Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Estimated value of 2005 EVO needing transmission

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2024, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Estimated value of 2005 EVO needing transmission

Just wanted to ping all of you vets out there what the avg selling price should be for an Evo in this condition:

2005 EVO 8 GSR EB with 235K total miles, broken transmission and original working engine that was rebuilt at 138K. No other major issues that I know of. Exterior clearcoat on roof and spoiler are gone and coming off on several other panels so would need clearcoat as well. Missing front lower lip piece.

thanks a lot guys!
Old Jul 5, 2024, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
You Could start at 20-21
Old Jul 5, 2024, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
yea 20k-22k if there isn't any major rust.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Completely disagree with those prices these guys put out there. The car market is down everywhere and with 235k miles on the chassis, shot paint and trim, bad trans, and just overall a quarter million miles of wear and tear, there's no way this will sell for anywhere near that much. In comparison, there's a nice looking clean title 8 for sale in PHX right now for $22k with 111k miles and not needing anything. Replacement 5 speeds are not cheap for these cars either anymore these days.
Old Jul 7, 2024, 11:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kpt6
Completely disagree with those prices these guys put out there. The car market is down everywhere and with 235k miles on the chassis, shot paint and trim, bad trans, and just overall a quarter million miles of wear and tear, there's no way this will sell for anywhere near that much. In comparison, there's a nice looking clean title 8 for sale in PHX right now for $22k with 111k miles and not needing anything. Replacement 5 speeds are not cheap for these cars either anymore these days.
I agree, no way this car is fetching that much when it basically needs everything but the kitchen sink. Its worth whatever someone is going to offer for it at most, but roughly $10k-$12.5 is when I'd start. At that mileage, it needs more than just a transmission.
The following users liked this post:
justboosted02 (Aug 5, 2024)
Old Jul 7, 2024, 06:08 PM

thanks for the honest estimates folks, appreciate it. Will check around for viable transmissions replacements first.
Old Jul 7, 2024, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TME_Manny
I agree, no way this car is fetching that much when it basically needs everything but the kitchen sink. Its worth whatever someone is going to offer for it at most, but roughly $10k-$12.5 is when I'd start. At that mileage, it needs more than just a transmission.
I disagree. Totaled/non repairable evos with smashed in rear ends with 150k miles sell for that at auction. Aside from the trans this is still a fully put together, running evo with 20k easy in parts value. If someone wants to sell theirs for 10k they have every right to go ahead and do so but you're the one losing. If you gave me this evo I could squeeze out 30k from this through a part out. Thats why I mentioned rust its the biggest factor if there is minimal to no rust the bare chassis is around 7-8k. Recently built engine another 4k then you have the rest of the car. If there is big rust, Id agree with the 12-13k.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallySport9
I disagree. Totaled/non repairable evos with smashed in rear ends with 150k miles sell for that at auction. Aside from the trans this is still a fully put together, running evo with 20k easy in parts value. If someone wants to sell theirs for 10k they have every right to go ahead and do so but you're the one losing. If you gave me this evo I could squeeze out 30k from this through a part out. Thats why I mentioned rust its the biggest factor if there is minimal to no rust the bare chassis is around 7-8k. Recently built engine another 4k then you have the rest of the car. If there is big rust, Id agree with the 12-13k.
He didn't say he was parting it out. And the market is down. And he was asking selling price, not parting out price. But really let's be real here also. No one is going to pay much for parts that they know have 235k miles on them, so unless whoever is selling it lies about the mileage, the parts won't sell for near as much as lower mile parts. Also I have owned quite a few Evos and I had one with 250k+ miles for a short spell. The whole thing was loose as a goose compared to my others and it was always a bone stock and 1 owner daily driver car, so I'd imagine the miles had a lot to do with that.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

To reiterate though, it would make no sense for anyone to pay $20k for it when the overall car market is down and you can buy running driving Evo 8's with no real issues with less than half the miles on the odometer for $20k at this current time. Will prices go up again? I'm sure they will eventually, but we are not in the Covid bubble as far as car prices are concerned and they are continuing to come down at this current time.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by kpt6
To reiterate though, it would make no sense for anyone to pay $20k for it when the overall car market is down and you can buy running driving Evo 8's with no real issues with less than half the miles on the odometer for $20k at this current time. Will prices go up again? I'm sure they will eventually, but we are not in the Covid bubble as far as car prices are concerned and they are continuing to come down at this current time.
For regular traffic cars, sure. I don't see Evos coming down that much. This car would probably get around 20k. A DIY guy can send the trans out and have that fixed for <$5k
Old Jul 8, 2024, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 145 Likes on 130 Posts
There is a running evo 9 recently listed on fb for $22k. If I was in the market for this, I think a reasonable offer would be $15. Given there are less and less evos every day.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
For regular traffic cars, sure. I don't see Evos coming down that much. This car would probably get around 20k. A DIY guy can send the trans out and have that fixed for <$5k
I didn't say Evos were going to drop a metric ton. They have dropped in value however, as all cars have. You can look on BaT and C&B and compare selling prices on nearly everything now vs last year and the few years prior, and except for certain cars that are very desirable for a particular reason, the prices are all down. Again, I do not see why anyone would pay $20k for this with a bad trans and 235k miles when you can buy one with no issues for that much in the actual CURRENT market. There has to be enough incentive for someone to go through the hassle and buy it and fix it. But you guys are all the market experts and I'm clueless in the car market, so you all have fun. OP GLWS if you decide to sell it.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 11:30 PM

a few more questions: where are the best places around the west coast to send out a broken transmission for rebuild/repair?

What are the main areas of the car I need to display for any rust damage? Do I just take clear pictures of the entire undercarriage and engine bay?
Old Jul 13, 2024, 02:40 AM

Please update the thread when you sold it
Spoiler

Last edited by NatalieHansen; Jul 20, 2024 at 02:35 AM.