Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Timing belt whine but tensioner set correctly

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2024, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Timing belt whine but tensioner set correctly

Hey guys, I got a little situation. I just built evo 8 engine and right after start up I notice there is a tiny whine coming from timing belt so I was immediately thinking timing belt is too tight. I rechecked/adjust timing belt 5 times already and it is still whining on 2-3k rpms. When I rotate the engine couple of times and I set motor to the marks I am able to insert grenade pin to the tensioner. I also set tensioner pulley to 30 in-lb like the manual book says. All timing components are brand new, tensioner, pulleys, tensioner arm, evo 9 t belt. I did timing job one evo's 100+ times and I don't remember any of them has been whining like my personal evo. Any idea? Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2024, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Here is the link to the short video

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HrSBieGHdS8x6oQQ8
Old Feb 1, 2024, 06:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
perhaps one of your new parts was bad out of the box?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DontStopMe
perhaps one of your new parts was bad out of the box?
Might be. Maybe timing pulley or something. I think I will remove everything one more time. Isn't that whining similar to the one when belt is too tight? I remember many years back when I was changing my first timing belt on evo I set it too tight and I think the sound was very similar.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 411 Likes on 351 Posts
I would try wetting the belt/pulley just to see if it goes away
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I would try wetting the belt/pulley just to see if it goes away
You mean the serpentine belt or the timing belt? Not sure if I want to wetting the timing belt
Old Feb 1, 2024, 01:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 411 Likes on 351 Posts
oh sorry i thought this was the thread I read a while back. but is it really that bad to mist it a bit while idling?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 01:26 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Kinda hard to tell from the video. I just did mine in the fall and kinda sounded the same. Looks like you have way more mods tho. Have you driven it any length of time or just idle?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kevin.
Kinda hard to tell from the video. I just did mine in the fall and kinda sounded the same. Looks like you have way more mods tho. Have you driven it any length of time or just idle?
I did drove around and made totally of 200 miles, but during that 200 miles I was opening timing 5 times ( I know crazy) and I check the tension on the tensioner. Every time grenade pin going all the way in the tensioner. I even re done the tension to the tensioner pulley and it is at around 30in/lb.
When I tried to do 25in/lb to that pulley then the grenade pin won't go in so I left it at 30in/lb but the slight whine is there at around 2-3k rpm. The car is loud because has a lot of mods but I can hear very slight whining. Doesn't bother me at all but I don't want to damage oil pump when tension is too high. But after checking it so many times looks like it is in the right spot. Those evo 9 belts are kevlar belts maybe they are whining a little but I did timing job a lot for customers and I have never had any whining until on my personal evo hehe.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
oh sorry i thought this was the thread I read a while back. but is it really that bad to mist it a bit while idling?
I mean I don't think it will hurt anything. I might try that if I don't find any solution.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
water pump pulley or serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearing? Also when you did the timing belt did you replace the water pump and balance shaft belt?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
water pump pulley or serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearing? Also when you did the timing belt did you replace the water pump and balance shaft belt?
Yes every timing component is brand new. New belt, tesnioner, arm with pulley, new tensioner pulley, water pump. I does not run balance shaft so no belt there. When I removed serpentine belt and I started the car for a minute with no belt I can still hear little whining so it must be from the timing. I will remove everything one last time to check tension but I am 100% sure it is good because every time I pulled out the timing cover I can insert grenade pin in the tensioner.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
Sometimes the Power Steering pump will whine when its on its way out.
The following 2 users liked this post by deylag:
Kevin. (Feb 5, 2024), WRC-LVR (Feb 4, 2024)
Old Feb 4, 2024, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
hey kyrs88 maybe check the power steering pump and the fluid in it too. IIRC somewhere a PS hose shifts touching on the engine and that causes noises too.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deylag
Sometimes the Power Steering pump will whine when its on its way out.
But when I remove the serpentine belt so p/s is not spinning I think I still hear the whining, hard to be 100% sure because with no belt I am letting the car run for a minute only and when alternator is not charging engine has weird unstable idle. I opened timing one more time and after I rotate the crankshaft and then after 15min I can insert grenade pin in the tensioner, so look like tension is correct. I am driving that way but I can only hear it inside the car at around 2700-3000rpm. I have another power steering pump and I think I will change it whenever I have time but when I turn the steering wheel there is no whine only going with rpms. Are you guys setting timing tensioner by feel or with the tool to 30in lb?

Quick Reply: Timing belt whine but tensioner set correctly