Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo and 350Z long term test (R & T)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo and 350Z long term test (R & T)

Just read Road & Track's long term test that included the Evo and the Z. Seems like they love the Evo. For those that bash , Nissan also denies warantee on clutches and gives the same wear item and abuse story. They put 30,000 on the Evo and no mention of a clutch change, unlike the RWD 350Z. Here are the quotes from the site:

2003 Nissan 350Z Touring

"And the Z has been just about trouble-free." It appears we jinxed our Z in the last update (November 2003), as Nissan's sports car has shown some serious new-car teething problems since. We had feared the transmission would be the weak link in the Z, and we were right. At 26,500 miles we took the car into the dealer to address a bad 5th-gear synchro and excessive gear whine. The verdict was an internal failure in the transmission, replaced by Nissan under warranty. While the transmission was out, the dealer also noticed that the clutch was worn and had hot spots. This necessitated its replacement along with the pressure plate, throw-out bearing and flywheel. The dealer considers these as "wear items," and felt they had undergone abuse. While we do drive the Z with vigor, we disagree we ever abused it. Nonetheless, we were out $1183.
At the same time, we replaced the front and rear brake pads, along with a resurfacing of the rotors ($486). On a high note, the dealer installed an updated Bose amplifier for the stereo (via a recall campaign) that drastically improved the sound quality, one of the items we complained about previously. They also solved the grease streak that had plagued the driver's door window from Day 1, installing updated window stoppers in both doors.

Despite the problems, our passion for the Z has diminished only slightly. And whenever editors get back into it after a period spent in other cars, they almost always say, "Now I remember why I like this car so much."

Delivered price: $34,288
Total miles/miles since last report: 33,517/11,975
Maintenance costs to date : $1954
Repair costs to date : $2273

And the Evo's review:

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

The Evo is proving to be the ultimate grin-factor car among our long-termers. With only a couple of exceptions, everyone on staff absolutely loves Mitsubishi's real 4-door sports car. About the only complaint we have is that the carbon-fiber wing obstructs the rearward view, making it difficult to tell if that car behind you has a light bar on its roof.

We've been going through a set of the superb Yokohama A-046 Advan tires about every 10,000 miles, and although pricey — $212 each from The Tire Rack — the grip they give in both wet and dry makes them worth every penny. We replaced the brake pads and had the rotors turned at all four corners ($400) at 20,500 miles, and considering how aggressively most of us drive the car, this seems about right. And if you don't think the Evo can handle long-haul trips, talk to Editorial Secretary Julie Branch; she took the Evolution on a 4800-mile journey from California to South Dakota and back, "and loved every minute of it."

This car is an incredible driving machine. It's taut, crisp and — yes — a bit nervous. The terrific combination of suspension and power begs you to push this car faster and deeper into each and every turn. And the Evo was actually quite pleasant on a trip to Monterey and back. — Richard M. Baron, Design Director

Turning radius is poor; it needs a 6th gear for more relaxed highway cruising; gear linkage is a bit notchy; it's loud inside, thanks to driveline whine, turbo whoosh and what appears to be minimal sound deadening. All that said, what a blast it is to squirt around town in this thing! — Andrew Bornhop, Senior Editor

This is the most aggressively tuned street car I have ever driven. It slices, it dices, it cuts up corners and dashes through traffic. With strong brakes, quick turn-in and loads of steady-state cornering force, this car begs for banked freeway onramps. — Shaun Bailey, Assistant Road Test Editor

Delivered price: $30,062
Total miles/miles since last report: 29,555/26,125
Maintenance costs to date : $2595
Repair costs to date : $189
Average mpg to date: 19.5
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting write up. But does anyone else find it fishy that they quoted $400 as the price for the dealership to replace the Brembo pads and turn the rotors? From the dealership, the cost of the pads alone exceed $400...Most people I have spoken with who had brakes done at the dealership were quoted prices nearer to $800 for this service.

SC~
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:30 PM

Yeah, I don't know where they go to get there car serviced, but I wish they would actually be realistic about the prices. If I remember right, there was a tire rotation for what eight dollars? C'mon
Old Apr 29, 2004, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Good write up I agree most people think it is not a good car for daily driving or long hauls but I do both with my Evo and love every minute of it so to all the people who think that maybe this will help sway there minds. When I do drive another car really miss my Evo and cant wait to get back in it..
Old Apr 30, 2004, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for posting the R&T write up. I agree with pretty much all of the editors and what they are saying about the Evo. The Evo is an amazing car, I can't believe that there are still 03's sitting on the lots, especially the way all the magazines praise the Evo.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I took one of the 03's off the lot two days ago

Good find on the articles. I agree with almost every description of the Evo, and I haven't really pushed mine yet. I did notice in my parking garage at work that the turn radius isn't that great. However, it can still make that turn radius at 30 mph! Try that in a Z

ac
Old Apr 30, 2004, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the Z has clutch problems too? Hehe, can't wait to make fun of one of my friends, he thinks his Z is unbeatable, the ultimate machine on the road . I mean I like the car, but please, the Z is an EVO's ***** on the weekends .
Old Apr 30, 2004, 03:11 PM

I also just got my EVO, last weekend to be exact. I was considering waiting for an MR, but I'm just not that patient. Although there are 03's left, they are actually going fast now. I've noticed the supplies dwindling from the dealerships in the last couple months, and I had to go to three different dealerships to find a blue one. Since the 03's are selling for below invoice, the last ones are moving pretty quickly. I got mine for 26,900.
Old May 1, 2004, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
26,900 is really nice, I hope to get an 04' in about a year for that price or lower .
Old May 2, 2004, 12:33 PM
Account Disabled

The Z's actually have no clutch problems that are widely reported.....unlike the Evo

The '03 Z's were plagued by some bad trannies in early models, though those issues are nearly non existant for '04.

Just figured I'd chime in as a Z owner

So far, I have 15k on mine (picked it up in September '03, and mine is an '04 model ) - I have not had to visit the dealership for a single problem. So far, this is the only car I can say that about that I have ever owned !

Last edited by Z1 Performance; May 2, 2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old May 2, 2004, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

well I am glad that people are buying the rest of the 03's. I just don't understand how they couldn't sell them all by now, especially with all the press reviews being so positive. I have to wonder about the Mitsubishi dealer network or something along those lines.
Old May 2, 2004, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

It's the first model in the country. First models are always likely to have some kind of problem resulting in recalls or improved models in the following years. That's probably why, or people living near the dealership are too poor to afford evos, or too rich to drive in an evo, or are import haters, or just not into speed, or just dumbasses. haha
Old May 2, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

The 2F2F nonsense certianly turned a lot of potential folks off. In the respected circuit racing world, too many folks always jab that at Evos. Cars get credit through real racing scenes in movies like Bullit's Mustang and Eleanor of GT500 fame.. Not floorbaords exploding and dual NOS buttons.. NOS.. sheesh.. Hopefully by next year all the propeganda junk will have been burned an forgotten.
Old May 2, 2004, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Rumor is that The Fast And The Furious is a trilogy.

HAHA.. hope that helps.
Old May 2, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe they'll use an STi or new C6 in any future disgraces..

Quick Reply: Evo and 350Z long term test (R & T)