Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wheel touch up paint found

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2004, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel touch up paint found

I finally found a perfect match for the stock wheels.

I first tried the computerized paint matching system at a local Dupont color mixer, they mixed a color that was shaded perfectly however did not contain the right amount or size of metal flake.

I then started thinking, and decided to compare, the silver touch up paint for my motorcycle. What are the odds but the match was perfect.

the first pic should be a before pic of the horrendous gouges put in my rims when I had my winter tires mounted.

Then the second 2 show the finished wheels. I only repainted the lip and feathered the color and clear in on the ½ inch or so flat section around the perimeter of the wheel.

The paint used was :

Suzuki metallic sonic silver, Suzuki color code YD8 color-rite color code 4915.

I used color-rites urethane touch up paint which I had laying around, and sprayed it with a hobby airbrush.

And remember when changing tires make sure you insist on a touchless tire changing machine, and stick on weights.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel touch up paint found-before.jpg   Wheel touch up paint found-after-1.jpg   Wheel touch up paint found-after-2.jpg  
Old May 3, 2004, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

How deep were those scratches? They didn't look to bad, I have a curb scrape on one of my wheels that chunked some of the wheel metal down a little that I would love to see repaired like this
Old May 3, 2004, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

awesome!...thanks for testing/finding it!
Old May 3, 2004, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

man those after pictures look flawless from what i can tell, good job, and thanks for the info!!
Old May 3, 2004, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Great find!!!!!
Old May 3, 2004, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the compliments.

Ev8sive the majority of the scratches were through the paint without too much damage to the wheel underneath. I did have a curb scrape which I fixed at the same time using a file to smooth out the major scrapes, and was ready to fill the area with spot putty but didn't feel putty was necessary. If you do try to fix it, have some putty ready, and make sure you use a primer that bonds well with aluminum.

There are a few places where you can see ripples in the paint along the outer lip that were caused by removed aluminum, the second pic above has these ripples in it, but you wont be able to see them with the tire mounted, so I didn't go crazy trying to smooth them out perfect.

Again thanks for the thumbs up
Old May 3, 2004, 10:10 PM

The thing that amazed me most was the random paint I had laying around literally matched my wheels better than the motorcycle it was intended for.
Old May 4, 2004, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

mis4tune81...where did you purchase the touch-up paint? I only found color-rite itself...they seem to be the only place to buy moto touch-up paint...i'm interested in purchasing a spray can...

thanks again!
Old May 4, 2004, 12:39 PM

I mail ordered the paint from color-rite.

I am not sure if they have it available in a spray can, but I know they have bottles with brushes, and felt tip paint pens. You will also need to clear coat over their silver.

If you want to find the paint locally you might have luck at a Suzuki dealership with the Suzuki YD8 paint code, its the silver on a 2000 blue and silver Hayabusa.
Old May 4, 2004, 12:44 PM

Also if your going to do some work on these wheels, watch out, the factory finish is very thin, and not clear coated.

I actually sanded through in a few areas with 1000 grit sandpaper.

If I had time I would have considering a full cleanup, and clearcoat.

But I wanted to get back on the road

L8r
Old May 4, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

awesome... thanks again!
Old May 4, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

thought i would pass on more info for everyone else curious...i found a spray can application at : http://www.flandersco.com ...they seem to be a color-rite distr. Just enter in 4915 for the paint code as mis4tun81 generously provided...
Old May 4, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good find, this deserves appluase .
Old May 5, 2004, 02:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Where do they do touchless tire changers? Every place I know uses the wheel carving method with rubber pads, but even that still scratches up the wheels.
Old May 5, 2004, 05:34 AM

I went to a local hot rod / domestic performance parts store, i didnt see the machine but asked if they could change tires without scratching the rims, and they had no hesitation in saying yes, and were able to do so.

a guy that used to work at pep-boys told me about the touchless systems.

I think tirerack has a list of approved tire change facilities on their website, but ask first before you let them do the work.

Quick Reply: Wheel touch up paint found