Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wheel Spin? Any thoughts on this one?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2004, 08:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wheel Spin? Any thoughts on this one?

Ok.. this may sound odd, but I was doing a few "Tuning runs" the other day on a 65 degree night and was having difficulty.. the car felt Odd..

I did three runs, basically third gear datalog pulls, It felt odd.. only to discover my right front tire was spinning furiously and I wasn't getting decent traction (Fortunately there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the center diff as power still goes to the rear wheels, and they hook up, in the lower gears the car gets a bit loose) I'm thinking the weather is a bit too cold for the advans...

Any suggestions for tire pressure? The turbo hits hard on my car, doesn't spike, but obviously makes enough torque to spin the tire.

It was actually a bit scary because it felt like something was broken until I saw the tire smoke on the third run and smelled the rubber.

I saw another post that recommended slightly lower tire pressure in the rear tires. Ya think this could potentially do any damage to the center diff?

We REALLY need an LSD option thats affordable for our cars.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have this issue and have found no way to resolve it. i think al suggested use of some new tires. as he has this issue also
Old May 6, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

65 degrees? It's in the 30's here. Are my tires gonna freeze or crack ? Advans not made for cold weather?
Old May 6, 2004, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

You're fine. It got well in to the low teens here during the winter and I am still on the stock Advans. My car makes mad power but I have never experienced this issue.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Darn mitsu for not putting the limited slip front diff on the E8. I am seriously considering trading up to the MR. The only solutions to reduce spin in front would be to increase the friction coeficient (under the counter, all out racing rubber or wider tires), convert the front diff. to limited slip or reduce the mechanical advantage by going with a slightly larger diameter tire (neg effect on handling might not be worth it) in somthing like a Mich. sport pilot.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moviemadness
65 degrees? Advans not made for cold weather?
You are joking, right? The stock tires are a 'summer only' compound...as per the sticker on the drivers door when you take delivery of the car and as per the tire manual that was included with the car owners manual. They really aren't meant to be driven in cold weather at all. Sure, in the cold they'll stick enough to get you from point a to b. But as soon as you start doing anything enthusiastic, or you have to make an emergency maneuver, you will see how traction limited those tires are in temps below 50 or so degrees.

Malibu....are those still the original set of tires on your car? I know that after lots of heat cycling and lots of miles, the remaining tread on my oem tires became rock hard. It was becoming all too easy to get the tail loose around corners or to get the wheels spinning upon take off. Since picking up a new set of tires a few months ago, I no longer seem to have the problem.

SC~
Old May 6, 2004, 10:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
also check for any signs of separation in the tread, look close, had like 22,500 on my stockers and then one day out of nowhere the *** end came out from behind me while making a u turn under an over pass, scared the crap out of me, pulled over and saw that passenger side rear tire was completely flat.