Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Common problems on the evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Problems with the Evo.dont get addicted to driving it. i treated better then my girlfriend. lol
Old May 6, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

losing ur license
Old May 6, 2004, 07:10 PM

My EVO rocks. No problems.
Old May 6, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Just my ex. Blown clutch at 9K Blown transfer case at 11K frozen starer, ( very rare) at 11.5. Had hks evc 5, ur turbo back, greddy emanage untuned, nx wet shot 50 pill unjetted, the only reason I mentioned that is because alot of haters on here will say nitrous will kill your motor. For the record it was never used, just set up and never jetted. I did also have an act street clutch in th car before the tc blew, if you want to dra conclusions. Hope this helps.. PS. I'm not an inexperianced driver, and if you care enough to heAR ABOUT MY PRIOR HIGHLY TUNED RIDES THAT DIDN'T PROVE TO BE NEARLY AS MUCH OF A HEADACHE AS THE EVO 8 DID drop me a line.
Old May 6, 2004, 07:36 PM
Vmo

10,500 miles since aug. '03. No probs whatsoever. I don't race it but I've never driven anything that was even close to this car in terms of fun. Unless the car was driven under 25 everywhere it went, the stock Advans will be gone in 10,000 miles. Even if the guy says he changes his own oil, there will be a record at the Mitsu dealership since (well I haven't) been able to find proper oil filters anywhere else. good luck
Old May 6, 2004, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Not to be discouraging...but I always find myself questioning the reason behind selling a car within the first few months of ownership. A prospective Evo buyer often knows much about the car and would expect certain qualities, both positive and negative. It seems unreasonable for someone to buy an Evo and immediately regret the purchase, unless something is wrong...

Frankly, I think a little more than $25k can get you into a new '03 Evo. My dealer (Rick Case Mitsubishi in Bedford, OH) still has three remaining Evos on their lot, and they are DESPERATE to deal. I paid sticker a year ago, and I am sure you can get a much better price now.

In any event, I am sure your decision will be wise and I wish you good luck with your purchase.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vmo
10,500 miles since aug. '03. No probs whatsoever. I don't race it but I've never driven anything that was even close to this car in terms of fun. Unless the car was driven under 25 everywhere it went, the stock Advans will be gone in 10,000 miles. Even if the guy says he changes his own oil, there will be a record at the Mitsu dealership since (well I haven't) been able to find proper oil filters anywhere else. good luck
Even if the guy changes his own oil, he has to prove, and then be confirmed by mitsu north that he is infact changing his oil at the proper intervals. This has been discussed previously, and in fact, people on this forum have been denied trans case warranty, because they didn't service there car at an official mktsu dealer. They've been forced to provide proof beyond a doubt, that the oil was changed, and you shouldn't even have to change th fluids in the tc unless it's seriously chewing metal mat 10k. it's stupid. They will do whatever they can to void your warranty, bottom line. The majority have good luck with there evo's, but god bless if you have serious problems like I have.
Old May 7, 2004, 09:08 AM

How well does this thing handle in adverse weather conditions?
Old May 7, 2004, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cyzummuzyc
How well does this thing handle in adverse weather conditions?
Depends on how adverse the weather is and your tires. Basically the stock Advans cannot handle snow. Seem to handle fairly well in the rain though ... however I haven't tested them in deep puddles yet (read: aquaplaning).
Old May 7, 2004, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

... don't run the Advans in the snow or ice, and you'll be fine..
Old May 7, 2004, 11:15 AM

I'd lose the Advans and put on all seasons.
Old May 7, 2004, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

The car if great in the snow/ice/rain IMO. BUT, like the others have said you gotta change the tires. I put Pirelli P-Zero Nero M + S's on for the winter and they worked great. I had to drive in 6+ inches of snow (somewhat wet, but not powder) at one point and the thing went right through it like my old Nissan Pathfinder.

It is AWD afterall.

You obviously have to use your head in bad conditions, but if properly equipped the car is up to northern winters. Don't forget to put the proper fluid in the intercooler sprayer reservoir if you live where temps drop below freezing. I don't remember if you stated where you live, for all I know you could live in Phoenix, AZ and are wondering how it does in a dust storm.
Old May 7, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

serious car mechanic problem; weak weak weak tranny. it has the same tranny as lancer OZ (wtf...)...however, Mitsu corrected the problem on February when they made the syncro rings thicker. So you shoulnd't really have problems with tranny unless you bought evos that was made before feb 04..
Old May 7, 2004, 10:28 PM

I mounted 6.5 in my evo by making wood mounts. Its really easy
Old May 7, 2004, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by moviemadness
check the seats for stains. haha
hahah right on

Quick Reply: Common problems on the evo?