Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is a stock Evo more car than most can handle?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a stock Evo more car than most can handle?

After owning my Evo for a month or so I find myself really agreeing with the minority on this board that say the first mod anyone should do is a driving/autocross class. I don't think I'm a bad driver, and I'm just getting comfortable driving my Evo-after being seriously intimidated from the start The Evo is clearly beyond my abilities. That said, I love the car...and don't think it's a waste even if I only drive it to work and back with the occasional long trip or winding-road drive.

The Evo is so powerful, such a weapon, that approaching its potential on public roads becomes dangerous-fast. I have so much respect for its capabilities...I'm sick of people wanting to race at every stoplight...still, it's nice to know people recognize the car

What I'm getting at is...does anyone feel satisfied with the stock Evo? I'm excited to drive the car every day! I feel like it has plenty of power-more than enough for what I need. I plan on perhaps getting a turbo back and reflash eventually...but even that seems like overkill. I understand I'm probably one of the very few here who thinks this way...but is there anyone else out there like me?

Maybe it's just my age (25)...most people around here seem younger. See what happens when you get old Thanks for listening and anyone's opinions/thoughts/comments!
Old May 2, 2004, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Let me ask this question- do you have a daily driver? I have a subaru outback as my DD and i think the contrast between the two is such that the Evo always seems insanely fast to me. I think that more than anything is the main factor in determining whether or not the car will remain fast to you.
Old May 2, 2004, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Are you asking if the HP is more than most can handle? Because you started talking about street racing. And you mentioned autox which is not even close to street racing.
If you're talking about the car having more handling capabilities than YOU can handle, then yes that is most likely true.
If your'e talking about drag racing well then anybody can slam gears.
Old May 2, 2004, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

drive it for another 3 month, u will get use to it. afterthat, u want more, hahahaha
Old May 2, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies!

I don't have a daily driver...so maybe I'll eventually be spoiled by driving the Evo on a daily basis.

I guess I'm talking about the Evo as a complete package-going fast and handling as well. Good point about anyone being able to stand on a gas pedal...handling is where the Evo really stands out. I guess the "nervous" behavior of the Evo is what really never lets me forget how much car I/we have Still, I never find myself wishing for more power either. I "chipped" my old Golf 1.8T with a turbo back and thought that transformation was amazing...I can't imagine an Evo going through something similar-for me at this point it would be unnecessary. What I love most is the handling-I'll gladly pay $212/piece for Advans.

I guess I just sometimes wonder why people are so quick to do mods when the stock car is most likely already more than they can handle. I want to do an autocross or take a driving/racing school...I think that would make me appreciate the car much more than adding parts right now. Anyone agree? Anyone satisfied with their stock Evo?
Old May 2, 2004, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

i was satisfied when i first got it but eventually got the hang of it right away.you just gotta know your limits whenever youre driving around and youll eventually would want to mod it after you get the hang of it.
Old May 2, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Everyone is different. I have done some mods to my Evo and it feels slow to me, but when I give people rides, everytime they get out with a big grin.

Now I know its fast and it has a lot of HP, but its just something I get used to, and I want it to be faster, not sure why though.
Every time I do a mod, im like whoa its faster , then about a month of driving it, I think man it feels slow......

If you do any mods to your car, you will open up the beast of the engine. Try doing a simple intake, then that way you'll be able to actually hear your BOV. Start small. Then when it comes time for your exhaust, etc.. you'll be ready..... (but maybe your just not into that )

Those stock advans are NOT all season tires, so be carefull in adverse weather, you live in Wisconsin, so .... don't you get a lot of snow and stuff?
Old May 2, 2004, 09:24 AM

A driving school definitely helps. You'll learn to take proper apexes and shave seconds off your lap times. When you learn the apexes you'll then find you have some room to play with to explore the boundaries of the car in understeer, the transition to neutrality, then to oversteer, and even holding a drift while hitting the apex. Since you have it as a daily driver, I figure you'd treat it with respect while playing in order to keep it running for dd duty. Give the car respect, and it comes right back at ya. Have fun! and I'm sorta satisified with the Evo stock, too much body roll for my taste.
Old May 2, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

From a stock standpoint, I hate how the power drops off on the top end due to running pig rich from the factory. Just a fuel computer can save you on gas, make your cat last longer, and give you more punch on the top end.

The handling is beyond compare for any stock car I've driven - I see no reason to mess with it either. It'll do everything I'm capable of, and several things I'm not

mayhem - drag racing is a skill; more than just "banging gears." Tell that to the guys running in the 7's pushing 1000hp.

Overall, the Evo is a killer deal for under $30k. Try not to forget that, and you'll always be happy with what you've got.
Old May 2, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there is always not enough power...
Old May 2, 2004, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Tweak, got this message when I went to go look at your pic or :

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /data/500/16135banner.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Old May 2, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that the Evo is alot of car, but the way it controls the power makes it very easy to live with. The steering, brakes, and awd really give you confidence even if you are not the greatest driver. It does everything well and that is why we all bought one. I feel that the Evo is easy to drive, but I have also driven in 700hp supras and civics with power to weigh ratios that rival street bikes. Over time the evo seems to become an extension of you, and makes driving effortless
Old May 2, 2004, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Everyone is different and wants different things from their Evo...for me and for now it's plenty fast and capable. I suppose I eventually will get used to it...I can still remember thinking I'd never want a faster car than my Golf

The Evo, with all it's capabilities is easy to control...I guess it's that which I need to get better at. Like I said before, I'm not a bad driver...but public roads aren't where the Evo's potential should be explored. I have had one experience at an autocross and I remember how slow daily driving seemed after that. I think a day at an autocross with my Evo would help me get to know the car much more. Can anyone recommend one near Madison, WI? I don't quite know how these things work...do you just show up and go? How often/where are they?

Thanks again!
Old May 2, 2004, 11:47 AM

Lithe, check www.pca.org then look for the Porsche club in your area, surprisingly, or at least in the War Bonnet in Oklahoma, we have makes of all kinds come and play. Its 10 bucks for members, 20 for non, we get in 8 runs. Helmets are mandatory. those are come and play type.
They are really a blast when a lot of people are running, you can really see what the EVO's like if its on a small road course autocross setup. just my .02
Old May 2, 2004, 12:25 PM

Definitely this car has more than enough potential in stock form. I'm racing in SK1 (stock) in AutoX and I'm beating Z06 Corvettes at all the races. This car can do more than most people can handle. I've been AutoXing for 4 years and I always manage to find something more to improve on as a driver.

Drivers school is the best mod you can make. Take it out to an AutoX or 10 and have some fun, learn the car and you'll realize that before horsepower, handling, etc.... improving the driver is the best way to get quicker.

Quick Reply: Is a stock Evo more car than most can handle?