Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Importing an Evo just got a whole lot better...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2002, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My totally unsolicited view on this discussion-

Almost everyone on this board likes to discuss the upcoming US bound Evo. Let’s face it much of this website is dedicated to discuss a car that is not even available here in the states. So for a lot of us this has been a long time coming and Evo rumors are a way to pass the time.

I like most people try to share any new rumors that I find in the Evo world with the rest of the board. I try always to report the source and not to claim it as the truth. I would be extremely happy for everyone here if the US Evo VIII happens to blow the euro spec Evo VII away.

My only problem seems to be with broeli who continually thinks that he is the only one in the world who knows the truth about the new US Evo VIII. At the same time his source never tells him anything that you can’t find on the web. I know he thinks that I know nothing about the US bound Evo. I just want to know what he thinks it is going to be.

But not stopping there he has to slam my choice to buy the current Evo VII. Yes, my car has a one year warrantee and it will still be in effect after my modifications.

There are rumors of every thing from 330HP GDI (the GDI can’t happen in the states BTW) to a 233 hp WRX fighter. Mitsu says Jan 2003 over 250hp with Brembos and below $30K, that is all that is certain now. Mitsu can always change their mind also.

Taking a break bye

Erik

Originally posted by Hooby
I don't think we need to predict anything, and I don't think we need to fight over this subject....it's ridiculous....

The people who are getting an Evo VII from EI are getting what they paid for, and I'm MOST DEFINATELY SURE that the people who have a deposit down will be getting EXACTLY what they will be paying for also.

Why are some of you people fighting over stuff that we don't even know about yet. I'll agree with some people here, EVII, we don't really know a god damn thing about those rumors, so assuming what you're assuming isn't really the right things to be doing. Some people are concerned about what they'll be getting if they buy an Evo VIII, because they've been waiting for a awhile....I've been waiting for a couple of years now, and there isn't a doubt in my mind that we'll be getting an AMAZING vehicle. I'm not sick of Mitsubishi's games, because THEY AREN'T THE ONES PLAYING GAMES!!!! It's the magazines that are playing the games....Mitsubishi has NEVER....I repeat NEVER changed the specs, price, or release date on the car since the official announcement that they were bringing it over.

Please people....this fight is ridiculous, stop it now.

Hooby
Old Aug 27, 2002, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erik, Ok. Your right. I don't mean to come off the wrong way about those getting your cars from E.I. I guess just like some are skeptical about the Evo VIII I am skeptical about the whole E.I. import thing. Maybe I'm wrong. Like I said before I think you're getting a great car. How are you liking it btw? Hae you had any problems with it?
I don't think I know more than anyone else...notice that when I say something sometimes I'm joking hence the smiley face, etc. Geez, must we be SO serious all the time
I do get some info. And I share as much of it as I can. Sorry if it's vague. Such as this info:
"We will announce the US model at the LA
autoshow. The first units for here will ship from Japan toward the end of
January. Model details about other world wide versions will be announced
at the end of January by MMC - not by the US office."
Although vague...I think it tells you a little more straight from Mitsubishi than you've heard before. I have a little few more details I may give later.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:18 PM
cvl

Are the EI cars even street legal yet? Any timeframe on the conversion? Once that happens successfully, I think that they'll get quite a few new orders. Still a bit sketchy until then though.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:40 PM

I don't think it matters if a person get's a JPN Spec Evo VII imported or wait's until the US Spec Evo....

It's still an EVO Foo!!!!

BUT...the bottom line is, there is No way, the US. Evo will have the initial grunt of the JPN EVO... It doesn't work that way..
we all know that... Hell from Anime, to Video Games, we know Japan get's the better toys... And we get left-overs...

Mitsu will most likely give us the Evo @ 250hp and say shut up and be happy... They want to edge out the WRX in performance by a basic margin,(WRX 227hp{I think} U.S. EVO 250hp) and keep the price at around 26-28K...

Then when Subaru breaks out there Ultra high performance STI Scooby...Mitsu will then come out with a full brown JPN Spec EVO
and the prices will truly reflect there performance nature...

As far as buying a new Evo without mark-up...It's possible, if you buy one from some small back-*** woods dealership, but in any other major City or State, you are definately looking at Mark-up...the dealers know they are sitting on gold...and will charge a premium, because they know, we'll be willing to pay to say I got an EVO...

But it all comes down to this.......the Lancer Evo VII is in America, and Evo VIII is coming to America...... So be HAPPY!!!
Old Aug 28, 2002, 01:57 AM

Hey Hooby and Mordeth!!! Good to hear you guys rappin again.
To those unfamiliar, these are two of the "been 'round long-time" evo fanatics on this forum. They have read and heard practically every rumor and post and have given me perspective when I've gotten jumpy. Just a suggstion: listen to what they say.

As for Evo VIII specs...I said a long time ago (just after the Vegas show)
1) No ACD.
This likely translates into no AYC, but I don't know that for sure. New speculation (here) seems to indicate that there MAY be some improved AWD system. That would leave potential for improvement over AYC/ACD, via some othe mechanism (like an all-wheel, independent, anti-slip "positraction"-type mechanism). That's just for those of us who like to mull this stuff over in our heads to pass the time.

2) 6-speed manual transmission.
I've been told this is a big improvement, but I don't know enough to really know...I do know that most people THINK it is a big improvement and that car mags point to the 5-speed as one of the differences between the WRX (6-speed) and the Evo (VII)which gave the WRX SOMETHING to say is better (since not much else was). I've been told the 6-speed couldn't be matched to the ACD so they had to go to LSD...I don't place a lot of credence in that, but it may be so.

3) Evo VIII WILL have doors, 4 wheels, OVER 34 hp, and brakes of some sort.
I don't think doors or wheels are really important, but that's what everyone keeps saying, so I guess they must be.

I'm sitting in the same position as most of us. Keeping EI on the back burner...waitin on Evo VIII specs. Can find dealers to sell at MSRP....won't pay more, but I'm a patient buyer..and want some more specs before I put a deposit down (although there's little to lose in having a deposit in...I guess I'll get to it sooner or later...I just wanted to see where I'd be living in Jan (up in the air) and also want to probably buy in MT or OR w/no sales tax (~$1500+, depending on the state of purchase) After forming a buyers' group, and getting little progress (or help)...I let that fall by the wayside. Dealer in Idaho was very anxious to set up a group buy at MSRP...General manager stepped in and said he could only do it for $2500 over....yeah, right...buh-bye. Don't buy in Boise...greedy GM...doesn't bode well for support, etc.

My contributions to the rumor mills:
(note that the items labeled 1,2, and 3 are not rumors or speculation...these are fact. If you are able to read, you should KNOW these from now on. That, or you should specifically SAY that MyCre8n doesn't know WTF he's talking about and then feel free to make me a SIGNIFICANT monetary bet on whichever of those three items you wish)

Rumor: Since Canada will not be getting the Evo VIII, MMC can produce way more than 4K (have capacity for 12K) and will likely be sending several K more than the initial slated to the US. This will cause the brief markups frenzy to fizzle (like the Mini-Cooper, Mazda Miata, etc, etc) So it would likely be a better program to not be part of a buying frenzy and thus you can smile at the (in my humble opinion) FOOLS who pay 5K over MSRP. Then buy the same a couple of months later (PLEASE buy from one of the dealers who sold at MSRP initially...there are PLENTY)

Speculation: I will be able to Import a street-legal J-spec Evo VIII for close to $30,000. There is even a possibility of importing it for just around wholesale as I have a friend who is a car importer and assures me he can do this. If the Evo VIII has great specs (somehow the AYC/ACD is compensated for), I will set up a group buy/import with the original 15 people on the group buy list.

Nice to hear everyone still getting their emotions into a roil over this car...just shows good passion!!!
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:55 AM

EVO VIII in Spring 2003?
or Subaru WRX STi ariving this fall?

That is the word from my man at Subaru.

I know this is EVO forum, but STi will still kick some major EVO-hind. 271HP. 6 spd. more...

EVOs still rock, but I may become an STi convert if Mitsu + dealer faction rape me.

Out,
Tre
Old Aug 31, 2002, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by getEVOlved

I know this is EVO forum, but STi will still kick some major EVO-hind. 271HP. 6 spd. more...
I disagree.
If you have any access to those japanese videos... you'll know
that ANY version of EVO7 will waste the STi, STi RAs.... well,
maybe not the STi RA Spec Cs... (takes 3 versions to catch up??)
Old Aug 31, 2002, 01:57 AM

I went to the Roseville Auto mall yesterday to test drive a 2002 GTI 337 edition (didn't get to drive, was already sold)... anyway back to my point. I was talking to a sales manager and he couldn't give me a whole lot of info. that I haven't aleady read here but he did give me an insite on what to expect sales wise when it does get here.
He told me that the production numbers are going to be very small. In the 2-5K range like everyone at the LV show was saying.
What he then told me was very discouraging. He was expecting that they would be getting at most 3 cars, and those would be going for around $40K. He gave me a reason for this though,(how feasable it is is up to you), The EVOs are going to be made in Australia along with the Diamantes. He was saying that they rarely get any Diamantes now because of this. Maybe one every two months.
I began to get a little upset with these figures and told him I was going to import one if this was true....He agreed, saying that there's always going to be an uninformed sucker that isn't as highly EVOlved as we are.

(I recomend buying shares of Evolution Imports if this is true elsewhere)
Old Aug 31, 2002, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

I dont trust Roseville , Ive been there a bunch of times and no one can give me the same answer to any of my questions. Ive also heard many bad expiernces from them too. Roseville Automall
Old Aug 31, 2002, 04:07 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by more EVOlved
The EVOs are going to be made in Australia along with the Diamantes.
That would be better than making them in the Normal, IL plant! Though I'm pretty sure they'll be made in Japan along with the rest of the Lancers.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Yes. I was told they will start being shipped from Japan around the end of Jan.
So, yes, they will be produced in Japan.