Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Carisma Type 1 - 2 same as Evo 4 -6 ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 01:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Carisma Type 1 - 2 same as Evo 4 -6 ?

Hej everyone, first post from me...hoping you knowledgeable folk can help me!

I want to buy a rear cage from Wiechers Sport in Germany (have used their cages in cars before and can't beat the quality). They list a rear cage for a Carisma type 1-2 and for Evo 7-8. I've tried asking them which car did they use for the Carisma cage (as in, was it a GT model which I understand is a rebadged Evo) but they can't say...can anyone tell me if the cage would fit straight into an Evo 5? I can't imagine that someone with a base model/non Evo Carisma went to them for a cage!

Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 19, 2022, 06:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Had to look up the Carisma as i was not aware of its existence. Looks like its based off of a Volvo platform so my good guess is that it is not even close to the Lancer Evo CP9A

From what i can tell most of the Euro Evos seem to migrate to the Cusco / Ross Sport

In the US most of us are using the Autopower or custom installed roll bars & cages

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Sep 19, 2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
People in Europe will rally any FWD tin can, so I wouldn't exclude it based on that alone. I do note, however, that the Carisma was used in touring car racing, and the shape of the car is distinctively non-Evo at the rear. A quick look at some vital stats puts the Carisma wheelbase at 2,550mm and the Lancer Evo 5 at 2,510mm, so immediately we have chassis differences. Whether the chassis pickup points for the roll bar match, I don't know, but I wouldn't take this gamble. If it's different, you suddenly have an expensive roll bar that you have no hope of selling.

The following users liked this post:
solo.lap (Sep 19, 2022)
Old Sep 19, 2022, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RS200
People in Europe will rally any FWD tin can, so I wouldn't exclude it based on that alone. I do note, however, that the Carisma was used in touring car racing, and the shape of the car is distinctively non-Evo at the rear. A quick look at some vital stats puts the Carisma wheelbase at 2,550mm and the Lancer Evo 5 at 2,510mm, so immediately we have chassis differences. Whether the chassis pickup points for the roll bar match, I don't know, but I wouldn't take this gamble. If it's different, you suddenly have an expensive roll bar that you have no hope of selling.

I hear you there. I was hoping it was a Carisma GT which I gather is an Evo rebadged for other markets but if I can't find out for sure, I won't take the gamble. Thanks guys.