Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi GRANDIS to Lancer Evolution IX Wagon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mitsubishi GRANDIS to Lancer Evolution IX Wagon

During that Monday night this crazy idea came to my mind.

Would it be possible to convert Mitsubishi GRANDIS to Lancer Evolution IX Wagon ?
I found the bodies of both cars very similar.

Gradis

Evo IX Wagon

Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I remember my DSM days. Owners of FWD vehicles would occasionally ask how much trouble it was to convert the car to AWD. Well, the two cars, while looking identical inside and out, had different bodies. I even had people write that they were good at sheet metal fabrication and they were going to give it a try. I'm not personally aware of any successful conversion. So, its not the styling that is going to be important here, its the mounting holes and space underneath. You'd need to check this very carefully.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
The Grandis did come with some form of AWD, but this is not going to be a direct swap. In North America, we got the Lancer Ralliart wagon with the same engine as the Grandis (2.4L 4G69), and Japanese version of the Lancer Ralliart wagon (CS5W) had AWD and a 1.8L turbo engine. To show what it takes how much work there is to do to swap the Lancer Ralliart wagon, see the Evo wagon build here: https://www.youtube.com/c/MotionAutoTv/videos I imagine the Grandis would have the same issues that need to be overcome.