Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer to Evo project (but using pajero io as a donor car)

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 10:52 AM

Lancer to Evo project (but using pajero io as a donor car)

Hello, I am from Azerbaijan and English is my 2nd language. Firstly I am sorry for my bad english.

Classic Japanese cars and JDM culture have not developed in my country, becuse german cars is more loved by population. But I love JDM caars. In my country I found a Lancer 1993 and I want to convert Lancer to Lancer Evolution (GSR, Evo 1 or Evo 2). Currently the engine of the car is 1.3 Liter (1300 cc) and the car is FWD. I want to make it AWD. Another problem I am facing is not being able to find a suitable engine, another suitable machine. I chose a 1999 Pajero IO as a donor car. I chose a 1998 Pajero IO as a donor car. Pajero io has a 1.8L (I think 4G93) engine. Making the Lancer AWD requires installing a rear axle and all-wheel drive. Can the drivetrain carried over from the Pajero IO be adapted to the Lancer's platform? Will it require special workmanship and special details? I think it would require additional modifications to fit the shaft, differentials, and suspension systems, is this really possible?Are electronic systems (ECU) and engine management systems also different? Would it be necessary to either reprogram the engine control unit or buy a new ECU to work properly? After the AWD system is installed, the suspension system needs to be modified to ensure proper wheel movement. This requires installing stronger suspension components and wheel hubs. Can I find them easily? Is it possible to install Pajero IO rear axle and transmission parts on Lancer? I know that although the Pajero IO has an all-wheel drive system, its systems are more for off-road. And the Lancer Evolution is designed for performance, so what else might I need to do that I haven't considered? If I bought the Lancer and the Pajero IO, then roughly how much would this project cost me? Has anyone implemented such a project? Are there real life examples?

Thank you for your attention.
Old Yesterday | 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

I think it would be a pretty cool project but for what it's worth your better off putting that money into getting an Evo being it would cost you a ton of money to get an engine, transmission, t case and everything to make it work. On top of that the cost of fabrication to make everything work. Now if you could do it all yourself I think it would be a very cool project.
​​
Old Today | 02:15 PM

Yes, I know that. But there is no EVO in my country. There is a strange system in the country and you cannot import cars from foreign countries with the year of manufacture lower than 2012. You can only import cars that are 40 years old, of course it won't be easy (maybe if you have strong connections), you'll have to pay tons of taxes and stuff, and until 2032 it's banned by law. I would love to have an original EVO GSR or EVO 2 to use it at full performance without all the hassle. But there is none. I don't even have spare parts for the car in my country. I don't even want to wait until 2032...
Old Today | 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have lots of money to spend? Can you import parts? Do you have a fab facility that can do things like install floor pan? Great dream but lots of work...have you found Lancer Register? UK forum with more info on older models and maybe for what you hope to do.
Old Today | 05:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Then I guess you have your answer. Pay tons of money and start collet parts or wait.