Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Acd + Ayc

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2004, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok now what's an open differential? how is it different from the limited slip differential?
rather than to explain what it is, ill illustrate, ill let someone else explain technically.

if your stuck in mud...an open diff will spin the wheel which has the least amount of resistance, power will be directed to the wheel with the elast amount or resistance. A limited slip will force power to the both wheels equally or "lock up" with tension springs inside.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1QWKEVO
as the USDM evo sits it handles 90 degree turns fine stock... again if you know how to control the vehicle. I personally would liek to have both the ACD and AYC on my car just for the state of mind of them being on there, daily driving you won't notice anytihng really other then the car may pull for feel like its pulling slightly harder becasue of the torque split. AYC would be great to have just as a safety device, I mean the car would be much safer in rain and troublesome situations.

You can add all these devices to the USDM but it is very costly, actually i'm not sure if the AYC is possible but i know the ACD has be transplanted, your better off selling your current model and buying a new model which already has them.

PS the USDM only has one mechanical diff, rear. The front is open on the evolution VIII. The RS is said to have front and rear mechanical diffs.
I've driven a Evo 7 extensively. You do notice the ACD and AYC and front diff combination. You can easily feel the different program modes too. AYC is not the electronic nanny that PSM and the rest are.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

i heard the Spec C will actually have the AYC when it comes over. i wouldnt doubt since subaru brought over ACD first.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mprtklr
rather than to explain what it is, ill illustrate, ill let someone else explain technically.

if your stuck in mud...an open diff will spin the wheel which has the least amount of resistance, power will be directed to the wheel with the elast amount or resistance. A limited slip will force power to the both wheels equally or "lock up" with tension springs inside.

ok when you mean spin the wheel with the least resistance, doesn't that mean that the wheel has the least friction? then wouldn't that cause the wheel to just spin more than gain any traction??
Old Apr 30, 2004, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Killer website...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
Old Apr 30, 2004, 06:52 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by moviemadness
ok when you mean spin the wheel with the least resistance, doesn't that mean that the wheel has the least friction? then wouldn't that cause the wheel to just spin more than gain any traction??
Exactly; that's why limited slip differentials are used.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

so the limited slip differential slows the spin down for more traction? or just spins it more?
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

the limited slip, will STOP or really slow down (depending of resistance force) the wheel thats freewheeling and force power to the wheel with the grip.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

ok guys... lol i'm really confused here.. correct me if i'm wrong ( because i most likely am ).. but i thought our evos redirect power to the tires that have the most grip??? idk.. but after reading this thread i have been totally confused... ... i just wanna know what OUR evos can do and the handling situation on them... like what does what exactly.... if anyone can answer that in full that would be great.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
The MR hasn't been officially announced yet.
False, it has been officially announced.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...82696&mime=JPG
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

AH!! NO AYC!!!! WHY!!!???

but hey, more hp. haha. that's good to know.

ok, the hell with 2004 evo i'm getting the 2005. haha.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

The AYC diff is not strong enough to come to the american market. And not to mention the added cost involved.

The ACD is strong enough though. Most of the maintenace costs are due to the ayc anyway, acd is pretty much self maintaining (just your normal gear oil changes).
Old Apr 30, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steveevo8
ok guys... lol i'm really confused here.. correct me if i'm wrong ( because i most likely am ).. but i thought our evos redirect power to the tires that have the most grip??? idk.. but after reading this thread i have been totally confused... ... i just wanna know what OUR evos can do and the handling situation on them... like what does what exactly.... if anyone can answer that in full that would be great.

the differential in the front is open. so power being sent to the front will go via path of least resistance to either the left or right. the center is a viscous coupling...like a limited slip diff. the power will be forced to the front or back based on which SIDE (front/back) has more resistance (grip). the rear is a limited slip, so it will act the same as the center.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ringthree
False, it has been officially announced.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...82696&mime=JPG
God, someone kill me now.

That is not a press release. Until we see a press release, it is not "official" in any way.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
God, someone kill me now.

That is not a press release. Until we see a press release, it is not "official" in any way.
Ok, whatever dude. Its on Mitsubishi's US site. Would you like to have them send you a special invitation to test drive one?