Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who's using TI exhaust manifold studs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Who's using TI exhaust manifold studs?

I'm curious about their longevity in an application that sees lots of heat cycles. I know they look pretty, but I dont want to sacrifice function for form. All feedback is appreciated.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
I have some but haven't had it on for more than a year, they still look the same and no cracks, in to hear of anyone else with longer use than me. have never heard anything but good reviews.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 06:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
All of my motorcycles have always had titanium exhaust, either I bought it, or my honda dirtbikes for example (CRF450r) all came with a titanium header from Honda. Titanium is a great exhaust material, you won't have any issues with it.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
-There are two types of Ti grades for manufacturing parts on the market. The true Ti grade, which what most of the exhaust parts are made of, and the bastardized grade as I call it, which is partially titanium and partially aluminum, and it is used for making mostly engine dressing/decorative stuff, but also for some functional items, such as wheel lug nuts, lug nuts in general, bolts etc. These are also sold as pure Ti items.

-Titanium exhausts parts that come from reputable companies, are pure Ti grade, and suffer no issues at all.

Marios
The following users liked this post:
codgi (Jul 15, 2020)
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys 👍
Old Jul 10, 2020, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Don't use titanium studs that get heat cycled without using a good high temp lube. Titanium galls very easy like stainless does, especially if the threads aren't cleaned and deburred properly.

If you're just looking for hardware that won't corrode, grab a set of ARP stainless exhaust studs. They micropolish the threads so they don't gall.
codgi (Jul 15, 2020)
Old Jul 10, 2020, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

I do not know where you got your info from but Ti does not suffer the same problems as stainless steel. In the 25 years of experience I have in being involved with bikes and cars, I have yet to see Ti suffer what you have posted. And I have removed and seen remove Ti bolts and studs from bikes and cars numerous times, not just from aluminum parts, but from stainless steel exhaust parts also, no hi temp lube used either. What I do agree on is that micro-polishing works well on stainless and carbon steel. Also using hi temp lube is on the good side of things.

Marios
Old Jul 10, 2020, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
All of my motorcycles have always had titanium exhaust, either I bought it, or my honda dirtbikes for example (CRF450r) all came with a titanium header from Honda. Titanium is a great exhaust material, you won't have any issues with it.
Didn't read whole title. Thought you were just asking about exhaust. Rip..
Old Jul 11, 2020, 07:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Titanium absolutely does gall if not prepared properly. Rolled threads are better than cut threads in resisting galling, adding a surface treatment or plating helps too.

It's possible in any metallic material that is very hard like most grades of stainless and titanium. It's very easy to get localized friction in the threads which starts to gall them. You may not have experienced it, but that's physics, it's a fact. If you don't want to take my education in metallurgy and years of experience that's fine, but it doesn't change physics.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Titanium absolutely does gall if not prepared properly. Rolled threads are better than cut threads in resisting galling, adding a surface treatment or plating helps too.

It's possible in any metallic material that is very hard like most grades of stainless and titanium. It's very easy to get localized friction in the threads which starts to gall them. You may not have experienced it, but that's physics, it's a fact. If you don't want to take my education in metallurgy and years of experience that's fine, but it doesn't change physics.
In b4 Marios says you're wrong and stupid.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the ARP stainless studs and they are great. Still look new after about 3 years.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin

No its not physics in regards to the specific, I disagree, bolting a Ti stud to an aluminum head will not cause any galling to the stud, and no Ti does not need to be prepared in any way, or use any lube on it, it is ok if you use one but it is not necessary. The only part that does belong to physics is the part that threads on high tensile strength metal parts can get galled, but I've never seen it on Ti and until I do, as I have seen or heard many so claimed "experts" say a bunch of stuff that weren't so, I'll stick to my own years of experience and to what I know for a fact.

Marios

Last edited by Evo8cy; Jul 14, 2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
uneekvisions (Dec 22, 2023)