Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Big coolant leak.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Big coolant leak.

I recently fixed and replaced alot of things on my evo 8. Including, valve stem seals, timing belt, and water pump. The water pump that i put on was a duralast one(yes i know not the best choice and the gasket had a very slight rip in it i was very stupid). Is that the cause of my leak that i have when i get on boost. When i get on the boost the temp gauge goes sky high. Is that the cause of mt leak?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 05:44 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If the leak is coming from that area of the motor, then it would seem like a pretty reasonable place to start the diagnosis. Be very careful about overheating the motor as it can warp the head (and worse) and then your really in it deep.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
If the leak is coming from that area of the motor, then it would seem like a pretty reasonable place to start the diagnosis. Be very careful about overheating the motor as it can warp the head (and worse) and then your really in it deep.
i ran the car for about 2 minutes with very low coolant when i first started it. Was that too long
Old Jul 19, 2020, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
How do you know there is a leak? do you see trace of the coolant somewhere in the area or just observe the temp gauge?
did you bleed the coolant?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
How do you know there is a leak? do you see trace of the coolant somewhere in the area or just observe the temp gauge?
did you bleed the coolant?
Because i see it sprayed all over my catch can and firewall. I first noticed the temp gauge went up then i pulled over and noticed it where i said it was.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
probable a broke heater hose or something.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by hutch959
probable a broke heater hose or something.
Well when i turned on my heat to evacuate it from the engine i did notice it wasnt blowing hot air. Would that be a sign?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Did compare the duralast to the oem water pump? The reason I'm asking is when I brought my evo longtime ago my thermostat got stuck open. I went to autozone brought a new one. Guess what ... they sold me an Lancer thermostat which is slightly smaller than the evo. I had kept the faulty thermostat and went back to autozone to show them the difference. Of course they didn't have the evo thermostat. I'm thinking the same might be happening to you. I check the autozone page and they selling the same thermostats for the lancer and evo but our boosted engine required more cooling than the N/A. If you didn't have that issue prior to changing the water pump i am sure 90% that the water pump might be the wrong one.

Last edited by gqcode; Jul 19, 2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by gqcode
Did compare the duralast to the oem water pump? The reason I'm asking is when I brought my evo longtime ago my thermostat got stuck open. I went to autozone brought a new one. Guess what ... they sold me an Lancer thermostat which is slightly smaller than the evo. I had kept the faulty thermostat and went back to autozone to show them the difference. Of course they didn't have the evo thermostat. I'm thinking the same might be happening to you. I check the autozone page and they selling the same thermostats for the lancer and evo but our boosted engine required more cooling than the N/A. If you didn't have that issue prior to changing the water pump i am sure 90% that the water pump might be the wrong one.
Thank you i thought it looked a tad smaller when putting it on but i did not think it would be that big. I ordered a gates water pump and some other stuff i needed so im replacing it anyway. Thank you i will let everyone know how it goes
The following users liked this post:
gqcode (Jul 20, 2020)