Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wheel touch up paint found

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2004, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You gotta ask if how long the tire changing person has been using the machines too. Word of mouth is a great way to find out about reputable shops. I went to a shop to get new tires (cuz they had the best price on the tires) - they assured me they'd done alloys before, but when I picked up my rims, it looked like they had been thrown out of a truck! Man I was PO'ed especially since they were 99% flawless when I dropped 'em off! Would have taken some major filler and painting to get them fixed. Of course, there was "Nothing they could do", but now they're out of business
Old May 7, 2004, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the "theres nothing we can do" line as well, which is why I did it myself.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really old thread, but... I did a repair recently to my now-10-year-old stock Enkei (EVO VIII) rims with the YD8 paint, and here's what I found:

- You shouldn't waste your money on the touch-up pen, instead get the aerosol can. It's expensive, but the pen won't help you in the long run.

- The color doesn't match. It's the same level of metal flake, and looks like a match, but it's lighter when painted side-by-side with the stock paint. Perhaps the color matched better when the rim was new, but don't expect to be able to repair just a small section of the rim.

- I used Bondo spot putty for the repair. Works great, as it allows you to just mix up a small amount at a time. (The stuff starts to harden in about 2 minutes, so you don't want to mix up a lot at a time.)

- Since the color didn't match, I ended up painting the whole front edge of the lip. Steps:

1. Sand the whole front edge of the lip with 400 grit wet sandpaper. It is clear coated, unlike what some others have said.

2. Patch the bad area, sand with 600 or less grit to make the bad area smooth. If your finger can feel a transition between the old and new areas, you'll see it after the repair.

3. Mask off the tire and the horizontal edge of the lip with painters tape. You'll be working with the front edge of the lip, so you mask off the horizontal edge.

4. Primer front edge of lip (3 coats).

5. Paint front edge of lip with the spray YD8 (2-3 coats).

6. Remove masking tape from the horizontal edge of the lip. There'll be a "corner" of paint and primer; sand that down with 1000 grit to make it round.

7. Spray the clear/enamel on the new area (3 coats) while slightly overspraying onto the rest of the wheel.

When it's all done, it looks pretty good, since your eye won't notice the slight color change between the front edge of the lip and the horizontal part of the lip.

- Some have wondered whether a tire change will mess up the repair. I'm not seeing how that'll happen. The front edge of the lip doesn't get touched by the tire machine, otherwise, every time you got new tires the lip would be destroyed and have to be repaired. If you're repairing the part of the lip that touches the tire, then yea, that won't hold up, but the front edge of the lip is what gets messed up by curb rash.

One man's experience...

Tom