Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Price for Evo 9's

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by frsh92laser
Lookin at the sticky in the general section , i think he has the numbers flip flopped.
I wrote that sticky... You'd think I would've known that off the top of my head I just knew the IX numbers were way off and that they did indeed produce quite a few less IX's.

Overall Production figures:
Evo 8 - 12,846.
Evo 9 - 8,201.
Total CT9A - 21,047

4,645 more Evo 8's produced. That's more than a third more.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Exactly. I always feel like I'm the only one that sees this.
I know certain vehicle values well enough to have noticed that something odd is going on there and your theory makes good sense!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say evo ixs with 100k ish miles you're looking at 20+k. But theres some owners out there just trying to sell. Those are the ones you want. The people that need to sell regardless. I looked at a built 9 mint for 18k. What a moron.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:01 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboIX
I would say evo ixs with 100k ish miles you're looking at 20+k. But theres some owners out there just trying to sell. Those are the ones you want. The people that need to sell regardless. I looked at a built 9 mint for 18k. What a moron.
$20k for a 100k-mile car is ridiculous, IMO. I've been keeping an eye on actual sales on a number of Evos that have been listed for silly prices. They mostly have been selling for quite a bit less than asking price. You would be surprised on how honest sellers are about they final selling price, once you get them one-on-one and ask nicely.
If/when I sell mine, I'll be starting at a stupid price, too... but I'll also be taking quite a bit less LOL. That's just how it works.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey all,

I haven't posted in awhile I know. Most ppl probably don't even recognize me anymore, but I still have my evo. I agree there's a lot of old-timer Evo owners (like myself). I have a 70k evo 8 that's slightly modded that's garaged and kept up in wicked white. I just got on here from taking the old evo for a spin and WOW!! These things have DEFINITELY gone up in price!!! I bought mine back in 2012 with 48k miles slightly modded (same mods today I didn't do much) for 16k with all the OEM and after-market parts some of which I've sold and some which I've installed.

Is there a premium for color in this market? I see a lot of salvage titled EVO 8/9 ask for a premium just because it's Blue By You or Wicked White or Weightless White with Apex Silver, the Red, and Yellow ones being a little cheaper. Pic of mine below just for bragging rights

Old Jul 18, 2020, 05:44 AM

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Book value is irrelevant on EVO 8/9s. What one thinks your car is worth is also irrelevant. I've seen 8/9s go for over $30k all the time on facebook groups. Your car is worth what someone is willing to pay. Close to stock is most appealing to enthusiasts/purists or anyone **** with money.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 07:36 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by VWJETTY
Hey all,

I haven't posted in awhile I know. Most ppl probably don't even recognize me anymore, but I still have my evo. I agree there's a lot of old-timer Evo owners (like myself). I have a 70k evo 8 that's slightly modded that's garaged and kept up in wicked white. I just got on here from taking the old evo for a spin and WOW!! These things have DEFINITELY gone up in price!!! I bought mine back in 2012 with 48k miles slightly modded (same mods today I didn't do much) for 16k with all the OEM and after-market parts some of which I've sold and some which I've installed.

Is there a premium for color in this market? I see a lot of salvage titled EVO 8/9 ask for a premium just because it's Blue By You or Wicked White or Weightless White with Apex Silver, the Red, and Yellow ones being a little cheaper. Pic of mine below just for bragging rights
If you talk to people in private, you'll see most selling in the $16-20k range. They post them for $30k in case they come across someone desperate.
This is just what I've found when asking peeps after they actually sold their cars. Results may vary. There are exceptions, of course.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 11:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
If you talk to people in private, you'll see most selling in the $16-20k range. They post them for $30k in case they come across someone desperate.
This is just what I've found when asking peeps after they actually sold their cars. Results may vary. There are exceptions, of course.
There's always this pattern:

Spouse: I hate that car, list it for sale
Owner: ok fine
Owner: *lists it for 2x value, uses the word "invested" in the ad*
Owner: Gosh I don't know why it's not selling
The following users liked this post:
Pal215 (Jul 18, 2020)
Old Jul 18, 2020, 01:22 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
There's always this pattern:

Spouse: I hate that car, list it for sale
Owner: ok fine
Owner: *lists it for 2x value, uses the word "invested" in the ad*
Owner: Gosh I don't know why it's not selling
That is genius!
codgi (Jul 31, 2020)
Old Jul 26, 2020, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj

You seem to be an advocate for selling evos for really cheap. These are not honda civics. Hopefully with alittle more time these beautiful cars will fall out of the hands of owners like you. I remember this is how it was with turbo supras/gtr's in Canada, we had them selling for under 15k just ten years ago. People realized they were getting really rare and newer owners smartened up and started asking what they're worth as a historical japanese car. This is the same with the ct9a. In Canada evo 9s are already selling for a minimum of 35k all the way up to 60k for a clean low mileage example but its happening earlier here since evos were never offered till the tenth gen for us. This price range is consistent in euro market too. I dont know what it is with people in the usa, but they don't seem to know what they have till its gone. Or at least really low supply. Then they complain when prices suddenly explode.

Its not that i think the IX should be over priced, its that i think it is currently way under-priced in the usa in comparison with the rest of the world market and this is going to explode and be a price tsunami for unsuspecting buyers.

Last edited by RallySport9; Jul 26, 2020 at 04:17 PM.
EAC222 (Nov 29, 2020)
Old Jul 26, 2020, 04:09 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by AllAccessedEvolution
You seem to be an advocate for selling evos for really cheap. These are not honda civics. Hopefully with alittle more time these beautiful cars will fall out of the hands of owners like you. I remember this is how it was with turbo supras/gtr's in Canada, we had them selling for under 15k just ten years ago. People realized they were getting really rare and newer owners smartened up and started asking what they're worth as a historical japanese car. This is the same with the ct9a. In Canada evo 9s are already selling for a minimum of 35k all the way up to 60k for a clean low mileage example but its happening earlier here since evos were never offered till the tenth gen for us. This price range is consistent in euro market too. I dont know what it is with people in the usa, but they don't seem to know what they have till its gone. Or at least really low supply. Then they complain when prices suddenly explode.
I'm not an advocate for anything. In fact, it's in my best interest if our cars were worth a million dollars. I relayed info that I found. I even added disclaimers.
It's not about people being stupid or "smartening up". It's supply and demand. If Evos ever were to see a burst of popularity like the Supra, then it's probably prices would shoot up.
"owners like me"
p.s. Prices in Canada can't be compared to US prices.

Last edited by kaj; Jul 26, 2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
"owners like you" who expect evo 9's for the price of a brz. The point im trying to make is that in other parts of the world evo 9's already reached "supra" popularity levels. Some owners in the states realize this and price accordingly, are then laughed off the forums by the price police.. smh. The evo 9 is unarguably (at least generally speaking) the greatest icon for the evolution lineup. Production stopped 15 years ago already. The USA is behind in the evo market pricing and it will come back to bite buyers in the ***.
huzzle101 (Jul 28, 2020)
Old Jul 26, 2020, 05:31 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by AllAccessedEvolution
"owners like you" who expect evo 9's for the price of a brz. The point im trying to make is that in other parts of the world evo 9's already reached "supra" popularity levels. Some owners in the states realize this and price accordingly, are then laughed off the forums by the price police.. smh. The evo 9 is unarguably (at least generally speaking) the greatest icon for the evolution lineup. Production stopped 15 years ago already. The USA is behind in the evo market pricing and it will come back to bite buyers in the ***.
It hasn't here, so is priced accordingly. Don't like it? Start buying in the US. I don't set the pricing, just reporting it. I don't know what else to tell you. Sounds like your jealous of US prices.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 06:02 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
It's all just market forces. The US market is saturated with performance cars, and mitsubishi/rally isn't particularly popular here either. It's just the laws of supply and demand. It's not stupid sellers or cheap buyers its just Murica. Might as well say we aren't paying enough for gas or steak (Although covid has put the hurt on my red meat habbit).
Old Jul 26, 2020, 06:27 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
(Although covid has put the hurt on my red meat habbit).
I could SWEAR I just paid twice as much for the steaks I just bought, than usual. Same grocery store.

Quick Reply: Price for Evo 9's