Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Carmax offered me $22,500

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think I've got it sold for $24k to a guy in NC. Not a done deal yet but looks promising. I posted a FS on the SRT forum and talked to the guy today. Just a tip for anybody else selling their EVO - try the SRT forum.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

metaphysical where did you copy and then paste that info from? Carmax search site?

Man $20k Used evo is starting to sound like a deal.. save the $13k and use it to get the weight down below 3000 lbs then in a year find a wrecked MR in the junkyard and get remaining bits off it.. Options Options.. But I will hold out atleast until the MRs are test driveable for good measure.

Oh the wait.. ARGH.. Must go drive now to forget...
Old Apr 27, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Heres what I dont understand.....

Theres a huge market right now for older vehicles that everyone wants in good condition (AE86, Supra Turbos, 240sx's, etc) and your going to lose a good amount of money because your spooked about Mitsu going under? What are you afraid of?

You wont be able to take your car in for warrenty work, which you would have to fight to get done anyway? (remember, look at an Evo cross-eyed and your warrenty is history...)

You will have a car that is not produced anymore which will eventually drive its market price way up?

I just dont understand, and right now Im playing devils advocate and assuming Mitsu will bow out of the U.S. This WILL NOT happen though. Trust me, the Japanese government will step in if things get out of hand. Mitsu will still be around many years from now, and honestly do you want to look back and be pissed you got a bit scared and sold a car you wanted, and lost a good bit of money doing so???

Lets get things perfectly straight. Mitsubishi isnt going anywhere. Their ****ty service departments arent going anywhere. Everyone just sit tight and let this "drama" play itself out. Nothing but good things will come of these hard times Mitsu is facing. Perhaps the company will restructure and offer a more consolidated product line, and decide performance vehicles should be their focus. Then again, probably not. But thats just it. Just wait and see what happens. Maybe we will even see a restructuring of the dealer/service departments, so we wont have to deal anymore with the dreadful sales tactics and completely useless service departments we have come to expect from Mitsu.

Just for reference, in the late eighties Fuji Heavy Industries almost pulled out of the U.S. and considered an abrupt end to car manufacturing. You might know this company as Subaru. Instead, they came up with a great tag line (from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip), changed their product lineup to cars featuring only AWD, and now look where they are. Just sit tight, and hold on to that Evo. You sell it and I assure you at some point in the near future youll be upset.....

(By the way, if the world stops spinning and Mitsu does decide to pull out, you can bet your **** Ill be selling everything I own so I can plop down a down payment on a new RS)
Old Apr 27, 2004, 03:51 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Can't believe a person would actually sell his brand new Evo because of a word that Mitsu *might* go bankrupt.
I mean JEEZ!!
Is that the only reason??
Old Apr 27, 2004, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

I've yet to see a single EVO on eBay or at a dealer sell for under $25k.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

i think the value would jump big time if they go belly up.

it'll make it a very rare car!.. supras keep their value, and so will evo's!

btw, look at what old 95-99 gsx's (not gs-t's) go for still.. they've kept their value pretty damned good imo for 10 yr old cars!
Old Apr 27, 2004, 04:28 PM

Mitsubishi just won't hold value like Honda and Toyota.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

There are more reasons for my sale beyond the Mitsu situation although that was the final straw. I'm thinking about moving across the country and it will be easier with one less car. Sometimes I also have mixed feelings about owning any high performance car. In real life I find very few chances to actually use the car to its potential. Finally I am living on a fairly low income and maybe I'd be better off with less money tied up in cars.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 05:33 PM

Couldn't be farther from the truth. Carmax pays extra clean money on trades which I as dealer will not touch if I am buying it outright. More like between rough and average dough. Now I can show you more money for your car, if you buy another one, but I will never be able to buy your car outright for more than Carmax is offering. As far as wholesale on an Evo, everyone that is "whoring" them out is bringing the resale down. Still it does have a strong book. I'll actually step up to $24,000 or so for a nice one and retail it for 28 or 29 but that's beause I can actually sell them and own one. It's always funny that people are always reffering to the Evo as a $31,000 car when they don't pay $31,000 for it. If you paid 27 or 28 or some other rediculous price don't refer to it as a 30G car when it comes to resale time. You didn't pay 30 so don't say you lost 10000 when you
lost 6000 or whatever.

Carmax gives low prices so that they can make alot of money when they resale the car. That simple. Doesn't matter the kind of car. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old Apr 27, 2004, 05:39 PM

Only because Mitsu ****** too many cars to rental companies. So if you have 5 03 Accords going through auction and 42 03 Galants which one do you think will be less? It's not rocket science guys, just simply quantity supplied and demand. It has nothing to do with the quality of the car.

Originally posted by hksz
Mitsubishi just won't hold value like Honda and Toyota.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 05:44 PM

Re: Carmax offered me $22,500

Boy does the media have you sold. Mitsu isn't going anywhere. All that happenend is Daimler Chrysler isn't going to contribute to Mitsu anymore so they can focus on there struggling brand. The money that Chrysler was proposing is already funded by the bank of Japan so Mitsu is already fine. Remember the media doesn't make money informing you on good news. Hence why you never see it.

E]Originally posted by Dale_K
This business with the possible Mitsubishi bankruptcy has me spooked and I'm considering selling so I took my EVO to Carmax today in Laurel, MD. It is stock with 8k miles and evaluated as excellent inside & out. Their offer was $22.5k which I thought was a little low. I have posted a separate FS thread but I thought the Carmax price might be of interest to others just to know what their cars are worth at the wholesale level. [/QUOTE]
Old Apr 27, 2004, 07:37 PM

I could tell you where I get my numbers from, but then I'd have to kill you...

But they will answer you how much dealers are willing to pay for Evolutions...
Old May 1, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

If dealers are willing to pay the prices on the first page than that is a very good thing, since they typically like to make $4,000 on every used car they sell. So if they are paying 20.9 to 24k you can probably fetch 25 to 28 in the private market. Just a general rule of thumb. Whether or not Mitsubishi goes under, I'd make a strong wager that like GSX of '95 to '99, or 4G Supra, the Evo will hold its value down the road. It's just time to weed out those who overextended themselves.
Old May 2, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

I think the car is sold at $24k - a guy came by yesterday and left a $500 non refundable deposit. I agreed to hold the car for 7 days while he comes up with the balance.

I probably underpriced it slightly but I'm still happy at beating the Carmax deal. My local Mitsu dealer was not willing to match/beat the Carmax offer.
Old May 2, 2004, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dale_K
There are more reasons for my sale beyond the Mitsu situation although that was the final straw. I'm thinking about moving across the country and it will be easier with one less car. Sometimes I also have mixed feelings about owning any high performance car. In real life I find very few chances to actually use the car to its potential. Finally I am living on a fairly low income and maybe I'd be better off with less money tied up in cars.
That sounds much more reasonable than just, "mitsu might go under."

At least you had fun with it for the time you had it! We'll still be here when you get yourself into a better situation and feel the Evo bug again, regardless of what happens with MMC.

Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply: Carmax offered me $22,500