Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

3rd and 5th are grinding!!! wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 3rd and 5th are grinding!!! wtf?!

ok im really mad.. what the heck...5th should NOT be grinding.

Last edited by JaReDbOy; May 8, 2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

really wouldnt take anything off because they will most likely void it when they see the aftermarket clutch. I remember my friend had a new clutch installed on his talon. About 6k miles later it was doing exactly what your car was doing. It was all because the clutch install was not done propely.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by JaReDbOy; May 8, 2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

well the fact is once they disassemble your transmission they will see ur aftermarket clutch and void ur warranty. Honestly thats really with any car company. I mean there is alot of things that it could be. Did you break it in properly? Did you beat on the tranny when you had the aftermarket clutch? I would go back to the shop you had it done at and ask for there opinion before you go to the dealer.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 05:56 PM

It's not "really gay" -- it's apart of owning a car.

Evo's seem to have delicate transmissions, and since ya put in an aftermarket clutch, yer warranty for that area is void.

But I also agree, take it to the performance shop before you take it to the Mitsu dealer. More than likely if it's a defect in their installation or the new clutch, either or will have a warranty of some sort against defects ( defective clutch or imporper installation ) -- If they say it's not their fault, just let us know who they are and report them to the BBB for non rendering of proper services.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

I just got done with this problem. 5th gear went, they replaced the syncro and put in a cusco twin disk carbon. The clutch aggravated the already worn 3rd gear syncro, and they rebuilt it then. I dont think it's over at this point, so Shep's shop is in my future. These trannies can hold a bunch of power, when built right. I dont think its really a tranny that is going to take an awful lot of quick shifting and driving abuse. BTW, Lancershops extended slave cylinder rod helps, as does the stainless line!
Old Apr 29, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIMR
It's not "really gay" -- it's apart of owning a car.

Evo's seem to have delicate transmissions, and since ya put in an aftermarket clutch, yer warranty for that area is void.

But I also agree, take it to the performance shop before you take it to the Mitsu dealer. More than likely if it's a defect in their installation or the new clutch, either or will have a warranty of some sort against defects ( defective clutch or imporper installation ) -- If they say it's not their fault, just let us know who they are and report them to the BBB for non rendering of proper services.

actually i think it is really gay.. for one, there's no reason why a clutch or transmission should be going this quickly in a high performance car such as the evo-even with aggressive driving. Now im not talking about grinding gears or power shifting like a dumbass- but rather the evo, being built as a track car, shouldnt have such a delicate transmission that you can't get on it. it should be beefed up to handle the kind of driving that the car is meant for. obviously you dont buy a car like this to drive 55 on the highway like you would a toyota corolla.. i mean come on, let be real here. Just to let you all know, I haven't launched the car once since I had put the new clutch in, and yes i did properly break it in, 500 miles of easy driving on it, and then i still didnt get on the car for a while after that.

Some have suggested that maybe the fluids need to be changed or the clutch needs to be adjusted.. any thoughts on this?

Also im just sorta curious- say it was because i slammed on the gears too much - wouldnt the problem be found in mainly 2nd and 3rd gear then? i mean 5th is pretty much used as your cruising gear on the highwayIn fact I cant remember ever shifting hard into 5th gear.. so why would 5th be th first one to go?

Last edited by JaReDbOy; May 8, 2004 at 08:04 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:30 PM

Shrug, my room mates Z06 has 34k miles on it and has gone through two clutches, albeit heavy SCCA driving.

20k miles per clutch, 30k miles or so seems to be pretty fair in my opinion.

I know my old 73 Z28 burned through em like paper.

Get an automatic electric smart car if you want minimal expenses.

Expect to have to pay a little more to maintain a tuned performance car to keep it running in top shape.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Do yourself a favor, have that tranny taken off and shipped to John Shepherd of Shepherd racing. He'll do it cheap, fast, and it'll be the strongest Evo tranny out there
Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

I had my trans and a clutch installed on my GST. For like first month it was all notchy and would grind it was horrible. After changing the fluids it was fine. However it was pretty much in every gear. I mean guys are racing on stock transmissions running low 12s. I really dont know what to say. I would try adjusting and fluid change.I mean even the strongest racing transmissions and clutches go. Its just the luck of the draw. Every car will have problems. I am not familiar with the clutch masters stage 3 clutch. not sure if that is a daily driver clutch. Seems right to me. you upgrade the clutch and your putting more pressure on the plate etc.... and transmission. If mine ever goes i am going to get one that allows slipping especially on a AWD drivetrain. Just go get it checked out. Sounds like a synchro problem. thats what mine was like when my clutch started to go on my GST.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

on a side note you should have gotten this one LOL.
RRE No Name Clutch Kit

3,000 lbs clamp load, organic street disc that is easy on your driveline. Best of all, it looks stock for warranty purposes :-) It held up in the SCC shootout.
Old May 8, 2004, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Just wanted everyone to know that 5th gear synchro is indeed bad, and is being covered under warranty LIKE IT SHOULD BE.

actually apparantly there is a bulliten out that 5th gear can go bad.