Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RS up close pics

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2004, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, i am curious about this also... I bet the build date was at least several months ago.
Old May 6, 2004, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRE
What do you mean done? Are they available?
the Urban Jungle gives you back the essentials like AC, Radio, etc. i cant remember everything
Old May 6, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

I picked mine up earlier today, it came in yesterday. It actually come with AC, it included from the factory, it also came with oh sh*t handles. everything else was the way they said.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you bought an RS I'm sure you could take parts from a wrecked evo 8 such as the center console the wing, etc....and for a resonable price.

Bryan
Old May 6, 2004, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

i was thinking can a regular Evo be made into a Rs. Or you have to trade it in for One ?
Old May 6, 2004, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

The RS has no xenon's, no ABS, no radio, no wing...you can get it with or without AC, power windows, power locks. It does have a limited slip front diff instead of an open one. That is the reason why they got rid of the ABS. Frankly, for a street car, I think the ABS is a good enough reason just to buy the regular evo.
Old May 6, 2004, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

I also read in a motor trend or something a few months back that the lack of a rear wing makes the car much less stable at high speeds than the normal evo. I guess the wing does actually do something.
Old May 6, 2004, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

i like with the cf wing better, stock evo 8 or aftermarket cf wing,
without the wing, looks like the regular lancer on the street.
Old May 7, 2004, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Location: [6][5][0]san mateo, California..."rEpN dA YaY aReA!!"
thats why its a sleeper. people will thnk its a reg lancer.but yea honestly needs a spoiler
Old May 7, 2004, 12:20 AM

true, true but still kinda looks naked...the wing is not just for show you know.

winston
Old May 7, 2004, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Look, you can’t have a go at the RS for not having any of that stuff. It’s not supposed to. It’s supposed to be fully stripped out, with a custom interior installed (of manly carbon fibre) and a cage fitted. After that a set of fully adjustable remote dampers are fitted (usually Leda over here and usually very expensive). Then the ECU is replaced and the stock wheels junked in favour of some with gravel tyres on. And finally thrown around some of the best forest stages.

Alternatively purchased by a normal person that is at least semi sane and modified with all the usual stuff. The main advantage for road users of the RS is the drive train. It’s much better set up for tuning than the “normal” Evo. This is because, first, the front diff is an lsd and second because the rear diff is much stronger thanks to the lack of AYC. This means that the drive train can handle a bigger increase in torque. The exact amount is unsure, rally teams are blowing RS rear diffs ever weekend on the stages, but Norris Design’s 800bhp Evo is still on the stock RS rear diff!!!
Old May 7, 2004, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, when they said stripped-out, they meant stripped out.

Definitely a DIY'er car (that is, if you want to add your own interior, wing, engine mods, etc).

As for the wing, I gave a close look at the CF one on the regular evo. It is an upside down airfoil and the dimensions indicate a fairly good CL (obviously without wind tunnel tests or knowing the exact design, we can't know for sure). At 100 mph, you might be able to expect 100 lbs of downforce on the back end. Not a lot, but it may mean the difference between a neutral and oversteer at high speeds. Numbers are purely out of my as$, but I'm going on gut instinct from years of aerospace classes. For once, a car has a functional spoiler

ac
Old May 7, 2004, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

The car was produced the secong week of March. Hope that helps.

I am in the same Lancer Club as the guy who bought it, and work at the dealer he bought it from. The RS is a bit different than what was originally released in magazines. As of right now I could not order the car with the Urban Jungle Package. That may change but as of now the power windows and locks are not available. they all have AC. As of now, they only come one way. Stickering at just over 27,000.

These cars are certainly not intended to be an everyday driver. My buddy has a shop that he runs that makes stainless steel intercooler piping, intercoolers, etc. This car will be his company show car. Also, if someone intends to autocross... this is a great car.
Old May 10, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

I still have not seen a red one.
Old May 10, 2004, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Hoping someone gets good pics of the optional leather posted soon, I really want to see that too...