Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

replacing the windshield...

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2004, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing the windshield...

So my windshield is cracked, and spreading at rapid speeds. I set everything up through my insurance company and what-not, got 100% coverage -- great!

So I call the glass shop recommended to me by my service manager (wrong step #1). Setup an appointment, they are getting me PPG (aftermarket) glass. I told them I wanted an OEM windshield and they said it's just like OEM, etc. etc. OK I took their word for it, and they showed up today to replace it (on-site at my work).

Glass looks great, even has the same halftone ceramic pattern around the edges. These guys are nice, but they aren't taking very good care at prying things off the car, etc. So I just went inside at work, not wanting to watch the carnage. I came back out and wouldn't you know, the rear view mirror bracket is different! They ordered a Lancer windshield, NOT the Evo windshield... christ almighty.

So now I have my car with the cracked windshield still and NO upper windshield molding because it's glued into place and they couldn't put it back on. Maybe they shoulda checked the mirror bracket first...

So through 10,000 more hoops I got the glass place to get in touch with the dealership and order a real god damn windshield. The problem with these small time places is that they have their own distributors and such and they don't want to use anyone else... which is just annoying as hell.

So now I wait, it's going to be another 5-10 days before it gets fixed.

Lessons learned: don't use a hackney'd glass repair shop, and if you can just set it all up through the dealership. My dealership apparently doesn't do direct glass replacements, they only refer you to other replacement companies. Also note that even if you tell said glass shop to get an Evo windshield, you need to follow-up to make sure they know there's a different mirror bracket and that THEY need to SPECIFICALLY order that glass, not the Lancer glass.

Uhg.
Old May 5, 2004, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by Kryptonite; Jul 8, 2004 at 08:53 AM.
Old May 5, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

No problem. I hope I can save a few others from having to deal with the crap I've had to deal with. grr
Old May 5, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Damn, sorry to hear about all the troubles.

Other than the mirror bracket, is it the same windshield (weight, structure, etc.) for an EVO and Lancer? I thought the EVO side windows were lighter in weight, but I wasn't sure if it applied to the windshield also.
Old May 5, 2004, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

It's the same windshield itself, yeah just a different bracket.

I also just called to confirm that the glass from Mitsu comes with the mirror bracket already attached, so you don't have to worry about getting that as an additional item should you need to orchestrate my described communications monstrosity as I have.

Here's a thread about the windshield:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=windshield
Old May 5, 2004, 01:02 PM

Dude! I ran into the samething!
stupid shop replaced mine also, samething different bracket, but they said mine was a subaru bracket... so i dont know why they put a "subaru winshield" on my car.

but they gave me the car with no rear view mirror and said "everything is good!".
NO MIRROR!!! what the heck, did they think iwouldnt notice?

so then to make things better, they said they'd replace the bracket. so the guy is using a hammer and chizzel on my windshield. and what'dya know, there is tons of scratches all over the bracket area behind the mirror.

i'm so mad!!!
Old May 5, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Dude you need to have them replace it with a real windshield. Your insurance company (if you used them) will help you with this. I also recommend you use a different company to do the fix, you don't want to F around with those idiots. Good lord.

It's amazing too, I am the first for everything with this car... the first evo at the dealership to have any problems, the first evo to get a windshield installed by this company... first evo to register it with my insurance agent... it makes for a tougher time since no one knows what the hell is going on.
Old May 5, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

yes thank u for the info!
Old May 5, 2004, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
sorry to hear about that put please use the search button. I had a post on thise a few months back i believe december or jan.
Old May 5, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo11V
sorry to hear about that put please use the search button. I had a post on thise a few months back i believe december or jan.
WTH are you talking about?
Old May 5, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
I had a post about a cracked windsheid and replaceing it info. Never mind since your insurence company covers it anyway. Forgot about you New Yorkers Windshield Insurence. Wish we had that in Jersey.

Old May 5, 2004, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

did you get the windshield replaced yet?

i got mine done two weeks ago through the dealer and got the real glass from Japan.

I also asked them to replace all the trim around the windshield with new trim and moulding

it looks good

the aftermarket glass is thinner and it's crap.. plus it lowers your resale because it's not real glass (real = mitsubishi)

-joe