Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

False limp mode?? Need help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2024, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
False limp mode?? Need help

Hi guys
Before I go changing more parts I need some help to see if anyone has had this issue before - Evo 7 built motor etc - haltech elite ecu all other mods
I track the car, am getting 5-6 hard laps at high rpm, and the car is at its hottest track temps, the car will loose power feels like a I/C pipe coming off or dropping a cylinder - sounds like it too -
if I cycle the ignition, which I can do on the track, is all back to normal for a few laps til it happens again, certainly comes across as heat I think triggering the issue & also the higher continued rpm -
won’t happen on the dyno, only on the track after 5-6 hard laps but cycle ignition and all back to normal
fault codes - P1300, C1061,C1062, trigger sync error
ecu logs all look normal until the issue happens and then tuner can see some weird trigger errors - drive the car at 80% no issue but push it harder and won’t last more than 5/6 laps til the issue occurs

I have tried a new cam sensor, coils , plugs etc but don’t want to do all the work for crank sensor and wheel if is not the issue - if timing related people have said maybe a tensioner going bad moving timing - my tensioner is 2000ks old so not sure if they do have issues -

if anyone can help I would appreciate it as it’s getting to be a real pain.

thanks
Old Aug 7, 2024, 12:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 441 Likes on 376 Posts
does it feel like one coil/sparkplug died? "back to normal" another 5/6 laps? just curious because I have been trying to solve an issue on mine
Old Aug 7, 2024, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Are you running a COP setup? I found an issue in the harness that caused super similar issues. Mine would come and go seemingly at random but I made a new harness and all the issues went away.

My specific issue was a connection at one of the connectors and there was also cracked insulation on the wires where the harness made hard turns.
Old Aug 7, 2024, 02:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by schuhie
Are you running a COP setup? I found an issue in the harness that caused super similar issues. Mine would come and go seemingly at random but I made a new harness and all the issues went away.

My specific issue was a connection at one of the connectors and there was also cracked insulation on the wires where the harness made hard turns.
I had an issue where the + wire to coil#4 broke, bumping on the valve cover and a bunch of random mechanics doing "pre-dyno checks" mishandling my COP kit. I fixed it but also bought a new DIY COP kit. This 100% new one seem to have 1 coil overheating after a 2 autox runs. weird enough its also on coil#4
The following users liked this post:
schuhie (Aug 8, 2024)
Old Aug 7, 2024, 03:56 PM

Thanks boys
yes it is exactly like that - feels like it has dropped a cylinder and cycle ignition all back to normal

yes I use a denso coil kit that plenty of guys are using

I was also looking around at wiring near valve cover - got new coils and wiring and still the issue - but have not gone further in the harness yet
Old Aug 7, 2024, 03:58 PM

Did you find out why they were overheating? Not sure how the coil can overheat etc and cycling the ignition fixes it straight away? Wouldn’t the heat still be there?
Old Aug 7, 2024, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Not yet, i have some work to fix pther issues. I might be able to chase it next week
Old Aug 7, 2024, 10:03 PM

Thanks mate
i think I will go through the whole harness also to check all wiring - really is a pain in the **** - I have a another haltech ecu I could try but I doubt will be the ecu

has anyone had issues with the trigger disc on the crank? I have all the parts new but is a lot of work to get this done especially if is not the issue
Old Aug 8, 2024, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

@CurseDSM any similar experience with Haltech?
Old Aug 8, 2024, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 200 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
@CurseDSM any similar experience with Haltech?
I have never had any issues with my setup concerning the coils themselves. Although I do run direct fire with my IGN-1A coils it's a little different. I will say though that my crank sensor I'm guessing went with everything that I am experiencing. With his setup it could be maybe a grounding issue that's one thing they are looking at my car is possibly the hall tech not being grounded right. I know the IGN-1A coils are kind of a pain in the *** when it comes to grounding and they act funny if they're not grounded correctly. I would have to know more about what's going on with his car to really compare it to mine. If he had to fix broken wires and had to go through the harness or whatever to find that out I would start with the grounds. It's a simple thing to do and be surprised on what it fixes.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Aug 8, 2024)
Old Aug 8, 2024, 09:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Paully, I get trigger sink issues with my haltech all the time and it's not that big a deal it's never made the car not start. So I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it's a haltech issues of swapping them I don't think is the problem. I would look into again grounding and making sure everything has good solid grounds. Start there and report back and if possible check your grounds from the hall tech to your coils. Make sure the signal wire has the correct voltage as well.
Old Aug 8, 2024, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

what battery do you have? try to monitor charge levels because the fan might be working hard & draining the batt and cause misfires. once i rewired my starter my car can start with low voltage. I have no idea yet how my coils would behave
Old Aug 8, 2024, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

what battery do you have? try to monitor charge levels because the fan might be working hard & draining the batt and cause misfires. once i rewired my starter my car can start with low voltage. I have no idea yet how my coils would behave
Good thinking, alt could be the problem with not doing it's job.
Old Aug 8, 2024, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by CurseDSM
Good thinking, alt could be the problem with not doing it's job.
this is big concern for me now since I need AC just to get to the starting line lol
Old Aug 8, 2024, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

this is big concern for me now since I need AC just to get to the starting line lol
Lol My condenser broke last year so I'm screwed I had to take everything out just to make the car work and then it died. Now I need a new condenser and one new line to make everything work again.

Quick Reply: False limp mode?? Need help