Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Acd + Ayc

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2004, 06:22 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
The only benefit of the MR for a drag racer *might* be the 6 speed... I wonder if the drag guys wouldn't stay away from the pricier MR and stick with the regular Evo...
Old May 7, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vicbdn
"The 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution MR edition, scheduled to go on sale this fall, will add an active center differential, six-speed manual transmission, more horsepower, a lightweight aluminum roof and BBS forged aluminum wheels."

So...there's a LSD in front instead of a open diff? I see the ACD part, but wheres the front LSD?
Excuse me if its blatantly obvious but I dont really understand the difference. Also mprtklr said that the vicious coupling acted like a limited slip diff....so whats the difference between that and a ACD?
I dont know if it was my assumption that you would have to have a front LSD for ACD to work, or if I actually read it somewhere. Either way the point is the same, it will have a front LSD.

If you dont see the difference then go ahead and get an Evo. I will wait for the MR.

A viscous coupling just diverts power as traction changes. The ACD (like Subie's DCCD) allows you to control the front to rear split for power. (The ACD has different sents, like tarmac, gravel and snow with a respectively higher split, the DCCD, if I remember correct lets you actually adjust it in increments of 5%)
Old May 7, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, ACD's torque split is always 50:50.
Old May 7, 2004, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Yeah, it just controls the lock-up so that under different conditions more or less torque is laid down, so technically I was wrong when I said torque-split, but in my own mind I knew what I was talking about.

The Active Centre Differential, first introduced in the Evo VII, is an electronically controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch which distributes torque between the front and rear to improve traction under acceleration out of a corner. It works in conjunction with Active Yaw Control which enhances grip and steering response whilst driving through the bend itself. Using sensors, ACD regulates slippage in the 50:50 torque-split diff from free to lock-up according to speed and load. So under hard acceleration the ACD moves towards lock-up to put more torque down on the road for stronger traction, but with rapid steering inputs it operates virtually like an open differential to improve steering feel and response.
Old May 7, 2004, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zstryder
Thats not true either, tarmac mode has more rear bias. But ACD is not just a simple variable ratio control either. Several other things are happening depending what the car is doing. Locking profiles are different in each mode and it responds to steering inputs (straight,left,right) longitudinal and lateral acceleration and braking.

ACD <> DCCD and AYC <> PSM or other manufacturers yaw control. Both are different systems with different intent.
Old May 10, 2004, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erikgj
Thats not true either, tarmac mode has more rear bias. But ACD is not just a simple variable ratio control either. Several other things are happening depending what the car is doing. Locking profiles are different in each mode and it responds to steering inputs (straight,left,right) longitudinal and lateral acceleration and braking.

ACD <> DCCD and AYC <> PSM or other manufacturers yaw control. Both are different systems with different intent.
Dammit, so I am right or wrong? By my reading, you are wrong, but I know this debate happened about the DCCD and I never got a straight answer there either.
Old May 10, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Hm... I took some time to look up some stuff.

On ACD:

This revolutionary 4WD system regulates differential limiting force. The ACD replaces the viscous coupling-type differential used in the past with a hydraulically actuated multi-plate clutch. Developed with rally use in mind, the ACD uses a center differential to distribute drive torque equally between front and rear wheels and thereby improve steering response at the same time as enhancing traction.

The multi-plate clutch employs the same kind of steel plates as mechanical limited-slip differentials, Using sensors, the system electronically optimizes the cover clamp load to match driver input and vehicle operating status. Thus able to regulate center differential limiting action from free to locked, as conditions require. ACD's multi-plate clutch delivers up to three times the differential limiting force of a viscous couple.

Under hard acceleration, the ACD reduces slippage and approaches a locked state, thereby transmitting more torque to the road surface for better traction and acceleration. When the driver makes rapid steering inputs, meanwhile, the ACD operates virtually as an open differential to improve steering response and feel through corners while retaining outstanding 4WD stability. The ACD also enables the driver to manually select one of three modes - Tarmac, Gravel, Snow. Last but not least the ACD operates in a virtually open state when the parking brake is used, thereby enabling rapid and effective side brake turns.
On AYC:

Mitsubishi's Active Yaw Control traction enhancement system uses a computer to optimally regulate torque transfer in the rear differential on 4WD models and thereby tailor rear wheel differentials to match driver operation and vehicle operating status. In this way, MMC's proprietary system both equalizes the load on the four tires by adaptively regulating the yaw moment that acts on the body and improves cornering performance without inducing any sense of deceleration.

When accelerating through a corner, AYC reduces understeer by transferring torque to the outer wheel; when decelerating in a corner, AYC enhances stability by transferring torque to the inner wheel. AYC also improves traction on surfaces with low or split friction coefficients and has fully proven its worth since it was first introduced in Evolution IV.

For Evolution VII, all parts of the torque transfer mechanism of rear differential have been uprated to match the increase in engine torque, while breather and clutch operating durability have been improved. The system shares the same computer, hydraulic actuator unit and sensors as the ACD, thus reducing weight and improving reliability.
On ACD + AYC:

On Evolution VII, control of the ACD and AYC systems is integrated by computer. ACD control is based on: (1) A feedback control strategy to improve vehicle stability by keeping actual body attitude as close as possible to pre-determined attitudes as derived from steering angle and vehicle speed and, (2) A feedforward control strategy that responds rapidly to driver acceleration and deceleration actions. By combining these strategies in an optimal manner, ACD achieves the outstanding stability of a full-time 4WD vehicle and enhances steering response while realizing the superior traction of locked up 4-wheel drive. In the integrated system, ACD feedback and feedforward information is transmitted to the AYC control system using parameters in such a way that the larger the ACD differential limiting force is, the larger the yaw moment generated by the AYC system.

This precise and integrated control operates so that, for example when accelerating out of a corner, the ACD enhances traction and the AYC enhances steering response and cornering performance. And because of its seamless nature, the driver is unaware of the integrated system as it operates to improve acceleration and handling more than the ACD and AYC systems would if they were operating independently.

ACD+AYC control schematic Reduces slippage in proportion to deceleration to improve stability.

Increases slippage in proportion to steering angle and steering input speed to improve steering through corner Reduces slippage in proportion to throttle opening to boost traction Transfers torque to outer wheel to match steering angle and steering input speed, to improve steering through corner.

Transfers torque to outer wheel in proportion to throttle opening to reduce understeer and improve cornering performance (In cornering under deceleration, reduces oversteer by transferring torque to inside wheel)
Old May 10, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

So it seems like ACD doesn't control torque distribution, but is more of a thing to control the locking of the center diff. And, depending on the profile, driver input, and road conditions, ACD will lock at variable rates.

AYC on the other hand, seems simple enough to understand..