Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Flashing/Reconfiguring *FRONT* ECU in Evo 8/9 (Not engine computer!)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2020, 09:37 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Question Flashing/Reconfiguring *FRONT* ECU in Evo 8/9 (Not engine computer!)

I'm doing some work to the lights on my Evo9 (and I won't go into details here) but long story short, I need to be able to run my fog lights with the high beams on.
Now before you say "this has been asked before" (I know - I searched) There are several solutions posted online, but these all involve manually wiring the foglights and bypassing the computer control.

I downloaded the diagram for the evo8 last night (I assume the evo9 is the same) and it looks like the system works like this:
  1. the person presses the fog light switch, which is a pull down switch input providing a momentary (temporary) ground to the etacs ecu.
  2. the ecu talks on data wire, which goes to the front ecu.
  3. the front ecu recieves this information, and provides a ground to the fog light relay control side
  4. the control side coil gets this ground, and energizes the relay turning on the fog lights.

Now- the high beam is part of the turn signal stalk, so this also talks on the same data circuit as the rest of the etacs/front ecu/column control trio. The software on the front ecu must be monitoring the position via this data and when it sees the high beams on, it kills the fog lights. (I have not put my oscilliscope on this signal to better understand how it works- but my guess is that it is similar to CAN or LIN but less developed)

I want to specifically know, has anyone reverse engineered the software on the front ECU so that we can prevent it from disabling this output?
(I doubt it, only saying so because most of the people I meet on this forum are not into reverse engineering for anything other than the need of speed and engine performance)

I think this would be, by far- the most elegant solution to this problem/desire.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
I'm not aware of any information about that controller.

I'd be surprised if it had built-in reflash mechanism. I'm assuming Mitsubishi kept it simple to keep costs down.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 03:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Etacs in CT9A has no software able to flash currently. The CZ4A does.

Old Jul 10, 2020, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I do not know the differences between the JDM ETACS unit and the USDM, one but ETACS does not kill the fog lights when the main beam is on. Each function of lighting on a JDM evo is individual and does not overalp or interfere with any other. Evos 4-9 ETACS unit (4,5,6) (7,8,9) does not carry eprom and it cannot be reflashed, but certain settings can be reset through the tactrix cable on the OBD2 port. When it malfunctions it is easier to replace than fiddling with it trying to find out what has been toasted. Also it does not use CAN bus type of communication, protocol and frequency wise, it is rather a simple ground-energize process. Here is another way of resetting things : https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=296040&highlight=etacs
Post 14.

Marios

Last edited by Evo8cy; Jul 10, 2020 at 01:19 AM. Reason: typo