Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

On buying a used Evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2004, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On buying a used Evo

Well my lease on my 3G Eclipse is still ions away (8/06), I am anticipating my future car already. I am seriously considering a Evo8, but here is the dilema.

I have been thinking about buying used, 1-2 years, to not kill myslef on that 1st year major depreciation of a car. Problem in my mind is a used Evo8 might not net a can that will last, especially with the turbo. I have seen too many times where people hammer their turbos but never maintain them well (like getting a turbo timer and the worst is spirited driving and the cutting the car off cold).

So does anyone think buying a used Evo8 would be worth the investment. Hell when I do get around to buying it, I might just buy new, but i am trying to take all things into consideration.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Get a new one bro.

Some people have been getting their Evo's new for about 26k.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

if your buying used cars...

1) bring an experienced mechanic along to inspect the car before you purchase it. mechanics with experience can easily tell of the evo had been maintained well or not...

2) try to buy evo from someone you know so that you'll know for sure what kind of abuse...i meant maintenance the evo went through

3) buy new evo (if mitsubishi/evolution 8 is still around then)
Old Apr 25, 2004, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

I think there is more risk in buying a used turbo car compared with any NA car.

Having said that, there are some great deals on used EVO's and the market on them will always be a little off. The car doesn't have a wide base of appeal like a 3 series BMW. Given some of the bargains out there, it would be hard to not consider a used EVO.

Remember this about the EVO and many of today's turbos. The turbo is both oil and water cooled, which make a HUGE difference. I think the longevity of this turbo is big, like 100K or more. If you did buy one and the turbo went bad, it isn't an enormous bill to have a turbo re-furb'd.

Good luck with it.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ImportPePe
Get a new one bro.

Some people have been getting their Evo's new for about 26k.
26k? for real? in what state, or has it been just depending on individual delearships?
Old Apr 29, 2004, 07:22 PM

Also depends on what you want to do with the car. If a stocker then I say new. If you you want to build up the engine (god knows I got the bug, more HP, more HP) then try to find a good used evo and with the money you save, Have at building and modding. More and more companies are making "stuff " for the evo 8. Turbos, strockers, tunas, etc. so prices should come down.
The 4g63 is damn near bullet proof, stock. The clutch is a real weak point, so consider upgrading. The tranny could have problems if the car was raced every time it came off a red light.
buyer beware!