Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Planning on Purchasing an Evo

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2004, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning on Purchasing an Evo

Well first off I am new to these forums so, hi

I have been wanting an Evolution for quite some time now but I have heard that insurance can be quite high for an Evolution but I have also had just as many people if not more tell me insurance isn't that high because an evo uses a 4 cylinder engine and is four doors. My insurance company is State Farm and I am 17 years old (which in my opinion would be what raises the insurance) - how much would we be talking for insurance every 6 months (or just every year).

I have a few other questions

My parents like the evos and feel they are nice cars they just think an evo will be my 'coffin' (I will wrap it around a tree). What should I tell them? Where can I find some information on the cars safety?

How much can you usually get a dealer to take off of the evos original price tag? (i.e changing the price from $31,000 to $27,000 or so)?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 12, 2004, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Best thing to ring around for quotes. You'll get an idea then - every person is different depending on where you live etc.

Regarding what your parents think, they may very well have a point.
If you do a search here you'll see enough threads with pictures of wrecked evos to realise that many of those who are purchasing these cars obviously can't drive them.

The only thing that seems to be keeping Evo sales up, is insurance companies buying new ones to replace the wrecked ones.

I have no idea of your driving experience, but my feeling is that getting an Evo as a first car is insane.

I think you might be better off getting a more basic car, doing a few autocrosses and track days with all the money saved, until you are comfortable in your abilities and ready to handle something like this.

When these motors crash, it tends to resemble an airliner accident from what I've seen.

Then again, you could just get one a prove me wrong.....
Old May 12, 2004, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

1. my insurance is 180 a month with 4 points and 2 cars 1 being the Evo and im in NC(rates will vary state to state extreemly

2. The car does quite well saftey wise alot of totaled evos have the driver walking away alive maybe damaged but alive no less

3. This will depend on the dealer and what year if you can find an 03 you will deffinitly get into it for under 30K as far as an 04 you can do it just dont deal with their BS if they say they cant walk out and go somewhere else!

EDIT: as well please be careful with this car. alot of people that are young (no offense) will wrap this car around a tree or pole.

Last edited by RaleighEVOVIII; May 12, 2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old May 12, 2004, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

if i were you i wouldn't even consider an evo. your parents are right. it is too much car for you. you need to learn proper driving in another car first to really appreciate an evo. depending where you live insurance will very but your age will play a huge factor in the price. you should look into some other cars that you will be able to enjoy more considering you are 17 and prolly don't have that much income and won't be able to maintain the evo much less mod it. i am not trying to shoot down your dream or anything. i mean i am only 24. my first car was a neon sport. a measly 150hp. i modded that thing with all the bolt ons short of a turbo. drove the hell out of it. learned from it. yes i still think i could have used a couple stages between that car and my evo. just a piece of advice.

you need to be an experienced driver to harness the potential of an evo. i am still a novice. therefore you are a beginner. and it would prolly be a waste and dangerous for you. especially with peer pressure and such to do stupid stuff.

anyhow...goodluck
Old May 12, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heshamnaim
my first car was a neon sport. a measly 150hp. i modded that thing with all the bolt ons short of a turbo. drove the hell out of it. learned from it. yes i still think i could have used a couple stages between that car and my evo. just a piece of advice.
LOL A NEON. that was my second car! Drove the heck out of it. sold it for a mustang, then went to the evo. made a very nice curve for learning. Listen to heshamnaim he is right learn your way into an EVO.
Old May 12, 2004, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok man, it was last july when i got my evo and i was 18. My dad understands that the EVO8 comes with everything i wanted on my first car. you know the seats turbo and brake and ect. but i also got my parents trust with my driving cause i drove under the law. do i speed? Yes. but to know when not to speed is the most important thing. anyways i really am not to sure how my payments are but i know that they aren't cheap. by the way i got a fully loaded evo 8 at 27,300 with out tax. anyways good luck with what ever you get man
later\
Old May 12, 2004, 04:34 PM

My friend's first car was/is a WRX and he just drove it for awhile and is now able to drive it like he has been driving rally cars for multiple years, taking sharp turns easily. This isn't my first car either by the way, but I have been driving a truck (for 2 years) not a rally car so it is a big difference.
Old May 13, 2004, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Heck, I'm 28 and this is too much car for me

Seriously, it's not a knock on you that people are telling you to hold off. I was a very responsible driver from 16 to 22, but did some insanely stupid things once in a while. Thankfully the Nissan Sentra, Honda Civic, Toyota van, and Plymouth Reliant couldn't get me into THAT much trouble.

After that I got a Tiburon (MY first car), which I think is a great starter sport-coupe. Fun, but not insanely fast. I learned a lot about performance driving on it and how the brakes are probably the most important feature of a sports car. All in all, it gave me a lot of lessons that have translated nicely to the EVO.

So I don't think you need to start out with some hand-me-down beaters like I did; but a good peppy FWD 4 banger is a good start. Your insurance will thank you, your parents will sleep better, and once you get a few years of clean driving record, the 300+ HP EVOs will be out and better than ever.

As for my insurance (not that it compares), $1200 a year -- clean driving record, alumni discount, steady customer for 8 years now, over 25.

good luck in whatever you do,
a
Old May 13, 2004, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

I personally believe that speeding is an act of the driver, not the car itself. An impatient young driver will push whatever car he has to its limits, and it is dangerous because the car may not handle well at such speed. In my opinion, sports cars are by far the safest cars. They can go, stop, and turn almost immediately, and is far more capable of avoilding an accident. Can you imagine driving 110mph in a Toyota Echo?
Old May 13, 2004, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Fob
I personally believe that speeding is an act of the driver, not the car itself. An impatient young driver will push whatever car he has to its limits, and it is dangerous because the car may not handle well at such speed. In my opinion, sports cars are by far the safest cars. They can go, stop, and turn almost immediately, and is far more capable of avoilding an accident. Can you imagine driving 110mph in a Toyota Echo?
LMMFAO....Umm i couldnt dream of driving a toyota echo period...But I see what your saying...On the flip side of this argument is that...a "Sports car" hence the evo, has much more power and acceleration then a "toyota echo" , for example. Therefore most kids that are takin corners in the echo at 110...are going to be the same 17 year olds flyin down busy freeways at 157, and wrapping this masterpiece around innocent trees.-..-shrugs-..Just depends on how you look at it I suppose
Old May 13, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my insurence is less than it was with my 99 gsx. two more doors = less $$
Old May 13, 2004, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
My insurance is @ $100 a month with no pionts, which is less than my 240sx was. As far as getting killed in an Evo goes, it all about the driver not the car. If your drive like a dumbass you could get yourself killed in just about anything. As long as your are responsible and understand that the road is not a racetrack you should be fine. If not we'll just call it natural selection.
Old May 13, 2004, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

What parent in their right mind gives a 17 year old kid a $30,000 car that has the performance nearing the top supercars in the world?

Kid, get a POS Civic and spend the rest on travel and college. Learn to understand the engineering behind the Evo, how it is built, what business deals have to be done to build it, what impact it has on the world. What a waste otherwise....
Old May 13, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
What parent in their right mind gives a 17 year old kid a $30,000 car that has the performance nearing the top supercars in the world?

Kid, get a POS Civic and spend the rest on travel and college. Learn to understand the engineering behind the Evo, how it is built, what business deals have to be done to build it, what impact it has on the world. What a waste otherwise....

yea i totally agree. this car is not just a payment and insurance, you f'ing marry it. It is not at all cheap to maintain, and i'm not even counting the racing/modding scene. I just daily drive mine and it is a lil ***** when it comes to keeping it maintained.

Plus, as a teen you have many more things to be worried about, aka go get into college and do something. Working at a gas station pumping all your money into your car payments is the stupidest thing ever. (not saying this is you, but i see it all the time)
Old May 13, 2004, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Hi knoxvillevo,

sorry to see so much playa-hatin' coming your way. To all the h8rz: I can understand the concern about a 17 year old driving an Evo, but I'd much rather see him driving an AWD performance car (with great handling, good brakes, etc.) than some POS Mustang, Camaro, etc... and there's plenty of kidz driving those.

HOWEVER ... here's what you have to ask yourself, knoxvillevo: does this car scare you?
- if the answer is YES, then you might do alright
- if the answer to that question is NO, then don't even think about getting it

I've been driving for 17+ years and I have a healthy amount of respect for my Evo and even more for my bike (VF800 ) Even with that, my Evo has already scared the living $heot out of me on one occasion ... wasn't the cars fault, it was all mine.

If you are dead set on getting the car, then tell your parents that you will go to a driving school as part of the deal. When I got my first motorcycle at 19, I went to a motorcycle school and it made a huge difference. Now, 14 years later, I will once again be going to a driving school, so that I can learn to properly drive my Evo. If someone like me with over 500,000 miles of driving experience feels that this is a worthwhile investment, then I dare say that it should be mandatory for you.

The bottom line is that you have to respect this car. IMO no respect = wreck. Good luck on your quest ... I hope it all works out for the best.