Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo review from Miata driver

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2004, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo review from Miata driver

Hi, first off I have a 1994 black miata supercharged, roll bar some suspension work, setup mostly for autocross and occasional track day.

My friend just picked up a rally red EVO 2 days ago and I have to agree with every write up I have seen about the EVO the car is amazing. The first thing I noticed about the evo beside the massive brakes and serious acceleration was how short the hood and trunk area is but it fits the proportions of the car nicely with its bulged fenders giving the car that aggressive look my miata only wish it could have. Now onto the inside the seats offer great support and sure feel like they will hold you in during a race, I like the fact it has the harness slots on the seat already. The pedal placement is just right for the way I like to drive and my heel toe style, clutch is nice and easy to operate and the shifter doesn’t feel vague or too rubbery It’s a little bit longer than the throw in my miata but not by much. The interior is nice, maybe I am used to my miata with its cheap hard plastics but the evo is relatively nice inside close panel gaps and decent material inside make it a nice place to spend some time. The interior noise and stiff suspension does not bother me, another thing I am used to cause of my car. The evo is just plain quiet next to my mx-5 inside. Also one of my favorite parts of the car was the underside that awesome aluminum suspension pieces, another thing my car doesnt have.

Driving impressions the car felt really tight and well connected to the road and turn in was swift and I could feel the road through the pedals and steering wheel which was great compared to some cars I have driven (350z, rx-8). I am the kind of driver who likes to hear and feel what the car is doing I want to hear the engine and tranny and tire noise. Now on to my favorite part of the car the steering every car should come with this rack, nice small steering wheel offered plenty of grip for quick transition maneuvers such as fast slaloms. The only issue I found with the steering is it was a bit on the light side, but every car I have ever driven has always felt light but it is definitely on the top of my list for best steering response. Finally I have found a car with better steering feel than my car.

I don’t know what else to say about the car I really like it, you guys have a special car enjoy it. Should be an interesting summer with lots of auto-x and a few track days to see who is gonna be faster the EVO or little Miata? My guess I will win at auto-x and he will beat me soundly at the track we will see. O yeah don’t worry I wont even try to drag race the evo, we all know who is gonna win that one.

Just wanted to give you guys my impression of the evo

thanks

Ryan
Old May 12, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Nice write up, although I haven't gotten the chance to track my car I intend to at some point over the summer. Definitely a lot of respect is due to the Miata as a track/auto-x car especially with Supercharged set up as yours, even seen a few 5.0 swaps into those.
Old May 12, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

yep, very nice write up. I have seen a few supercharged miata's out at a few auto-x events, and they are usually very very fast. Just out of curiosity, do you have any pics of your car you could post?
Old May 12, 2004, 01:18 PM

I hope this works, Here are some pics I found from evolution race school, by the way that red porsche got me by 2 seconds hey what can you do he was running on hoosiers and I was on my falken street tires, but that car can flat out move.

Old May 12, 2004, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics look like in Ft. Deven (Ayer), MA. Here is a proper link for the album:
http://www.plaftaphoto.com/gallery/album55

Nice. I hope I will get a chance to do some runs this summer.

Last edited by chinalfr; May 12, 2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old May 12, 2004, 01:30 PM

I will give it another try here are the pics again with the link posted

A nice side shot
http://www.plaftaphoto.com/gallery/album55/IMG_8387

The very fast 993
http://www.plaftaphoto.com/gallery/album55/IMG_8388

Front shot
http://www.plaftaphoto.com/gallery/album55/IMG_8416

Roll bar shot
http://www.plaftaphoto.com/gallery/album55/IMG_8439

last shot
http://www.plaftaphoto.com/gallery/album55/IMG_8434
Old May 12, 2004, 01:59 PM

congrats on the Evo

not sure if is broken in yet...but if it is, how would you compare the acceleration to the supercharged Miata?
Old May 12, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is one sharp looking Miata! How much power do they make with a super charger setup like yours?

Keith
Old May 12, 2004, 03:36 PM

The supercharger is an eaton m45 unit pushing about 7 pounds of boost, cr is 8.5:1. I am guessing the car will dyno at 160-165 Hp and with a new pulley and acu maybe 172-178 hp at the wheels. So my car is not a straight line monster at all its good for maybe high 5's to 60 and somewhere in the 14's with the 7 pound pulley and with the smaller pulley shave off a few tenths. The car weighed in at 2100 pounds it has ac/powersteering, no power windows or locks. The evo should pull on it from any gear and most any speed. My top end power is alright I raced an S2000 from 80-105 or so and he got 2 car lengths he had an intake. I was pleased I could keep up at all.
Old May 12, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, i like your car also, very sharp... it sounds like you have a pretty good balanced setup. You think if you had had Hoosiers that day you could have been even with the porsche??
Old May 12, 2004, 06:14 PM

If I had hoosiers I think I could get really close to his times. It is a 993 twin turbo 408 hp and 0-60 in 3.7 seconds or so and its all wheel drive.
Old May 12, 2004, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up, it's good to hear about other drivers liking the car; it just makes me want to get even more .
Old May 13, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good unbiased writeup, I like it when people can appreciate different brands/styles because it is a good machine
Old May 13, 2004, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fury656
Nice write up, although I haven't gotten the chance to track my car I intend to at some point over the summer. Definitely a lot of respect is due to the Miata as a track/auto-x car especially with Supercharged set up as yours, even seen a few 5.0 swaps into those.
werd..i saw one NA with the 5.0 swap. thing was bad@$$