Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I might sell evo for a cheaper car

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TwoMix9900
honestly, if price is an issue, you wouldn't want high-maintenance cost sports vehicles...if you want cheaper car, get something reliable like a civic or something...remember, most/all of sports cars have high maintenance cost
i know my way around cars, my friend is a rotary junky, and i know how to treat a car so reliability is not an issue with me. My friend has had the car for 5 years and the only reason the motor went was because he let his brother drive it. i really want to here from the people who have had one or driven one so I can hear their comparisons between handling (I will track occasionally), speed, insurance, and anything else they can come up with. Im not going to sell and downgrade to a civic. I figured an rx-7 because its fast, looks nice, and is cheaper than my car.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

I have to agree with everyone here about the FD3S.

A good friend of mine have one and he spent many $ on the car to improve the cooling issue cuz he want to take the car to the track like he used to.......as a result, he never drive it on the track cuz he dont believe the car can handle it.

As for street use and weekend autox....the car run perfect.

btw...The car has a new rebulit rotory.....so no history of abuse.

I guess is all up to you......sounds like you know the rx-7 well, so you probaby know what you may have to deal with.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 06:33 PM

if your monthly payment is only 400 why not have some one take over payments shoot i would even try
Old Apr 25, 2004, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

You want cheap, raliable and fast....get an SRT4. I just got one last month to compliment my EVO. The SRT4 runs great. Impressed the hell out of me. The 04 has a lim. slip dif. and a little more horsepower than the 03. Picked mine up for 20k and some change. And I get like 26 mpg. Not bad.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

lucky bastard, he can afford both! lol yeah dude I'd offer someone to take over the evo payments. then get a cheap reliable car, like a civic etc.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

isnt the insurance going to go up after you start driving a 2 door sports car? and if u really want something "cheaper" id look for a car that's a little more reliable, overall. even the 2nd gen rx7's are more reliable than the FD, especially the non-turbo ones. And hell it's not slow, it's not too fast but it's still rotary..

but good luck with your decision..!
Old Apr 25, 2004, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Do yourself a big favor, call and then stop by any local dodge dealership and take an SRT4 for a spin. You will be very surprised in a good way.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend, where you live and your preference. I'd try to stick to a car that has at least some performance measures, such as rear wheel drive. If you have the time and patience, you can build a great 240sx with the SR conversion. Then you'll have japanese reliability, rear wheel drive performance and turbo for all under 20gs.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

N/A supra... Insurance shouldn't be too bad, and then turbo the biotch once you get your finances square.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder just how fae folks actually use the benefits of RWD. most folks don't even know how or have the skills to use RWD and it's more of a danger for them..

The Evo lets you get away with a LOT that in a RWD car will put in a world of hurt..
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:06 AM

heard alot of good things about the SRT-4
ie: it can keep up w/ an evo (from a roll)
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

get a used IS300. cheap, not too slow not too fast, comfy, and looks great!
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

If you are going to downgrade and lose already invested money on your evo, then do it right and buy a new domestic. With the 0% financing and discounts you can't go wrong. Your house and a car that can get you anywhere for cheap should be priority one. 13,000 for a used car which can have unseen maintenance/repair bills will kill any plans of saving money.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

if you wanna go real cheap and still want reliability, get a Korean car. haha.
either a Kia, Hyundai, or Daewoo. America's best warranty. 10 years or 100,000 miles. Can't go wrong with that.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 04:14 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked at all options? I don't know you at all but I do know people. I'm going to throw some things out there that may or may not apply to you.
Alcohol?
Tobacco?
Cable television?
Eating out?
Going to the movies?
Golfing / other expensive hobbies? (besides the car)
The first 2 you could and should eliminate completely and the others you could cut back on. The net result might cover your car and then some. They may not apply to you, or only some may apply, but I know enough people who cry about not enough money for their car/rent etc. while spending more than they need on other stuff.