Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me: EVO VIII MR information

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me: EVO VIII MR information

Dear All, sorry if I made a mistake writing here, I’m Marco from Italy and I am a brand new Mitsubishi customer, having bought a second-hand Lancer EVO VIII MR.

I’m trying to find some extra info about this amazing car but it seems that this car….does not exist !! ☹

I contacted Mitsubishi Motor Italy but the chassis number is unknown due to the fact that the car came from a foreign market and it wasn’t imported from “standard channel”, and this is quite strange because usually when a spare part is needed, the dealer require the chassis number….how could I manage this ?

I would like to write to Mitsubishi Japan but I’m not able to find any contact, considering that this car has been produced for US market I’m trying to know something more from this forum.

I’m also interested to know about the story of this car, it seems that the original EVO VIII MR had a power output of 206 kW but the one I bought has got 254 kW, more similar to a FQ 340 instead the original MR; I also know that this car has been imported in Italy by “UK Garage” but I’m not able to find no one of this company…really strange.

Really sorry to bother you but any answer will be really appreciated.

If I'm not in the right "place", please feel free to suggest me any other one.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

marco
Old Feb 24, 2022, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Hey Marco - try this forum Lancer Register in the UK. They can tell you everything you need to know.
Most of the people on this forum are familiar with US domestic market Evo 8/9 and don't have experience with the EU domestic market models like the VIII MR or UK market upgrades like the FQ 340.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Hi Marco @mm.evo . I'm into EU evos so I think I can help you. So, for the VIII there were several options here in Europe. Basically UK had "FQ" models that were tuned by their mechanics, so you could buy for example 360 HP Evo from dealership with warranty etc. Check the list below:

Evo VIII (Chasis number CT9A 020 XXXX for JDM/FQ models)

UK Models

Evo VIII 260
Evo VIII FQ 300
Evo VIII FQ 330

Rest of Europe

Evo VIII GSR
Evo VIII RS

Evo VIII MR (Chasis number CT9A 030 XXXX)

UK Models

Evo VIII MR FQ 300
Evo VIII MR FQ 320
Evo VIII MR FQ 340
Evo VIII MR FQ 400

Rest of Europe

Evo VIII MR
Evo VIII MR RS (5 speed)

Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
Hey Marco - try this forum Lancer Register in the UK. They can tell you everything you need to know.
Most of the people on this forum are familiar with US domestic market Evo 8/9 and don't have experience with the EU domestic market models like the VIII MR or UK market upgrades like the FQ 340.
Ciao cdrinkh2o for your help, really appreciated, I will try
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:12 PM

Ciao varv, thanks a lot. I will try to go deeper in the thread because my MR chasis number is JA3AH****** and it's LHD so I guess it can't come from UK market.
It's also strange that Mitsubishi Italy does not recognize it.
I know that this model has been produced in 1000 pcs, it seems that just a couple arrived in Italy, I think it shouldn't be present so many versions.
In any case, thanks for your time
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

My VIN is also JA3AH**** and my Evo came originally from Sweden so its from EU distribution. Do you have any pictures of the car?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 02:55 AM

Ah ok, I didn't know.....and it's ok the power output? I mean, 254 kW it's not the original MR US version....who made the engine tuning?
I will post some pics, in any case it's graphite, black BBS wheels.
thanks varv
Old Feb 25, 2022, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Is this 254 kW in the registration papers or it was tuned by the seller? I dont remember if any of Evo's came with 254 kW "stock".

who made the engine tuning?
If you are refering to FQ models the tuning was made by Mitsubishi British engineers. They had certification from Mitsubishi and those kind of cars could be bought normally at dealership. What a great deal it was..

it's graphite
I think its Gunmetal Grey color and it available only on MR. I have listed some special extras for Evo VIII MR that differs it from "normal" ones. You can verify it with your car.

MR interior
Aluminium roof
BBS alloys
Black backing to front & rear lights
• 10.5T (single flap) housing
• Upgraded intake cam
• Modified pistons
• Bilstein shock absorbers

Old Feb 25, 2022, 05:50 AM

I confirm it's 345 HP (254 kW) on the registration paper and I confirm it's not an FQ model but it's MR (with the logo on the back, also)

MR interior YES
Aluminium roof YES
BBS alloys YES
Black backing to front & rear lights YES
• 10.5T (single flap) housing CAROBON SINGLE FLAP
• Upgraded intake cam EHM...I DON'T KNOW
• Modified pistons i DON'T KNOW
• Bilstein shock absorbers YES
Old Feb 25, 2022, 05:51 AM

sorry I'm not familiar with forum...

I confirm it's 345 HP (254 kW) on the registration paper and I confirm it's not an FQ model but it's MR (with the logo on the back, also)

MR interior YES
Aluminium roof YES
BBS alloys YES
Black backing to front & rear lights YES
• 10.5T (single flap) housing CAROBON SINGLE FLAP
• Upgraded intake cam EHM...I DON'T KNOW
• Modified pistons i DON'T KNOW
• Bilstein shock absorbers YES
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:16 AM

Hi Varv, sorry for delay, please find some pics.
Any help would be really appreciated.
ciao

Old Mar 28, 2022, 02:46 AM
Evolving Member

Well I must admit this is strange. It looks 100% like Evo VIII MR US-spec from the outside - you can tell it from rear 'non-jdm' bumper and the MR badge location. I never heard about switching from 'jdm' bumper to 'non-jdm' bumper, but the reverse operation is very popular.

This is a 'non-jdm' (USA-spec) rear bumper of EVO VIII (and others).

And here is a 'jdm' (European) bumper. You can tell that the place for licence plate is much wider, also it has some fancy splitters at the bottom. And I think that's why people switch it with 'non-jdm'.

But then the engine specification match exactly FQ-340 series that were not available only in UK. Also interior for sure is not FQ-340 style cause it lacks black leather/alcantara finish.

Send me whole VIN number on private message, I will contact friend that works at Mitsubishi dealership nearby. We will try to find it in official database.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Mar 28, 2022)
Old Mar 28, 2022, 05:55 AM

Hi, I found this one...it matches !!

https://www.supercars.net/blog/2005-...ution-viii-mr/
Old Mar 28, 2022, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mm.evo
Hi, I found this one...it matches !!

https://www.supercars.net/blog/2005-...ution-viii-mr/
That looks like and old media article testing the Evo and it looks like the test Evo was a usdm spec so that isn't really going to help much there. I think your best bet would be the previous owner, possible trace it back to how it got into your country? Do you have anything in EU that looks up VIN numbers like we have "car fax and vincheck" here in the states?

From the pictures you posted it looks like a USDM evo 8 MR from the headlights amber being on the top corners, white side markers, and cluster in mph...but the color is a color i've never seen in the USDM spec before. Very interesting...

Last edited by SoSoEVO; Mar 28, 2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:58 PM

Hi, thanks for your message. Unfortunately I'm not able to reach the first owner because car came in Italy trough an importer (it seams no longer in business), bought by first italian owner, sold to another one but in San Marino (a small independent state inland of Italy), so the car has been demolished for export, second owner sold to another dealer who sold to me, back in Italy..... I know, a mess... ....but car has been used seldom and general conditions are more than ok, low miles, a great deal in my opinion.
Sorry if I bother you but why are you saying that the article is not useful?
My aim it's just to understand if the car is fully original, something about its story, find a "second channel" to get spare parts if needed (Mitsubishi motor Italy does not recognize this model...f***k !!! ) and try to understand more about the engine power, closer to a FQ340 instead the standard US MR.

Quick Reply: Help me: EVO VIII MR information