Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the Evo a good "driver's" car?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2004, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 2-dr SE-R which I loved, but after having a son it became a real pain loading him in and out. After putting up with it for a year I decided I needed to get a 4 door and started looking into what I might want to get. Looked and drove a number of cars and when I looked at the Evo I decided it fit my needs and after driving it I had to have one. My son loves the Evo and my wife likes the power but not the "bouncy" ride.
Old May 3, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

Originally Posted by siberian
Should I buy an Evo?

..., I'd head AWAY from traffic, find myself a twisty, empty, country road, and just enjoy DRIVING. Not necessarily extremely fast, but just enough to enjoy the dynamics of the car: the engine sounds climbing through revs, the way it loads and unloads weight transfers, trying to get every heel-and-toe downshift just right, find every apex, etc., etc. God help me, but I've always been in love with the overall feeling, the sensations when you get everything just right... and it all starts to flow into a smooth, continuous action.

Now, having said that, do any of you feel this way too - and would you recommend the Evo for it? Or is it TOO much car, too frantic, too insane to carve up roads with?

I almost fear that the acceleration is SO quick, you almost don't get time to enjoy it, lol.

I've gone a couple test drives now. Yes, it's VERY impressive... I can't stop smiling and breaking into spontaneous laughter for days afterwards. But after the giggle factor wears off, and the novelty of AWD acceleration fades... do you find yourself thinking it's just TOO much car on a daily basis? Do you ever find yourself looking at that hideous instrument cluster and wishing for something more "classy"?

Or do you just downshift and get it above 3,000 rpm every time you start to doubt your choice?

And does anyone know for sure if the new 10/100,000 warranty covers the Evo? The dealership told me no, but others have said yes, but only 2004 models. What gives?

P.S. This would be my daily driver.

Siberian,

To answer your questions and concerns:
1. Should you buy an Evo? YES

2. Is it a driver's car? YES, it's the best driver's car I've ever driven. Like yourself, I enjoy this car much better on a nice lonesome, twisty road ... although carving up traffic on interstates is hella fun too. Drag racing ... this car is not meant to be that, and anyone that drag races this car is missing the point IMNSHO.

3. Too much car, etc? Not really. It may take a little while to get used to ... I've had mine for a month now and am only now starting to comfortably get to the point where I can push the envelope of what the Evo can do. However, the Evo is a car that demands the driver's attention ... so no reaching for that coffee or probing of nasal passages while driving fast. Heck, even reaching for the stereo can be hazardous, when you're navigating on ramps at 85+, hehe.

4. Hideous instrument cluster replacement: search forums for CombatCQB ... he's putting together an excellent replacement.

5. Do you ever find you feel like you're constantly working to keep a rein on it? Sigh... you just nailed it on the head. THAT is a daily battle. There are a lot of instances where I take a corner at what I thought was a good speed, but it's like the car is laughing at me and after I exit the corner I realize that I could have done that a LOT faster. IMO this car requires a lot of self-control to drive on public roads... or really good traffic-court lawyers

6. 10/100,000 warranty - according to my dealer the 10/100,000 is for all 2004 mitsus. However, that was easy for them to say, since all they had were 2003 Evos. FWIW, in my opinion, if you're going to buy this car, then ask yourself if you would still buy it if it came with NO warranty. Personally I don't really expect to get much of anything out of Mitsu's warranty and would think twice ... hard before I'd let a mitsubishi dealer tech work on it. I already know I'm going to mod the car and I do so with the understanding that I will most likely void any kind of warranty that I had to begin with. But that's ok with me. I bought the car with the understanding that it's going to cost $$$ to maintain. Being able to get what amounts to 'super car' performance at $30K easily offsets the maintenance costs for me. I looked up the maintenance schedule and costs of an Audi RS6 last year .. it's f***ing astronomical, not to mention that I can buy 3 Evo's for the price of one RS6.

Hope that answers some of your concerns. The only other thing I can say is that having gotten an Evo about a month ago, I am kicking myself for not having gotten one sooner.

Last edited by Ludikraut; May 3, 2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old May 3, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My only fear is that the Evo is overkill for public roads... too fast, too much grip to ever explore it's abilities. I fear it might make actually make daily driving BORING, simply because 55mph would be sooooo far beneath it's limits.

I mean, do you ever find you feel like you're constantly working to keep a rein on it, to keep it under control, without ever really getting to enjoy it's potential?
Well, that's pretty much the big downside. Some cars (the Porsche 996 C4S and E46 M3 come to mind) feel just as good tooling around town at 2500 rpm as they do pusing their rev limiters. The Evo is not one of those cars! It feels pretty unexciting until it's up on boost...so it takes a lot of self control to keep from ripping it up every chance you get.

But once the road opens up or you get out on the track, there's not another car I'd rather be driving. I was at a track event just this past Saturday. I lapped 996 C4's and Audi S4's in just about every session (20 min). I was passed only a single time the whole day (approx 160 min of tracktime) and that was by a Porsche GT3 driven by one of the cheif instructors of the local PCA chapter. This car can really handle!

Emre
Old May 3, 2004, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

i love this car more every time i drive it. slow or fast, traffic or no traffic, highway or twisties. the sounds are amazing. the notchy shifting, the clunking of the trans when you get it in gear, hahaha. get yourself a cone filter and you hear stock BOV, air coming, and turbo spooling. amazing machine. i throw this car through turns like a MF, take on ramps and off ramps at triple digits and the car seems to say come on ***** you can do better than that!!!!
Old May 3, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

I think enough's been said, but:

For me, a "Driver's Car" means a car that is truly an extension of the driver. No other car I've driven gives so much feedback and allows the driver to immediately respond to that feedback. I'd also say that the lack of huge low end power is an advantage for me in traffic. If you're inching forward in bumper to bumper, you don't have that huge surge every time you touch the throttle. It's a much more controllable power. But then if you need to pass, downshift and you're gone. As far as on the lonely twisties, there are few cars better equipped to run. You almost feel like you're obligated to take winding exits at 60mph.
Old May 3, 2004, 11:25 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I consider the evo as the best street/track car. But if your looking for a drivers car i'd look into an elise. That probably will be the best handling car in the US
Old May 3, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

I disagree with hating to drive this in traffic. I look forward to my commute every day. No twisties or good stoplight launches there, but just that little quick blip on the throttle to get in front of a bus, or to get over from someone turning left. That puts a smile on my face every time (and I"ve only had mine five days now).

I've actually found that I drive less aggressively with the EVO than I did with my Tiburon. With the Tib it was a closet inferiority complex and I seemed to want to out pace everything. With the EVO, I already know I can best just about anything sub 50k, so why get a ticket or accident proving it. I just get a smug look on face, find the next haripin, and then grin for a few hours.
I agree with alot of the posters on here, but I enjoy everything about this car. It is definitely a drivers car in the purest form. By the way, I'm 18 and I haven't drag raced on the street or on the track nor have I done any road racing, but I enjoy the car everyday.
Old May 3, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

My Evo is my daily driver. I have used it for tasks from weekend trips, to trips to the grocery store. The other weekend I used it to help move, stuffed it with small funiture, cloths, electronics, and everything else I could fit into it. There are times that I do not think about the beast that the car is, because it is easier to use around town than my 99 Civic Si and my 2002 RSX. The car is just perfect for cuising around. There are times that I will drive the Evo through tight areas, such as parking lots, side walks, under fountains and walking areas (did not notice I did it until it was too late). It is amazing how easy the Evo makes things. It feels like a very small car it times. On the flip side my Evo, even though the engine is almost stock, has Tien H-Tech Springs (for now, front struts are going), and all the Cusco bars. So it is fun in the mountains.
Old May 3, 2004, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

My only fear is that the Evo is overkill for public roads... too fast, too much grip to ever explore it's abilities. I fear it might make actually make daily driving BORING, simply because 55mph would be sooooo far beneath it's limits.
I had the same exact questions about the Evo before I purchased one last December. I had nearly convinced myself that a better and more rational choice would be a Mazda RX-8 and came this close (holds fingers a millimeter apart) to buying one. But I just couldn't do it, despite all the rave reviews for the rotary wonder. Now, five months later, I couldn't be happier with my decision and everytime I look at an RX-8 I just smile and say how thankful I am that I didn't go with one of them. I mean, it's a nice car, but the Evo -- for me -- is so much superior in the things that I value.

I bought the Evo because of its reputation as a pure driving car. I'm not interested in stoplight drag racing. I'm not interested in the Fast and Furious scene. I replaced my tail lights with JDM units and even removed the Carbon Fiber wing, all to avoid unwanted attention. I know what I drive: I don't have to advertise it. The car delights me every time I get into it and I smile every time I get out and stop to look at it as I'm walking away at the end of the trip.

The Evo is best described as a barely broken thoroughbred horse: fleet of foot, more than a little rough around the edges, beautiful to look at, and entertaining as all get out. The exhiliaration in driving it comes from all the little things that are hard to define but add up to more than the sum of the parts: the grip of the tires, the telepathic steering, the Recaro seats, the great driving postion and outward visibility, the instant throttle response, the awe-inspiring braking. All of these define the Evo, and all of these make up for a very satisfying driving experience for those that appreciate it. Note that not everyone would agree. For some, floating on a cloud of air surrounded by rich Corinthian leather is the way to go. For others, a stiffly suspended and turbocharged all-wheel drive sedan is the answer. The Evo isn't for everybody, but I submit that for people that realy care about the driving experience -- I mean, really care -- the Evo is one of a just a handful of cars that deliver the goods.

Lee K
Old May 3, 2004, 01:26 PM

I too had the same question, and it is now answered thanks to all of your help guys. Enjoy!
Old May 3, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lee_K
The Evo isn't for everybody, but I submit that for people that realy care about the driving experience -- I mean, really care -- the Evo is one of a just a handful of cars that deliver the goods.
Some of these replies are just bringing tears to my eyes... wow.

I don't remember reading such passion about a new car since... well, when the NSX debuted.

Back then, I remember bumper stickers and buttons appearing, saying "God drives an NSX."

If that's true, it's only because satan took the Evo, lol...

It really is an EVIL little machine...
Old May 3, 2004, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Talking

...It really is an EVIL little machine...
Hahaha, yep. And that's why my license plate is: EVL EVO 8
Old May 3, 2004, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, when did everyone on the forum get unbiased, well spoken and intelligent? Did that come with the software upgrade?

Proud to say I know who Markko Martin is and I have never seen Fast and the Furious....
Old May 3, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lee_K
I had the same exact questions about the Evo before I purchased one last December. I had nearly convinced myself that a better and more rational .....
One of the best descriptions of the car I have heard. Can I quote you?
Old May 3, 2004, 08:57 PM

Check out any magazine and they'll tell you that it is one of the best driver's cars out there. EVO magazine from England said that the Evo is more of a hard edge purpose built driver's car than the Ferrari Enzo and Porsche GT3, the only cars it said were fit to test against it. Automobile and Sport Compact Car both named it Car of the Year.

Me - I traded my Boxster for the Evo because it was an amazing driver's car, pure and simple.

Quick Reply: Is the Evo a good "driver's" car?