Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car and Driver Poll

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a better definition of all around is needed. The Evo would romp on a R32 or Accord running up and down dirt roads.. well maybe not if your looking for comfort and only looking to go 15mph down the dusty roads.. Again it's all in how you define all-around and what is important to you.

A driving enthusiasts all around definition is much different than a cabbies all around definition..
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

"All-around" means all-around, not rally-specific, track-specific, etc. It means "what would be the best in most plausible real-world solutions to the general majority of the public".

What you are thinking is, "what is the most all-around car for YOU" which is a subjective not objective point of view. Then again who knows, maybe they intended this poll to be subjective 100%.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by webguy330i

Between the 3 cars at hand, the r32 is my vote for the best all around car. You get:

- adequate power
- awd
- decent/dare I say GOOD handling
- heated seats
- leather
- seating for 4
- stunnin' looks
- great exhaust note

Ok... An with the Evo you get:

- MUCH more than adequate power
- awd
- world-class handling
- perfect Recaro seats
- Ok... the R32 seats are awesome...
- REAL seating for 4 ADULTS
- Sharp looks (not like a base golf with bigger wheels)
- Smooth engine noise/exhaust note
And most importantly:
- Lower price tag than either R32 or STi

I've seen a ton of R32s in NoVa, and they look cool, but it's nothing special. Again, I admit the interior is quite a bit nicer than the Evo's and you could argue that makes for a more comfortable commute. But overall, meaning to me: ALL factors considered, the Evo is hands down the winner. Look at all of the reviews vs. Porsche, BMW, etc. They are far better than the VW and the Evo is always put on top, all factors considered.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Polls should be subjective, analysis should be objective..
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Well I think given the poll's question, it should have an appended "... for you?" rather than just leaving it open.

But seriously, who cares, it's a poll.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree... who cares. Yeah, I actually do drive my Evo in the dirt, over rocks, through the bushes, over the hills and through the woods to grandmother s.... you get the point. But most people dont' (oh, I might scratch my precious paint)..... Anyway. it ain't worht arguing about. Some folks PREFER the hatchaback styling. I would be stoked if the evo were a hatchback like the rally Focuses or Peugots... that is tight styling.... but it ain't and its a kickass car, and I don't care if it has pink daisys growing out its ***... the Evo still rocks. But I secretly want a hatchback... and I have no idea what my point was.... ramble ramble, blah blah blah... just needed a 2 minute break from work stress. Any of you ever dealt with container ship lines? all IDIOTS!!
Old Apr 23, 2004, 08:49 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally posted by Mister2zx3
Polls should be subjective, analysis should be objective..
Objective analysis has its limitations.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Everything has it limitations, that has nothing to do with analysis vs poll. a Poll is used to gather peoples opinions ( subjective ) on some matter. Analysis involves facts.

The tricky thing is in the real world where you have to have analysis on polls. portions of statistical analysis..
Old Apr 26, 2004, 05:56 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Fair enough, but if you were considering doing an objective analysis on which of these 3 cars (all very good in their own right) is best, the limitations of objective analysis come into play. As a rule, it's very easy to get a pile of objective data - acceleration, braking, cornering, fuel economy, interior room, feature lists, etc. - but what value does each category get? For some guys, the 1/4 mile is everything; for others the total performance package; and still others want a fast car but also decent mileage and a big trunk. The only way to determine weighting is a subjective leveling system, based around a statistically average buyer of these cars (in other words, a sampling of hundreds of people who would consider the 3 cars). And then you throw in the ultimate subjective, looks. The net result is that a scientific poll* is every bit as valuable as objective test results.

* This eliminates any internet poll!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

The best 4WD ride is my A8 ... oh ... wait ... I can't vote for that one, guess I'll have to go with the Evo

Oh, and current voting is at:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution-55%
Subaru Impreza WRX STi-36%
Volkswagen R32-10%

yeah!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Why would the Evo be at the top, hehe...

As for value, everything has value.. Internet poll, scientific (ahem) poll, poll in your neighboorhood. The value is often greater the more information you have on the poll. Both a poll and an analysis most worth/value is in knowing it's environment. I've seen plenty of scientific (ahem) polls, analysis, and other sorts of polls that were worth nothing when you review the environments in which they are conducted.

Have your boss take a poll by having each emplyee come in and tell him whether he is **** or incredible.. Guess what the poll will be.. Why? Without knowing the environment, it's value is about nill, unless your a moron, and there are many that take such data and run with it.. Knowing the environment you know it's value.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution-55%
Subaru Impreza WRX STi-36%
Volkswagen R32-10%

TOTAL ENTRIES: 12438
2:49pm cst
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

^^Hey look, the Evo internet community was able to mobilize more people than the others...^^^^

That fact tells me more than the poll question itself....Evo owners are more likely to be internet savvy...
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Online - Or someone scripted a little batch file...

Doh.. and the rolling eyes go wide...

@ECHO OFF
:START
Script Removed
GOTO START

Internet Polls ...

Last edited by Mister2zx3; Apr 26, 2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

i just voted 200 times...MWAAAAAHAAAAAHAHAAAAA!

THE SILLY CAR AND DRIVER POLL IS 0WN3D BI M3! MWAAAHAAAAA!

Last edited by OnlineAlias; Apr 26, 2004 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Poll