Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OT Question Evolution vs S4

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2002, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OT Question Evolution vs S4

I have a friend who's into German cars like there is not tomorrow. Recently when I went to put my down payment on the Evo 8 he was with me. He kept telling me to get a real car and that the Evolution comes no where near the German car level. He was stating that the Evolution will be no match for the Audi S4 he stated that the S4 is untouchable once upgraded. Personally I believe that the Evolution 8 will **** on S4s Anyday of the week. I'd like to hear some of your comments or opinions.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 08:15 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

The S4 is a nice compromise, but it's not a performance car like the Evo should be. My friend had a highly modded S4 and we took it out on the track... APR chip, exhaust, Vortrag coilovers, Alcon brakes, Yoko A032Rs and more. It had about 320hp and pulled like crazy on the straights. Around turns you could really feel the weight of the car though. It's way too heavy... even with 600# springs the thing would roll sooo much. On top of that it would start to overheat by the end of the session.

It was a great everyday car though and the ride was great.

Basically if you want all out performance with no frills go Evo. If you want a little less performance but more build quality, better ride, etc go for the S4. They're really two different types of cars with two different purposes in mind.

Mark
Old Sep 5, 2002, 08:15 PM

The Audi S4 Quattro

Engine:
DOHC biturbo 90° V6 with 5 valves per cylinder, variable valve
timing and variable composite intake manifold
Displacement: 2.7 liters (163 cu.in.)
Bore: 3.19 in.
Stroke: 3.40 in.
Compression ratio: 9.3:1
Horsepower (SAE net): 250 @ 5800 rpm
Torque: 258 lb/ft @ 1850-3600 rpm

0-60:
manual: 5.9

Curb Weight: 3593

---------------------------
The S4 has a larger engine, with 2 more cylinders and it's 0.7 liters larger with the displacement, but the way the engine stands, it produces less horsepower and it weighs 500 pounds more. People have clocked the stock evo as accelerating to 60 in a full second faster than a stock S4. I don't know so much about upgrading a S4, but I would imagine that you could make a ton of horsepower with it. But, the evo starts off lighter and with more power. It might not be able to upgrade to as much HP overall as an S4, but it will have a weight advantage.

So, it's a close call I guess. The Evo is also going to be at least about $10k cheaper too.

Up to the buyer I guess.

-suave
Old Sep 5, 2002, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

The EVO and S4 are targeting two different groups of potential customer. Like Mark said, the S4 has relatively less performance and more built quality, luxury and other goodies. While on the other hand, the EVO has only one thing in mind and that's all around hardcore performance. It not like the S4 is weak on performance, however, its weight really take its toll, no matter is accelerating, turning or stopping...

The ideal situation would be an S4 as a daily driver and an EVO as the weekend warrior.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
That weight is definitely an issue with the S4. Besides, your friend is falling for the brand name game. A car is just a shell with an engine. With a few bolt ons the Evo should be on par or better than chipped S4's. But it all depends on what they sent us, now doesn't it?

e in la
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:00 AM

Thats tru it seems like every one goes for the brand name of the car. I mean when i put my deposit on the new Lancer Evolution 8 every one was like for that money you can definately get a different car a better name car. No matter how much I explained to them how the Mitsubishi Name is ruined in America due to the fact that they throw crappy american car parts in them. Every one just has grown such a negative Connotation of the car company. I can't wait till i get my Evo 8 So i can show every one the true power of Mitsubishi's world high class all around performance car.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 02:34 AM
Evolved Member

Both cars are SWEET. However on the track, both in stock form, the EVO ownz. As Far as upgradeability, the skys the limit and both make great platforms to race from. ( parts for the EVO may be a little cheaper due to the quality of the GERMAN aftermarket.)
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Euro spec Evo would destroy an S4

Check this link out

from the audiworld forums

Also I just do not buy this mythic build quality advantage that Audis and other German cars have.

Erik

Last edited by erikgj; Sep 6, 2002 at 11:36 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:15 PM
Account Disabled

erik long time no see here
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this site is a hard habit to kick.