Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 fuel filler neck fix

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2024, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo 8 fuel filler neck fix

Hi guys I know this has been a common problem for some here on the board and I wanted to post my fix for this discountiued part. First off this was not an easy fix without the use of a lift there was a lot of curse words along the way😆. Of course this filler neck was leaking above the subframe giving no access so the subframe need to come out. 20 yr bolts do not like to come out 😆. Well after a lot of cursing and having to drill out 2 of the eight bolts it was out. I tell you it wasn’t pretty under there here’s some pics

with the filler neck out I had to figure out how I was going to fix this ugly looking filler hose. Knowing what I know now I’m pretty sure the leak is probably happening in the same area on most of these hoses. Here’s the filler neck out and my fix:

the last pick is what the whole neck looked like after a lot of wire brushing. So as you can see I cut the elbow out and replaced it with a fuel hose elbow from Amazon TKKEUEP Gasoline Fuel Filler Neck... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZKZDWT5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
which worked perfectly. I’m going to finish this post in 2 parts to avoid doing this a third time by posting to many images
Old Sep 24, 2024, 04:43 PM

the only missing piece was the coupler to connect the filler hose to the lower rubber hose that goes to the tank. Thankyou Amazon YSIL 1-1/2 Inch Hose Barb Coupler... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXD8VYW1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
here’s some pics of the finished product installed

Well with that done it was time to clean everything up under there and make it look nice. I cleaned the subframe and control arms and sprayed them with clear and polished the exhaust

well with all that done and new bolts for the six bolts I needed to drill out here’s the final result. Not perfect but nice

it sure was gratifying to go to the gas station and not have the attendant freak out with a puddle of gas under the car. Well I hope this can help a fellow Evo owner in desperate need of fixing his leaky filler hose.

Last edited by Drdtmd; Sep 24, 2024 at 05:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drdtmd:
osetsky (Sep 25, 2024), ViciousLSD (Sep 24, 2024)
Old Sep 24, 2024, 10:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 447 Likes on 382 Posts
good job man. I'm glad I left NJ before getting an evo, then again I worked in Manhattan and I did an underwash every time I went to snowboard
Old Sep 25, 2024, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
good job man. I'm glad I left NJ before getting an evo, then again I worked in Manhattan and I did an underwash every time I went to snowboard
Thankyou guru. The car has not seen water ( except to wash it)or winter since I bought it in 2018. Garage kept so it should be fine for as long as I have it.
Old Sep 25, 2024, 07:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 447 Likes on 382 Posts
did you get the chance to check the top of the fuel tank?
Old Sep 25, 2024, 09:16 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Nice work! I did this last summer with a corrosion-free filler neck off eBay I had stashed. idk how but I did it without removing subframe lol
Old Sep 25, 2024, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
did you get the chance to check the top of the fuel tank?
the best I could see it’s fine but don’t really know for sure.
Old Sep 25, 2024, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin.
Nice work! I did this last summer with a corrosion-free filler neck off eBay I had stashed. idk how but I did it without removing subframe lol
Thankyou Kevin lucky you I wish I could have gotten that lucky 🍀.