Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

need some advice

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need some advice

Last edited by hyeteck; Jan 25, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old May 7, 2004, 07:49 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking us what we'd do is kinda one sided because we all had the same choices you did and the majority of us went with the Evo . G35 and STi are both decent cars though. I drive my Evo 60 miles a day and love it to death. The only real reason I can see for getting the MR would be the colour (if it comes in that sexy *** grey) and the ACD & 6 speed (if the 6 makes it). You can buy better suspension for the stock Evo as well as better looking wheels, and can have more HP than the MR for around $500.
Old May 7, 2004, 07:53 PM

would you want to wait for the mr IF it even comes and would you mind payin for the mark up on it. theyre all good cars it just depends on what you really want. each has its pros and cons
Old May 7, 2004, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Old May 7, 2004, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

My humble suggestions:
-The G35 is definitely much slower than either Evo or STi. If you want speed, forget about it.
-The stock Evo is NOT always faster than the STi. Magazine reviews do not reflect real world comparison. Regarding straight-line acceleration, the Evo may be faster simply because of gearing advantages. It will not be able to keep up with an STi in the twisties.
-If you do plan to modify your car extensively, go with the Evo. If you just want minimal bolt-on parts, then choose STi.
Old May 7, 2004, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Old May 7, 2004, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

it's the exact opposite, the STi is faster in straight line but evo beats it in twisty road because of superior handling
Old May 7, 2004, 08:24 PM

2004 has leather options, standard sub and they got rid of the low profile wing
Old May 7, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Old May 8, 2004, 01:10 AM

ive been to some dealers after i bought mine and they saw me lookin at the evos. they said that i should take a look at some 04 models but they were really just some 03s. some people have seen them at dealers but i havent yet. pretty soon though it will only be 04s on the lot after they get rid of the 03s..wish i had more money id pick up a black one..
Old May 8, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Old May 8, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

If you are a serious driver, hell, even a casual one, the G35 you will end up hating. The suspension feels ok at first, but then it just gets on your **** after a while. The whole thing, especially the suspension, ends up feeling very cheap after a while. Looks great on paper, sucks after you have to live with it for a while....exactly the opposite of the Evo.

The Evo feels and looks cheap at first, but after living with it you appreciate the great engineering behind it...

Last edited by OnlineAlias; May 8, 2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old May 8, 2004, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Hehe...I won't dog the G35. I ran up against one at the strip this week with a Vortech blower and he was stomping the **** out of me everytime. Ran low 13's boosting about 7 psi.
Old May 8, 2004, 10:45 AM
choad

Regarding straight-line acceleration, the Evo may be faster simply because of gearing advantages. It will not be able to keep up with an STi in the twisties.
Um, Excuse me, Doctor?

Don't you mean the other way around??

Old May 8, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

my objective opinion:

Car Quality:

The Evo's quality is of a car in the standard lancer category. I don't mean it's a pile or anything, but there are rattles and clicks that come and go and it's somewhat noisy, rides rough, etc.

Mod the Evo in any noticeable way, and you can expect, at the very least, one hell of a battle to get a related part warrantied. Stick with mild mods (air cleaner) and stuff like stereo componenents if warranty coverage is important.

Can't comment on the STi as I've never ridden in one, but I hear they feel weighty and sloppy compared to an Evo. (??)

Can't comment on the G35, but I would expect this car's quality & refinement to poop all over the other two.

Performance/Overall:

If the G35 isn't too heavy and you like the car a lot, buy it, save mod $ during the warranty coverage, and then mod it in a few years. Of course, by then you'll probably want something else and that money could be used as a down payment. Tough call.

The Evo handles better than the STi (more predictable at the edge = more fun) but has the weaker engine.

No matter what, in life, you're always working to add power (STi or Evo) you might as well get the car that has the suspension dialed in the first place and only spend money in one department (adding horsepower).

This last paragraph was my reasoning for going with the Evo, and adding an air cleaner and a reflash (works P2) is mild and the reflash is (from what I hear at least) undetectable by the dealer. The rest of the car is stock and it's a blast to drive with the extra top-end power.

If you plan to get an Evo and leave it 100% stock, you're going to go crazy with the crappy powerband slope; It hits hard in the middle and falls off hard the higher you rev it. It's a very unsatisfying feeling when you're trying to have fun.

Last edited by Turbocake; May 8, 2004 at 11:09 AM.