Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX MR too loud…and clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2024, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX MR too loud…and clutch noise

As the title states, this thing is too damn loud…

I bought it with a hood dump and straight pipe/catekss. That was crazy loud!

since then ive put
  • tanabe / revel medallion exhaust
  • turbo kit EFR with recirc dump
  • stm GESi test pipe

it also has:
  • GSC S2 cams
  • JMFab down pipe (catless, but test pipe is catted, not sure if OEM has cat on the DP)

what can I do to make this quieter? It is just still WAYYYYY too loud. I am also considering swapping from these GSC S2 cams back to stock.

clutch issue:

when I depress the clutch pedal, it squeals. Not sure why, the trans fluid was just flushed.
Old Aug 16, 2024, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Cams don't make your exhaust louder. All you can really do is add resonators and/or mufflers to your current exhaust. I run the HKS Sport exhaust with no cat, no resonators or additional mufflers and its still very quiet compared to every other exhaust I've heard. I'm actually surprised you find the Tanabe really loud.
Old Aug 16, 2024, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Cams don't make your exhaust louder. All you can really do is add resonators and/or mufflers to your current exhaust. I run the HKS Sport exhaust with no cat, no resonators or additional mufflers and its still very quiet compared to every other exhaust I've heard. I'm actually surprised you find the Tanabe really loud.

yeah I do recognize that. It’s just the GSC S2 cams do not sound great to me at all. It is definitely not the og tanabe. It is the “Revel medallion”

any idea where I can add the resonators and which to get?

for the clutch noise, apparently that’s how the triple disc exedy sounds, so I’m gonna go single disc since the triple is not city DD friendly
Old Aug 19, 2024, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by josh3972
yeah I do recognize that. It’s just the GSC S2 cams do not sound great to me at all. It is definitely not the og tanabe. It is the “Revel medallion”

any idea where I can add the resonators and which to get?

for the clutch noise, apparently that’s how the triple disc exedy sounds, so I’m gonna go single disc since the triple is not city DD friendly
Never heard someone say they don't like cam chop sound but hey different strokes for different folks I guess. You can always have a competent tuner adjust the mivec settings to make it idle like stock again.
Yes, that exhaust is on the quieter side of the loudness spectrum compared to most. Maybe go to an muffler shop and see what they can do for you. Regardless, you will never get it as quiet as a modern car.
Clutch is dependent on torque. What is it currently making and what do you want to make? Is the engine built? Single may not be enough, twin disk would probably be better suited for your set up but multi-disk clutches are known for being noisey.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 08:05 AM

Never heard someone say they don't like cam chop sound but hey different strokes for different folks I guess. You can always have a competent tuner adjust the mivec settings to make it idle like stock again.
Yes, that exhaust is on the quieter side of the loudness spectrum compared to most. Maybe go to an muffler shop and see what they can do for you. Regardless, you will never get it as quiet as a modern car.
Clutch is dependent on torque. What is it currently making and what do you want to make? Is the engine built? Single may not be enough, twin disk would probably be better suited for your set up but multi-disk clutches are known for being noisey.

Got it! It made 420 tq, 500hp. I do not want to make more, this is plenty, may turn it down a bit actually. I creep and crawl in a lot of NYC traffic, so ideally something that I can do that with. I lift off the clutch and have it crawl forward, or just enough that it is still on a hill but doesn’t stall if that makes sense.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
wait, you don't use your clutch to hold the car still on a hill do you?

An ACT HDSS would be a decent single disc option but the pedal will be heavy compared to a twin. I run an exedy twin and its solid but I have heard good things about the ACT twin for traffic.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Got it! It made 420 tq, 500hp. I do not want to make more, this is plenty, may turn it down a bit actually. I creep and crawl in a lot of NYC traffic, so ideally something that I can do that with. I lift off the clutch and have it crawl forward, or just enough that it is still on a hill but doesn’t stall if that makes sense.
ACT HDSS is one of the best single disks out there, I run one. Exedy makes a good one too. If you go to a single make sure its a full face sprung disk. The downside to a single disk is that they can have stiffer pedal feel than a good multi-disk clutch depending on the type like "street" vs "heavy duty" for example. Having said that I think the ACT HDSS is perfectly fine for daily driving.
The following users liked this post:
schuhie (Aug 19, 2024)
Old Aug 19, 2024, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by schuhie
wait, you don't use your clutch to hold the car still on a hill do you?

An ACT HDSS would be a decent single disc option but the pedal will be heavy compared to a twin. I run an exedy twin and its solid but I have heard good things about the ACT twin for traffic.

if it’s longer than a few seconds? No, but if it’s like a stop sign up a hill, and I have to creep forward, then yes. I generally try not to do this, but it is something I do sometimes, when getting out the garage in my apartment; it’s a pretty steep incline, so I do it to make sure people aren’t walking and then head out. Easier to do for that duration vs hand brake start IMO
Old Aug 19, 2024, 08:52 AM

ACT HDSS is one of the best single disks out there, I run one. Exedy makes a good one too. If you go to a single make sure its a full face sprung disk. The downside to a single disk is that they can have stiffer pedal feel than a good multi-disk clutch depending on the type like "street" vs "heavy duty" for example. Having said that I think the ACT HDSS is perfectly fine for daily driving.

thanks for the advice!! What’s the particular part you bought? I saw a lot of the ACT site
Old Aug 19, 2024, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
if it’s longer than a few seconds? No, but if it’s like a stop sign up a hill, and I have to creep forward, then yes. I generally try not to do this, but it is something I do sometimes, when getting out the garage in my apartment; it’s a pretty steep incline, so I do it to make sure people aren’t walking and then head out. Easier to do for that duration vs hand brake start IMO
I wouldn't suggest that. That's really hard on the clutch.

As the other post said, I drove the HDSS for many years and it was a decent clutch but pretty stiff pedal but that's personal preference.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
re: s2s - my car idles like stock. it depends on your tuner.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the advice!! What’s the particular part you bought? I saw a lot of the ACT site
Its this one: ME2-HDSS ACT also makes a twin disk designed to eliminate the noises most multi disk clutches make but reviews have been mixed due to a few failures. Exedy stills seems to be the go to twin disk but may be noisy to you. Regardless of which clutch you go with the ACT Monoloc collar is a must.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 10:18 AM

Its this one: ME2-HDSS ACT also makes a twin disk designed to eliminate the noises most multi disk clutches make but reviews have been mixed due to a few failures. Exedy stills seems to be the go to twin disk but may be noisy to you. Regardless of which clutch you go with the ACT Monoloc collar is a must.
Thanks for the info! I also saw something about the x clutch, that seems to be lower noise than other twin discs. BTW do you have any sound clips of the ACT being depressed? I am hoping that it is quieter than the xclutch video I saw.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've installed a Varex muffler on my 9, it has a butterfly valve in the muffler that can be controlled. closed it is very quiet, barely louder than stock, open it sounds like a typical 3" straight pipe with standard cannon style muffler.

https://xforceusa.com/products/vmk2g...BoCHH0QAvD_BwE
Old Aug 20, 2024, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by justboosted02
I've installed a Varex muffler on my 9, it has a butterfly valve in the muffler that can be controlled. closed it is very quiet, barely louder than stock, open it sounds like a typical 3" straight pipe with standard cannon style muffler.

https://xforceusa.com/products/vmk2g...BoCHH0QAvD_BwE
any sound clips you have?

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR too loud…and clutch noise