Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me: EVO VIII MR information

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 07:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
I would carfax the VIN to see if it started its life in the US. It's odd the tails are JDM but everything else indicates USDM. He's probably saying the article doesn't matter as it's not telling you anything new. We all know the MR exists it's just a matter of how did yours get there and where did the bump in power come from. Is it normal to have the power output on your registration or do you have to dyno imported cars? You could make a 900hp Evo here and the registration wouldn't say anything about it.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Mar 29, 2022)
Old Mar 29, 2022, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, car passed trough uk, I'm sure, maybe Ralliart did the tuning and "homologated" the car with 354 hp? I don't know, I'm trying to understand its story.
The article I think it's important to show that the car is quite the same.
Are you able to look at something with VIN? here I can just see only that the car exist and some other characteristics, nothing more, Mitsubishi neither the model....It does not exist in their database
Old Mar 29, 2022, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mm.evo
Hi, thanks for your message. Unfortunately I'm not able to reach the first owner because car came in Italy trough an importer (it seams no longer in business), bought by first italian owner, sold to another one but in San Marino (a small independent state inland of Italy), so the car has been demolished for export, second owner sold to another dealer who sold to me, back in Italy..... I know, a mess... ....but car has been used seldom and general conditions are more than ok, low miles, a great deal in my opinion.
Sorry if I bother you but why are you saying that the article is not useful?
My aim it's just to understand if the car is fully original, something about its story, find a "second channel" to get spare parts if needed (Mitsubishi motor Italy does not recognize this model...f***k !!! ) and try to understand more about the engine power, closer to a FQ340 instead the standard US MR.
I just meant it wasn't useful as to tracking down your exact model and what not...it's definitely useful for general knowledge of the Evo platform. Man that's is murky car history but as long as you're legally able to drive it around and it's in good condition that's all that matters right?!?!

Originally Posted by terror rising
I would carfax the VIN to see if it started its life in the US. It's odd the tails are JDM but everything else indicates USDM. He's probably saying the article doesn't matter as it's not telling you anything new. We all know the MR exists it's just a matter of how did yours get there and where did the bump in power come from. Is it normal to have the power output on your registration or do you have to dyno imported cars? You could make a 900hp Evo here and the registration wouldn't say anything about it.
Bingo...yeah pretty much.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes we can pay to get car history via VIN and many people do prior to purchasing (www.carfax.com). Can you take an underhood pic so we can see what's done in there? Surely someone here knows what parts were put on the FQ series. Were USDM Evos the only versions without anti-lag?
mm.evo (Mar 29, 2022)
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:33 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
I just meant it wasn't useful as to tracking down your exact model and what not...it's definitely useful for general knowledge of the Evo platform. Man that's is murky car history but as long as you're legally able to drive it around and it's in good condition that's all that matters right?!?!

You are fully right bro, history it's not clear but car is legal, I tryed with this forum because you are skilled with the EVO and MR has been built for US market.
thanks

Bingo...yeah pretty much.
ok thanks
Old Apr 4, 2022, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

This is what I found in official Mitsubishi database.

Country of origin: USA
Year: 2004
Model: EVOLUTION-MR
Gearbox: 6FM/T
Color: A39E (Gunmetal Grey)

So for sure it is not FQ.
mm.evo (Apr 4, 2022)
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:16 PM

Thank you varv, really appreciated.
everything matches a part the engine power, this is still a mistery....
Old Apr 5, 2022, 07:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mm.evo
Thank you varv, really appreciated.
everything matches a part the engine power, this is still a mistery....
Engine bay pictures...
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:27 PM

Here I'm, sorry for delay

Old Apr 12, 2022, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
That is 100% stock MR engine bay. Only change I see is aftermarket spark plug cover. Plus you miss positive battery terminal cover but I think everyone lost it already (I did)

Take a look, this is stock MR:

To sum up, I think there was a mistake in the registration office. I have seen such a case several times but I live in Poland and everything is possible here
Old Apr 12, 2022, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Yup, that's a stock engine bay excluding the CF spark plug and timing belt cover. It even has factory worm clamps on the IC piping. If this doesn't have an MBC or a 3-port under that airbox I would say the power bump is a registration error.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:10 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by varv
That is 100% stock MR engine bay. Only change I see is aftermarket spark plug cover. Plus you miss positive battery terminal cover but I think everyone lost it already (I did)

Take a look, this is stock MR:

To sum up, I think there was a mistake in the registration office. I have seen such a case several times but I live in Poland and everything is possible here
Yes I guess it's stock, but for sure the engine power is correct, I checked at dyno test...344 hp....
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:12 PM

Hi Kevin, I will check under the air box. You are right in fact I ordered the original spark plug/timing belt cover.
the engine power is correct, I checked at dyno ...
Old May 1, 2022, 05:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Interesting thread,

looks to be a Evo 8 USDM model. I don't know if anybody mentioned but those USDM Recaros. I know that JDM are different. Can't confirm on EU models though
Old May 2, 2022, 11:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RMILtd
Interesting thread,

looks to be a Evo 8 USDM model. I don't know if anybody mentioned but those USDM Recaros. I know that JDM are different. Can't confirm on EU models though
Yes,they are different. My JDM 8MR has black suede recaros and full black steering wheel as well. The headlights and tail lights are also matte black inside, unlike OPs car.

Quick Reply: Help me: EVO VIII MR information