Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Next Car to Challenge EVO (future models)
A Revamped STi
42.83%
New Toyota Supra
20.22%
New RX-7
8.12%
New Audi S4
4.14%
US Lotus Elise
19.11%
Other (plz list)
5.57%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Next car to challenge Evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard reports about a possible Mazdaspeed RX-8, with 2 turbos and 350 HP. Right now, the RX-8 sucks in my mind, but if it can safely push that power and not blow up like the previous rotary did, then I would consider it. I have hope for a new Supra, but toyota just wont do it IMO. If they do though, and keep it at 27K ish, then I'll think about it.
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And the R32 is a fat porker. Great for soaking up large potholes and speed bumps and isolating the commuter from the outside world.

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/compa...specifications
Account Disabled

I need to get that magazine.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Boni
STi already outperforms the evo STOCK. so...
Depends on how you define performance.

Emre
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

What about the SRT6?

http://chat.autoweek.com/showthread.php?threadid=6236

2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6
Crossfire SRT-6 is first Chrysler with SRT badge

For those who aren't familiar with the abbreviation SRT, Dodge uses it to stand for Street and Racing Technology. Now Chrysler is also going to use the SRT badge for the Crossfire coupe and roadster, which will also be the first SRT vehicles available outside North America. Chrysler will present the 2005 Crossfire SRT-6 at the Geneva Auto Show, which opens to the public on March 4.

Unlike the Dodge SRT versions, which have bold looks and extreme performance, the Chrysler SRT vehicles will be understated and feature refined performance. The Crossfire SRT-6 is equipped with a hand-built 330-hp 3.2-liter supercharged V-6 with 330 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque. It is teamed to an upgraded five-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick. The SRT-6 will be able to perform the sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just 5 seconds. The top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph. The engine delivers 90 percent of peak torque in a broad power band from 2300 to 6200 rpm.

For optimal performance, the Crossfire SRT-6 has a sport tuned suspension with increased spring rates and performance tuned damping and ultra high performance Michelin Pilot Sport tires: 225/40 ZR-18 (front) and 255/35 ZR-19 (rear). Also the ESP is specifically tuned for dynamic driving. Four ventilated disc brakes with dual-piston calipers should stop the fast Crossfire from 60 to 0 mph in approximately 115 feet.

The body of the Crossfire is enhanced with a fixed rear spoiler and a front fascia chin spoiler. In the interior there is a special instrument cluster with a 200-mph speedo, hinting at its performance bent. Pearl nappa leather sport seats with suede inserts and bolsters and embroidered 'SRT-6' on the headrests provide the sporty look. -Henny Hemmes
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

I love that car, I should've mentioned it .
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Boni
STi already outperforms the evo STOCK. so...
That comment is a demonstration of your lack of knowledge on the ability of both cars.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Somethings the STi is better at, somethings the Evo is better at. They are very close.

The STi soaks up bumps better for example.. and blocks UV rays better with its roof vs the Evos optional sunroof.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by boomn29
I did a lot of research on the RX-8 and they were very careful to say 'THIS IS NOT THE NEW RX7'.
They'll use the same chassy, strip out the back seat, save some weight, add some turbos...and done. However they had some bad press about overestimating the power output on the current RX-8, so that might play in.
Maybe I'm not understanding you, but I think that is what I said in my post. I was describing the differences between what the essence of an 'RX7' is and how the RX8 is not that type of car. Its just a spinoff of the feel of the RX7, just not as raw and with some more utility. Again, I might just be misunderstanding you, but I think you just said what I said.

Also, the Mazdaspeed RX8 is already out, and its nothing special. Its not here in the US, but out in Japan. Its just a normal RX8 with some suspension tweaks, some interior touch ups, and the kick *** Mazdaspeed body kit. You can buy it as a complete car in Japan, but here you can just buy pieces. Nice look though. There is a Best Motoring video with it in it, not the fastest car out there, but still a very nice piece.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...4scc_rx8mazda/

Hilg
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
Somethings the STi is better at, somethings the Evo is better at. They are very close.

The STi soaks up bumps better for example.. and blocks UV rays better with its roof vs the Evos optional sunroof.

The guy is driving a turbo lancer... Get an EVO or an STI, then start your ignorance commence. Stock vs stock, yes the STI has an edge over the EVO in the speed department, but that's nothing a little mods can't alleviate. Both are great cars, and I can see them becoming a legend in the future.

As for the new GTR, it looks pretty nice. I'm so in love with the R34!!! Why do they have to change the styling so much...? At least keep the headlights....!!!! I think the new generation corvette z06 is going to kick some ***. That might be my next rid. Peace...
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

If you think the Elise is cool then wait till you see the new Exige! That is one good car (like an Elise but with a hard top and less lift at high speed). But these cars are not for drag racing they are purely for fast road and occasional circuit use. There may be some more mental variants out later as the guys from Lotus get board of throwing the standard cars around the track. Don’t forget the turboed VX220 Sprint. 200+bhp and lots of torque from a 2.0ltr turbo in a light weight body should make it fun!
Try http://www.evo.co.uk for more news on hot machinery that’s coming out.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

anyone see the new toyota 5000gt in Auotmobile mag.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 07:03 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally posted by JNasty4G63
I disagree with both of those. Not being mean, I just don't agree. I for one LOVE the 2JZ I-6 engine, but by todays standards, its not very good tech. I mean, back in 97, you could only get the Turbo Supra as an auto because of emissions problems. Its a great engine, no doubt about it, but I just see it kind of fading out as soon as newer models come out. It just can't keep up with the power needs of new cars while maintaining acceptable emmissions that are required now. I mean, the SR20 was a geat engine, but Nissan had to move on to the QR25 because the SR just didn't cut it anymore. The Lexus IS is the only car using the 2JZ now. The new Lexus GS coming out is powered by a new 3.0 V6 that puts out 250hp or the good old 4.3 V8. And, when the new IS comes out in a couple years or so, I'm sure it will do the same. The inline-6 is going away. Sad to say, but it is. Even though Toyota is the largest car company in the world, I just don't see them making a specific engine just for one car. If a new Supra comes to be, basing its engine off an existing one is much more cost effective, saving everyone $$$. I mean, like I said before about the VQ with Nissan, that engine rocks. Its in everything from Altima's to Z's to Murano's to the Quest minivan. But, when you drive the Z, the engine feels absolutely perfect for the car.

Next, we move to the RX8 and RX7. The RX8 was not marketed as a replacement to the RX7. The RX7 has always been a 2 seat, small, high performing sports car. The RX8 was designed as an evolution of that theory, just expanding the room and utility of the vehicle while keeping the rotary engine. That was why it was called the RX8 and not the new RX7. They just don't relate to one another. Sure, they both have Rotary engines, but that is where I see the similarities ending. I really do think we will see a new RX7. Might not make it here to the States, but I bet it will happen. Same thing like I was saying with the 2JZ, the old rotary in the RX7's were great, back then. But, the new Renesis is a whole new animal. I read somewhere that they can get upwards of 275-290hp from it without turbos. Even that ammount of power would be great in a nice light car like an RX7. But, if they turbo it as well, it would be even better. And, the fact that the engine is side port now, just makes the whole thing add up even better.

Again, thats just my take. Don't want to seem like I'm ripping on you. I understand your take on these topics, I just happen to disagree. Good thoughts though.

Hilg
Very good points on the Supra. I wasn't suggesting the 2JZ for the Supra, more trying to point out that Toyota doesn't have a strong high performance motor right now for a flagship sports car. They'll need to develop something unique for the Supra - maybe a derivative of the 4.3 V8.

As for the RX7/8, I wasn't referring to marketing. I was referring to engineering and corporate decisions within Ford/Mazda. The RX8 was conceived, designed, and engineered as the replacement for the RX7, with an asterik next to it allowing for the eventual return of the "real" RX7. The RX7 failed miserably sales-wise, which is why the RX8 is $10,000 cheaper, has 2 more doors, and no turbo (reliability/cost). As for that asterik, Mazda, privately and publicly, indicated the RX7 could return if the RX8 was succesful - based on the RX8, minus 2 doors, plus a turbo. 350-400 HP, and a higher price tag, only this time around the RX8 would offset the potential losses.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 07:05 AM
El Jefe

Originally posted by chuntington101
If you think the Elise is cool then wait till you see the new Exige! That is one good car (like an Elise but with a hard top and less lift at high speed). But these cars are not for drag racing they are purely for fast road and occasional circuit use. There may be some more mental variants out later as the guys from Lotus get board of throwing the standard cars around the track.
The Exige is a badass car. Great power-to-weight, great handling. My only fault of the car is that I have a hard time getting in and out.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 07:06 AM
El Jefe

Originally posted by evotoo
anyone see the new toyota 5000gt in Auotmobile mag.
The 5000GT was a concept drawing for the future Supra.

Quick Reply: Next car to challenge Evo