Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Establish and nurture a good dealer relationship..

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 11:15 AM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Establish and nurture a good dealer relationship..

I may get some flack here, but oh well.

To explain:

I bought my EVO at a dealership 50 miles form home. I did so because they put my name on the FIRST one they had and did so at a respectable price.(March of 03 delivery) And without any brain damage or "needless markup" the other dealers were giving me.

I have brought my car there religiously (pit pass) for it's services. (one time I took it to another dealer and got good service as well but..) So on service day, I am driving almost 100 miles round trip for it's oil change so they can do it.

To make a long story short. I just picked up my car after having the recurring brake issues and they replaced my rotors under warranty a SECOND TIME.

(They replaced them once at 10k and again now at 20K..)

After having read all the horror stories about dealers this and "stealerships" that, I thought I would post my experiences with this "otherwise normal wear and tear" item and the willingness of my dealer to take care of me after the sale.

I strongly feel that my relationship and dedication to them as my selling and servicing dealer has allowed me some good treatment after the sale!

I have to admit, I was a little worried about the brakes being done and paid by Mitsu...the total was almost $500.00!!

So guys, BUILD A BOND with your chosen store..

They WILL take care of you!!

Old May 10, 2004, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

So guys, BUILD A BOND with your chosen store..

They WILL take care of you!!
Yep, I second that. I have a pretty good relationship going with the dealership I bought mine from, and I always double-check with them before I put in a mod. Just today they quoted me ~$150 to swap in a stainless steel clutch line that I bought online and they'll even take out the clutch restrictor pill. I figure if they do it, then they can't come back later talking smack about it voiding the warranty, and $150 beats me futzing around with the car on a weekend afternoon that is better spent driving it. I also bought the pit pass, although in my case they sold me an upgraded plan for the same price...

I think one of the big things that a prospective buyer needs to do is to talk to the service department at the dealership you are thinking of buying your car from. I got all of my concerns cleared right up front, since I told them exactly what I would be looking to mod and how that would affect my warranty from them.
Old May 10, 2004, 11:32 AM

I totally agree. There was a story here in the Philly area about a guy who had tranny issues with his Ford Probe just a few months after the warranty expired. The only time he brought the car to the dealer was for this, all of his routine maintanence was done at a quick lube place. The dealer would not cover the tranny problem, but said that if he had used them for all of his service, they may have been willing to at least cover some of the cost of the tranny work, even though it was after the warranty expired, because he was a loyal customer.
Old May 10, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

yea, this is very true. my 2002 RSX and my parents 2003 3.2TL-S are both from the same dealership, Heart Acura, which is 40+min away from our house. there is another Acura w/in 20min of us, but i take my car to Heart for all service. My parents TL-S' tranny had a leak and they replaced it at no cost (was probably under warranty), but we have a great relationship with our dealer Sal. last time i was there he let me take out a TSX 6MT while i was waiting for an oil change.

i hope the Mitsu in the area, or one relatively close will be as good. Yorktown Mitsu seems alright, one time i went and i didnt like the attitude of the salesmen, hes was like 25, but the other times there have been older guys, even the owner and they were cool. even said that they would honor the free oil changes if i provided the Mobile1. cant wait till i get an Evo.
Old May 10, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I always double-check with them before I put in a mod. Just today they quoted me ~$150 to swap in a stainless steel clutch line that I bought online.

which dealer is this?
Old May 10, 2004, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Hi jump23,

Bolingbrook, huh? That's my neck of the woods. PM me if you ever wanna hook up...

As far as the dealer goes, I went with O'Brien Mitsu in Normal, IL - it's close to where I work and they have been super nice from day one. I'll keep ya posted on what happens with the clutch line install...
Old May 10, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I had established a good relationship with the service rep here at Coconut Creek Mitsu in South Florida, and he had been treating me really well with the work needed on the car...then he moved to North Carolina! Now I dont know what to do.
Old May 11, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately it's hard to establish a good relationship with a dealership not so chock full of ready-and-willing workers. I do concur, however, that you have it good my friend. Envy.