Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

NEED HELP - harmonic balancer??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEED HELP - harmonic balancer??

I have 2 video links. (First video with noise) Started with a noise (per usual) replaced drive belt and belt tensioner. Didnt fix the noise. Took belt off started the car and the rattle noise seemed to be coming from the harmonic balancer. Ordered that and replaced it today. Noise seems to be gone (Second video) but the balancer seems to be wobbling way more than the old one but without a noise. Both are oem balancers...

Just wondering if the wobble is normal..? It wobbles more than the old one but doesnt make a noise now. Could wobble be timing sprocket or crankshaft? Any other ideas.

2005 Evo 8.. minor go fast parts from english racing to make 350whp.
thanks for the help

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bZuaWkAJUxjqM7ip6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DGewHpBdPnz8e4h28
Old Oct 28, 2020, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks fine to me I know the pully can only go on one way because it has a dowl pin. As long as the crank sprocket and pully backside where clean and torqued to spec I don't see a problem.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you reinstalled the timing belt. are you certain that you aligned the oil pump gear correctly? If it's not clocked correctly, the engine can vibrate badly.

Also when you changed the belts, did you also change or otherwise mess with the balancer belt in any way? If your balancer belt gears are misaligned - even off a couple of teeth -,then the engine will also vibrate badly.

For reference, see this great explaination:
Old Oct 29, 2020, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by BLK_EvIL
Looks fine to me I know the pully can only go on one way because it has a dowl pin. As long as the crank sprocket and pully backside where clean and torqued to spec I don't see a problem.
... I didnt clean the sprocket. Was i supposed to? Lol i didn't want to touch the timing tidly bits at all
The video doesn't really show the wobble too much. But maybe since the balancer got replaced and there's no noise anymore i fixed the problem?

Thanks for the help!
​​​​​​​
Old Oct 29, 2020, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits
When you reinstalled the timing belt. are you certain that you aligned the oil pump gear correctly? If it's not clocked correctly, the engine can vibrate badly.

Also when you changed the belts, did you also change or otherwise mess with the balancer belt in any way? If your balancer belt gears are misaligned - even off a couple of teeth -,then the engine will also vibrate badly.

For reference, see this great explaination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_VyXb12MBA

I didnt touch timing at all. Just pulled off the crank pulley and put the new one on so timing wasnt touched. I only replaced the drive/serpentine belt. Thank you for the help

​​​
Old Nov 2, 2020, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The balancer shouldn't wobble. If it does it is a bad part. That or you installed it with a big chunk of something behind it. As for the old one making noise, the balancer has no moving parts. The only thing that can go wrong is for the rubber between the hub and rim to crack or perhaps completely split. If the rim comes completely free it usually throws the accessory belt.