Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Planning on Purchasing an Evo

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my parents got me an evo 8 a few months back now ( 3 or so )... and before i got the evo i drove a 3000gt, jeep wrangler ( yeah i know :'( ) and then my dads G35 before we got the evo... i mena the evo is by far a HUGE difference than your standard 4 banger fwd.... i mean the evo... yet fast.. is still very safe.... and it will be even safer if you tel yoru parents that people reccomend driving schools... because you will learn how to PROPERLY drive yoru car... so i say go for the evo.. but take a driving school... i mean hey thats even more fun for you if you think about it.... just dont' show off with your friends how fast it is.. thats when you will cause problems ( trust me i know with my 3000gt ).... so go for it.. and have fun.... oh and for your coffin saying... any car can be your coffin.. it just might not be your day.
Old May 13, 2004, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check different companies on insurance rates, it probably won't be cheap. Also keep in mind that this is a very high maintainence car that will need premium gas, new tires every 15k, and full synthetic oil changes. This can get costly real fast and if you are the one forking out the money for this, can put you in the hole real fast. Trust me i have seen it several times with friends of mine who wanted the hottest car back in highschool, and then couldn't afford to go to college cuz they were working a full time job to support their car. I am only 22, finished college and have a job that allows me to afford this car no problem. Get something affordable, look into an SRT-4 even, but trust me hot cars will always be around.
Old May 13, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

This isn't about age, it's about capabilities of ther driver being greater than the car. I think many older folks don't have enough brains/skill to be behind the wheel of an Evo just as much as some young stupid kids.

Your best bet is to go with your parents to a high performance driving school in your area 2 or 3 times. If you are considering a $30k car as a daily transportation tool, you can afford $1000 to go see if your skills are up to what you think they maybe. and if not put you ikn your place without putting you in a grave.

With your parents or parent attending a *REAL* driving school, you and they will better understand how foolish/unskilled you or they or both or neither are. If your level headed and your instructors give a thumbs up to being able to handle something like an Evo, you have improved and your parents have and both should be much more comfortable.

Why do people go and get things thinking they are capable of operating them without any proper training and approval from properly trained skilled individuals.. This goes for guns, cars, and potatoes.

My son will have more driving training and experience by the time he is 15 than most people get all their lives.

For a quick less expensive check, go get Live For Speed ( liveforspeed.net ) and a Driving Force - Force Feedback Logitech Wheel and pedal set. When you can get the GTi around Blackwood GP under 1:40 consistently without going off course you might have gained enough insight into car control to consider an Evo. Then try the RB4 - pretty much an Evo.
Old May 13, 2004, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Talking mmhehehe, you said..

Originally Posted by Mister2zx3
...This goes for guns, cars, and potatoes....
...now that is funny.
Old May 18, 2004, 05:09 PM

Driving school is an EXCELLENT idea! Although, how much would it cost? What else may I need to know about driving school? Thanks in advance.
Old May 18, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Good idea.. driving school. I attended a one day program up in Connecticut with Skip Barber. DEFINITELY worth it. I mean, I never thought I would have fun driving a.. neon? check out skipbarber.com if you're interested. I'm going for the 3-day program sometime this summer. It may be a bit expensive, but it's worth it (a couple g's). You learn about everything from getting out of critical situations, heel-toe, rev matching, etc. etc. On, they also have cart racing and some of their programs let you learn in a viper, although I haven't experienced either of those yet.
Old May 18, 2004, 05:52 PM

Not to disappoint you, but at your age, don't be surprised if the insurance for an EVO is 4,000 a year.
Old May 18, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

A driving school is so critical, it is almost criminal to allow anyuone to have a drivers license without requiring passing one.

As for fun driving a neon, or any "slow" car for that matter, it really opens up your eyes to what a slow car is, what a safe car is, and what a car is that has very low capabilites, and how to keep the car well within those limits.