Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

110 leaded or 100 unleaded race fuels for the evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
110 leaded or 100 unleaded race fuels for the evo?

at my local gas station they sell the race gas, and there is 2 different ones, the 110 leaded and 100 unleaded.

probably 100 unleaded is better, i'm assuming, but what is the leaded for?

thanks
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

I highly doubt you would ever use a leaded gas in a fuel injected engine....sounds like a very bad idea to me....but then again i could be wrong.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Exclamation Re: 110 leaded or 100 unleaded race fuels for the evo?

Originally posted by sno_evo
at my local gas station they sell the race gas, and there is 2 different ones, the 110 leaded and 100 unleaded.

probably 100 unleaded is better, i'm assuming, but what is the leaded for?

thanks
The leaded race gas will destroy your "Oxygen Sensor"!!!

Without an O2 sensor your fuel injection system will not function in closed loop and you will be thrown into some limp home mode.

To repair a mistake like this you would have to flush the entire fuel system and replace the O2 sensors. Even then traces left in the sytem could cause problems.

Your first clue should be the fact that the leaded fuel filler nozzle will not fit your gas tank filler. That is why your tank has the little hole with a spring loaded flap. Also you will notice the gas cap says unleaded fuel only.

Tetra ethyl lead is a very good octane booster and provided lubrication to the valve seats on older engines with the valve seat cut directly into the cast iron head. That is why they used to call premium gas "Ethyl". To use unleaded gas in older engines you have to cut a pocket into the head and shrink fit a new Hardened Stellite valve seat. Or the valves will eat into the head without the lead acting as a high temp lube.

I will go out on a limb here, leaded fuel might void your warranty?
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:19 AM

well thanks but a simple "use unleaded" would of done fine.

i was kinda hesitant about the leaded gas, but its by the drum so theres no different nozzle.

and i didnt know if our cars can handle it, but thanks
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
leaded, let me tell you about leaded gas. Makes your car fly . ofcours dont use it on yr EVO or any new American car. however, in Italy they dont have the O2 thing and we can use leaded and fly.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:01 AM

If you are still stock, you probably don’t need straight 100 either,

last summer I ran 100 octane, and gradually reduced the octane by mixing it with 93 octane, I found that about 95 octane was what I liked the best. Seat of the pants, anything less felt like 93, and anything more felt like 100.

When I fill up, I get 4 gallons of 100, and fill up the rest of the way with 93, which ends up in the 95-96 range.

My experience is that it improves the off boost power delivery, which makes it easier to drive around town, allowing lower RPM clutch engagement without hesitating (saving on clutch wear), and pulls smoother from lower RPM without bogging, It feels like less of a hit when the you come on boost, So there’s probably not as much of an improvement at higher RPM’s.

Remember I’m still stock, so your results may vary.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by sno_evo
well thanks but a simple "use unleaded" would of done fine.

i was kinda hesitant about the leaded gas, but its by the drum so theres no different nozzle.

and i didnt know if our cars can handle it, but thanks
Your gas cap say's, "Use Unleaded Only". Since that wasn't clear to you I provided a detailed explanation.

Then you have to take some passive agressive swipe at me,"...a simple "use unleaded" would of done fine..., ", that is just sad.

If you don't want to show your ignorance try educating your self, like reading a gas cap, and be civil to people that try to help you avoid wrecking your car.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

I would talk to some guys running C16 or other leaded gas to see how long the O2's last. Cat will be killed pretty quickly (most leaded race fuels are 3-4 grams per gallon so a few gallons will kill the cat) but the O2's can stand it for a while. There are plenty of Evo, S4 guys running leaded in high boost and thier O2's are lasting 5k plus miles. Talk to Dave at Buschur to see how long their car has been running on leaded.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mitsuatb

Your gas cap say's, "Use Unleaded Only". Since that wasn't clear to you I provided a detailed explanation.

Then you have to take some passive agressive swipe at me,"...a simple "use unleaded" would of done fine..., ", that is just sad.

If you don't want to show your ignorance try educating your self, like reading a gas cap, and be civil to people that try to help you avoid wrecking your car.

Wow, who took a leak in your cereal this morn??? I'm just guessing, but I think he was just being sarcastic. I think he was just expecting someone to "Leaded BAAD, unleaded GOOD!!" And maybe a little explianation of why. I wasn't expecting such a long response either, but it was informative. So, close your eyes, breathe deep, and think happy thoughts. I don't think any one here was trying to be mean.

Hilg
Old Apr 19, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, I used to run 118 octane in my Supra.
Holy crap, it was silky smooth, and most dynos showed about a 50whp gain. I was running catless, so it did not destroy the catalyst.
It will screw your 02 sensors up, but my car didn't go into limp like one poster said. t just ran like heck and left white carbon on the exhaust pipe.
If your stock, you probably won't notice much. Unless you are pushing some serious boost and wanna kick butt at the track, don't mess with it.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by JNasty4G63

Wow, who took a leak in your cereal this morn??? I'm just guessing, but I think he was just being sarcastic. I think he was just expecting someone to "Leaded BAAD, unleaded GOOD!!" And maybe a little explianation of why. I wasn't expecting such a long response either, but it was informative. So, close your eyes, breathe deep, and think happy thoughts. I don't think any one here was trying to be mean.

Hilg
Another fool that agrees with the first one, what are the odds?

Why ask a question unless you want an answer?

I will attempt to dumb down my answers to the level of the posting on this issue, if I can just get this crayon to transmit over the phone lines.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by JNasty4G63

Hilg
Long and mostly BS. Yes lead poisons an O2 sensor after a few hundreed gallons. Is it worth the price of a couple new O2 sensors once a year to be able to run 26+ psi of boost without detonation worries? To me that is a resounding YES. My personal situation is different because a wide band O2 sensor is much more suseptible to lead poisoning, and much more expensive as well.

Short and sweet:

1. If you have a CAT avoid leaded like the plague.
2. If you don't have a CAT (or swap in a test pipe at the track only) and can aford to change the O2's once a year swill up all the leaded you want!

Keith
Old Apr 19, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

It will, at best, severly shorten the life of your O2 sensor. At worst, your O2 sensor craps out and the ECU goes "LIMP".
If you are running a cat, DO NOT run leaded. It will trash it super fast.
A little, once in a while probably won't hurt.
My buddy runs Aviation gas (leaded 105). He has been running a tank full about once a month for over a year. No problems yet.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by mitsuatb

Another fool that agrees with the first one, what are the odds?

Why ask a question unless you want an answer?

I will attempt to dumb down my answers to the level of the posting on this issue, if I can just get this crayon to transmit over the phone lines.
Crayon is the correct medium of data transmission for your maturity level.... and your "knowledge" level as well. You don't know your @ss from a hole in the ground and are berating someone else for not bowing down to your "superior" knowledge.... very humorous in a sick and twisted way actually.

Keith
Old Apr 19, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Like everyone else said, lead is bad for the cat and o2s.

Use the 100 at the track

How much did that 118 cost you?! I was paying 3.48 for 100 / gallon.

As for everyone, cmon ladies, lets relax.

Quick Reply: 110 leaded or 100 unleaded race fuels for the evo?