Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roof Rack

Hey guys...just yesterday i passe d a white evolution with a roof rack holding a surfboard....waht i was wondering was do you have any idea where you can buy a rack for the evo or have pic of racks on evos. thanks
Old May 4, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yakima makes a rack that fits, I have been thinking about getting one myself. I just sold my old Yakima from my SE-R and I have one on my wifes Jetta. They are great and you can get mounts that carry just about anything. Try this site for more info: http://www.yakima.com/home.html
Old May 4, 2004, 11:08 AM

I've used Yakima stuff (bike and snowboard mounts) on various vehicles and never had any complaints. It is a great system. Try www.ageebike.com for a good deal.
Old May 4, 2004, 06:52 PM

I have a roof rack on my evo,Yakima is the best choice for Evo,ill send a pix to you later..
Old May 4, 2004, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

why wouldn't u guys go w/ thule? the thing is i had thule on my teg and i have the snowboard racks...fairing....and bars so all i'll need is the peices to attach to the car......anyone have Thule?
Old May 4, 2004, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Just did price check both thile and yakima web sites Thule came out to 241 buxs and yakima came out to 317 bux i think i'm ganna go w/ thule....
Old May 5, 2004, 05:59 AM

Do any of these racks fit onto the black roof gutters ? It appears that there are mounting attatchments for a specific fit instead of using the universal window side mounts.
Old May 5, 2004, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Please post some pics of a roof rack on an EVO. Thank you!
Old May 5, 2004, 07:16 AM

FYI: My local Thule dealer showed me a fit kit specific dor the EVO that mounts to the roof rails but said it's only available in Europe.
Old May 5, 2004, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Both Thule and Yakima racks you have to buy clips that hook to the rack and are designed for your car. This makes the rack universal with just a change of clips for different cars. Thule racks are nice, I just prefer the yakima products. Look around ebay or some bike websites for good deals on used racks, you save 50%.
Old May 5, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

I always felt the yakima racks were a little more durable than the Thule ones.
Not that Thule makes a bad product, but most hardcore mtn bike riders I see with multiple 40lb bikes go with yakima.
I have one on mine and its been great so far. It does not clamp to the rain gutters at all, (I wouldn't want it too!) I have seen regular lancers on the road with thule racks which did clamp to the rain gutters. With our stiff suspensions, you definitely want it to clip inside the window door.

My best advice is...make sure your the rack is securely put on the the first time, with no slack or play whatsoever! Or else it could nudge a bit over time. Even an inch or 2 is enough to cause scuff marks. (I had to learn the hardway)

A buddy of mine recently had over 250lbs of ply wood on his Saab with a yakima rack and he still got home OK.
They only rate these racks for 100lbs or so, just like thule.

I bought my setup from www.rackwarehouse.com

from time to time, they have some great deals going on.

my 2 cents..

-Rob
Old May 5, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Not the best picture but you can get an idea of how a yak rack looks on an evo. I'd take newer pics but I took the rack off for summer.

Old May 5, 2004, 08:32 AM

www.thule.co.uk Thule makes an EVO specific rack. It's available overseas, they haven't figured out that it's for sale here. I called Thule, they told me my car doesn't exist. Funny, the payments sure seem real.
Anyway, I disagree that the window mounts are better or stronger. They mar the finish and compromise the door seals. A car specific gutter mount is far superior, which is why they make one and why Mitsu put the attatchments there. I've had a Thule on my Galant VR4 that mounts specifically to the gutter attatchment and it's carried a LOT of stuff for 284,000 miles so far. The rails even stayed attatched when I backed into the garage with four bikes on the car. Ouch. Hey, I never said I was real smart.
Old May 5, 2004, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highmileage
www.thule.co.uk Thule makes an EVO specific rack. It's available overseas, they haven't figured out that it's for sale here. I called Thule, they told me my car doesn't exist. Funny, the payments sure seem real.
Anyway, I disagree that the window mounts are better or stronger. They mar the finish and compromise the door seals. A car specific gutter mount is far superior, which is why they make one and why Mitsu put the attatchments there. I've had a Thule on my Galant VR4 that mounts specifically to the gutter attatchment and it's carried a LOT of stuff for 284,000 miles so far. The rails even stayed attatched when I backed into the garage with four bikes on the car. Ouch. Hey, I never said I was real smart.

I want that kit prbly looks cleaner and won't mess the car up...the car doesn't exist ??? haha wat an idot

Last edited by EVOKing8; May 5, 2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old May 5, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Theres much more depth for a clamp to grab on to underneath the window sill. The roof gutter only offers at the very most maybe an inch of depth. Plus I would think the sill would have to be one of the stronger areas of the roof.

I still the prefer the sill clamp style personally. I havent had any issues with the seal either. I did think about it at first. But there haven't been any leaks nor have I noticed any funny noises at highway speeds.
But to each his own, I never said the thule rack wasnt a good one. In my area I see more road bikers carrying Thule racks than I see mtn'ers.

Scuff marks however are easier to see on the sills. I would tend to agree there.
In the grand scheme of things, their both similarly priced and both do the job very well. I wouldn't trust any other make.

-Rob

Quick Reply: Roof Rack