run lean though? I thought it would be rich in boost with a boost leak.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:38 AM

Yes I did, and I found a small leak at the J pipe to turbo gasket that's been proving to be a bit of a pain to seal up. It's gotten better, but I'm still seeing some small bubbles. I'm gonna grab another new gasket and might put a tiny bit of rtv on it to try to help form a good seal. Would a boost leak make it run lean though? I thought it would be rich in boost with a boost leak.
Thats true with a MAF where a leak means metered air escaping. With SD though it really only cares about whats in the manifold. My thinking was if your leak was big enough you might be hitting parts of your fuel map that aren't as refined.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thats true with a MAF where a leak means metered air escaping. With SD though it really only cares about whats in the manifold. My thinking was if your leak was big enough you might be hitting parts of your fuel map that aren't as refined.
Ahh, okay I see what you're getting at. Well I suppose I should replace that gasket again, and ensure its sealed up then I should be boost-leak free.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

I finally got to put some more time into the Evo yesterday and got my data logging computer working again, and then traced the harness to check the crimp points and grounds for the coil pack and such. I ended up finding a corroded ground, and I touched up the crimped connections as needed and the car works fine now. Did some data logging and a few pulls and each were around 11.2-11.3 afr and timing was spot on.
The following users liked this post:
ctfpevoVIII (Sep 15, 2019)
Old Sep 15, 2019, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I finally got to put some more time into the Evo yesterday and got my data logging computer working again, and then traced the harness to check the crimp points and grounds for the coil pack and such. I ended up finding a corroded ground, and I touched up the crimped connections as needed and the car works fine now. Did some data logging and a few pulls and each were around 11.2-11.3 afr and timing was spot on.
Thats awesome to hear!!