Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Where did you guys mount the front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you guys mount the front license plate?

Got a fix-it ticket today in CA for not having the front license displayed...so I need to figure out a good place to install it on the front bumper...Thanks!

Brent
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:17 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

I used the Mitsubishi license plate frame which mounts it off to the side on the passenger side of the car. I think it requires a single hole be drilled in your front bumper. You can see the frame in this pic without the plate attached:
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I'm leaving mine off ...

If I was you, I'd just velcro the thing for the court appearance and then take it off again.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:02 AM

UFO is correct, you can mount the factory front lic plate assembly, but it will require drilling a hole about 1/2" round to insert the rubber screw grommet thing in your bumper cover. 2 other screws use existing threaded mounts. My car had the front lic assembly already on it, I removed it and had to purchase a plug and paint it to hide the hole. Did you get a lic plate assembly with car? Personally, I'm taking my chances with no front plate 'cause it ruins the looks IMO. I've got my plate held in place w/ 2 rubber bands to the underside of my passenger-side sun visor, all I do is flip down the sun visor and there it is displayed in the front windshield big as can be. Haven't found out if it'll work yet or not. I have no idea how expensive a ticket may be.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/

Spread the word...
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dilow
I signed the petition. Done
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UFO
I used the Mitsubishi license plate frame which mounts it off to the side on the passenger side of the car. I think it requires a single hole be drilled in your front bumper. You can see the frame in this pic without the plate attached:
mine is like the pic above, but I didn't have to drill into the bumper. Mine is held on by a screw on the IC screen and one on the opposite side. Came from the factory like that.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Monkey
mine is like the pic above, but I didn't have to drill into the bumper. Mine is held on by a screw on the IC screen and one on the opposite side. Came from the factory like that.
Can you take a picture of it? I would appreciate it. I want to avoid drilling into the bumper if I can. Thanks!

Brent
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

It will take me about a day. I don't have a digital camera and its not the greatest weather outside here right now.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

i showed them.. signed.. beeeeeeeeeeyotch.. lol. .. sorry not myself.. but neither is evom.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Great! Hope this petition helps...
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

i "mounted" mine right inbetween my drivers seet and the center console... if i get pulled over i throw it up in the windsheild (note: you need dark rear tint for this to work or they will see you do it)
Old Apr 30, 2004, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

I used the factory mount bracket. I used the two existing holes up under the bumper to mount it, and where it wanted me to drill the front bumper I just used double sided tape. That way if I decide to remove it there won't be a hole.

- Steve
Old Apr 30, 2004, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Front plate on the EVO makes me cry. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
I used the factory mount bracket. I used the two existing holes up under the bumper to mount it, and where it wanted me to drill the front bumper I just used double sided tape. That way if I decide to remove it there won't be a hole.

- Steve
Actually, in that case, just forego the third attachment altogether and use only two mount points. You gotta figure the two screws would keep the license plate in place. That's the feeling I am getting. This thread is helping a lot! Thanks guys!

Brent

Quick Reply: Where did you guys mount the front license plate?