Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Where did you guys mount the front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by BLiu
Actually, in that case, just forego the third attachment altogether and use only two mount points. You gotta figure the two screws would keep the license plate in place. That's the feeling I am getting. This thread is helping a lot! Thanks guys!

Brent
Yeah, but what you're forgetting is that at speed, the wind will push that tab that has nothing holding it in place against the bumper. Vibration will eventually cause it to scratch through the paint. That's the real reason I put the double-sided tape there.

- Steve
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
Yeah, but what you're forgetting is that at speed, the wind will push that tab that has nothing holding it in place against the bumper. Vibration will eventually cause it to scratch through the paint. That's the real reason I put the double-sided tape there.

- Steve
Very true - I was planning on putting painter's tape (the blue stuff) on the bumper as well as the license plate frame to protect against scratches. My real thinking is that it is temporary until after the fix-it ticket is resolved.

Honestly, I have not had front license plates on all my cars for the last 10 years and I have never gotten a fix it ticket for it. I guess it was just my time. There is definitely a "quota" to fill for these motorcycle cops, because this is the last week of the month, and he was sitting at LAX and he is not even an airport cop but a cop from West LA. So he came down to LAX just to get some tickets from people at the airport.

Brent
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLiu
Actually, in that case, just forego the third attachment altogether and use only two mount points. You gotta figure the two screws would keep the license plate in place. That's the feeling I am getting. This thread is helping a lot! Thanks guys!

Brent
That's how mine is, but it came from the factory with a cushion on the third place.
Old May 1, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Update: I put on the mounting bracket for the front license plate today. Turns out the third mounting point is not needed so the bumper is saved from drilling damage. The top two mounting points are perpendicular to each other such that there is adequate resistance against wind and the third mounting point below is not needed. There is even a fourth mounting arm that pushes against the screen mesh and already has foam padding. So I bent back the third mounting arm and wrapped it with duct tape for extra insurance that if it does hit the bumper it is adequately padded. Mounted the license plate and we are good to go!

Of course, it is only temp... Thanks for all your help guys!
Old May 1, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted
i "mounted" mine right inbetween my drivers seet and the center console... if i get pulled over i throw it up in the windsheild (note: you need dark rear tint for this to work or they will see you do it)
This might work in different states but here in Cali. You have to have it mounted outside the car, not just thrown on the dashboard. Also this is what a friend of mine said, he is a Sheriff but cool. He said that if you get a fix it ticket here in Cali., they will put that violation in their computer and the next time you get pull over again for the same infraction, no more fix it ticket. You will have to pay the amount of the violation and it goes up everytime it happens again. Aint that a b*tch!
Old May 1, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

mount it on the intercooler, just screw right trough it!!
Old May 1, 2004, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

i've been driving without front licence plates for years, no trouble yet
i guess depends on states
Old May 1, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

if i get a ticket and have to use the frame, i'll put either felt or a rubber cushion on that part that touches the bumper. You can get them at Home Depot for like $3 for a package. They're supposed to go on furniture legs. Either that, or I was thinking zip tie it to the intercooler mesh and drill a bunch of holes in it so the air can get through.
Old May 2, 2004, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rocketscience
if a rubber cushion on that part that touches the bumper..

This works out well for me without drilling through the bumper, and no problem with plate falling off either.
Old May 2, 2004, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RTS EVO VIII
mount it on the intercooler, just screw right trough it!!
funny man

I have mine mounted on my wall in my garage........ been pulled over once, just a warning though.......
Old May 2, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
I used the factory mount bracket. I used the two existing holes up under the bumper to mount it, and where it wanted me to drill the front bumper I just used double sided tape. That way if I decide to remove it there won't be a hole.

- Steve
I did the exact same thing! Good job Steve
Old May 2, 2004, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Back seat
Old May 2, 2004, 11:09 PM

It made me sick putting my front plate on! Two days later I get pulled over for no front plate! It was there, right where I f-ing mounted it. The officer was a *****, after I told him to look at the front of the car he came back to me all pissy and demanded my license, insurance, and registration. He then told me I should remove my license plate cover "cause he could still hardley see it standing in front of the car"
Old May 16, 2004, 06:03 AM

About the petition, I see valid reasons for not mounting a front plate but cali stands to make a lot more money by keeping the law in place. First, the income from the fix it tickets/fines. Next are new intersection cameras that take a picture of the front plate when you blast past a red light. (they send you a ticket in the mail with a picture of you driving the car)

*interesting note, one guy hit a red light with his mistress in the car and his wife found the picture in the mail. The couple divorced and the guy sued the city for 2 million dollars and won. Since then, they only show the driver of the car and black out any passengers.

But yea, it sucks that you have to mount one, I agree that it takes away from the looks. Especially if you've paid to put on a kit.
Old May 16, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

I have been pulled over once for not having a front plate. Hell, I am still wondering where my rear plates are!

I guess one good point about CA being broke is the serious lag delivering plates. I bought my EVO in January, and still have not recieved any plates.

Quick Reply: Where did you guys mount the front license plate?