Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

One Lap of America

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this in the wrong spot...... now I am just cutting and pasting it here..... so hopefully it makes some sense........

Shiv - do you guys know the courses? WHo is your co-driver(s)? basically a ford Festiva driven by someone who is familiar with the courses would beat a 500hp Evolution driven by someone who has never been to any of the courses.....

You only get one warmup lap.... you exit pits, drive the rest of the way around the course...then stop..... drag strip start...3 running laps and that is it.......

You have no idea where to brake, where to turn in, etc...... even the best guys can't figure out a course in 1 warmup lap....

the real One Lap guys go to the next years courses in the fall and spring to learn the course.... when I was at beaverun there were about 15 'one lappers' there..... my first lap of the place was probably 1:25.... my best was 1:08...but that was after a few sessions.....

Just letting everyone know...... Shiv vs Al for the one lap would probably be meaningless......it would boil down to who knew which courses the best and not have that much to do with the car.

My old shogun has run in the one lap the last two years....

I wanted to do this event, but realize i would just be wasting $6k (roughly) to go make an *** of myself by running horrible lap times and getting beat by a saturn.

Last edited by Scot; Apr 26, 2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Tire Rack

Is that the Tire Rack in South Bend? That might be worth the trip to see them take off.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Tire Rack

Originally posted by xphillipjrx
Is that the Tire Rack in South Bend? That might be worth the trip to see them take off.
Sure is. The shop car just left for the 2200 mile trip to South Bend a couple of hourse ago. Should be there in a couple of days

Shiv
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Scot
I posted this in the wrong spot...... now I am just cutting and pasting it here..... so hopefully it makes some sense........

Shiv - do you guys know the courses? WHo is your co-driver(s)? basically a ford Festiva driven by someone who is familiar with the courses would beat a 500hp Evolution driven by someone who has never been to any of the courses.....

You only get one warmup lap.... you exit pits, drive the rest of the way around the course...then stop..... drag strip start...3 running laps and that is it.......

You have no idea where to brake, where to turn in, etc...... even the best guys can't figure out a course in 1 warmup lap....

the real One Lap guys go to the next years courses in the fall and spring to learn the course.... when I was at beaverun there were about 15 'one lappers' there..... my first lap of the place was probably 1:25.... my best was 1:08...but that was after a few sessions.....

Just letting everyone know...... Shiv vs Al for the one lap would probably be meaningless......it would boil down to who knew which courses the best and not have that much to do with the car.

My old shogun has run in the one lap the last two years....

I wanted to do this event, but realize i would just be wasting $6k (roughly) to go make an *** of myself by running horrible lap times and getting beat by a saturn.
Both drivers (me and a customer/friend of ours) know some of tracks. Not all unfortunately which certainly puts us at a disadvantage to those that have been preparing for this even by driving all the tracks. This is when driving a controllable and forgiving car with tons of power can help big time. Can get up to speed pretty quickly.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about all the silly stuff than can happen during 6000 miles of non-stop driving from track to track on public roads, in all sorts of conditions, than what actually happens at the track. Being hundreds or thousands of miles away from the shop pretty much rules out last minute assistance should something go awry. We'll have wireless internet in the car with us so don't be suprised if we post up SOS messages We gotta show the big lapdogs what an EVO can do!

Shiv
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Tire Rack

I noticed that registration is for a few hours on Thursday and there's a stage there on Friday. When's the best time to see as many participants there at once? Is it open to the public?
Old May 2, 2004, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Shiv,

what is your #? there are only 2 Evo's listed and I can't seem to find yours.....#49 says it is some guy named Paul Gerrard.????

are you guys #49? first place at Heartland?????

if so, that is good..... you sucked *** on the wet skidpad though.

#1 at the Qtr mile also....... i assume this is you guys.???

please reply....
Old May 2, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

that is them
Old May 2, 2004, 06:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
For those interested, there is a thread in the Vishnu Tuning Forum being updated. They are doing great! Check it out!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=78733

Speedlimit..
Old May 3, 2004, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

I don't get around this board too much anymore... thanks for the link.... they are doing pretty well.... as of last night there was a WRX in front of them in their class though.

Originally Posted by Speedlimit
For those interested, there is a thread in the Vishnu Tuning Forum being updated. They are doing great! Check it out!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=78733

Speedlimit..
Old May 3, 2004, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scot
I don't get around this board too much anymore... thanks for the link.... they are doing pretty well.... as of last night there was a WRX in front of them in their class though.
Assuming no mechanical problems, they will reel in that WRX on the second event in Vegas tomorrow, and will have 8 events to go. They have consistently kicked its a s s in every event but the Wet Skidpad. In that event, their Cusco front and rear diffs locked up (which is what they are designed to do) and ruined what could have been one of its strongest events - causing them to have to play catch up with everyone. Subtract that one non-racng, stupid event from the One Lap totals, and they would be in first place overall! This is amazing as they are up against top professional race drivers who are backed by Dodge Viper and Porsche Teams. As it is, they are now in tenth place overall and should be able to slowly surpass several cars as the events come and go: I don't see them doing better than 5th overall in the end - but that would be a huge victory in itself. Winning their division, "Mid Priced Sedans" will not be a problem IF they finish.

Here is a link to the event: http://www.onelapofamerica.com/

Last edited by Smogrunner; May 3, 2004 at 06:43 AM.